PDA

View Full Version : without shinguard in sanda

jungle-mania
11-11-2004, 08:45 AM
This question is more for sanda fighters. The sanda rules for my country have been changed. Previously, shin/instep guards were used, but they have removed it from future comps. Does this change the gameplan alot?

Ray Pina
11-11-2004, 08:52 AM
It wouldn't for me.

Shaolinlueb
11-11-2004, 08:53 AM
depends how well conditioned your shins are. :D, if you were depending on the pads, well um, b etter start conditioning them. if you didnt then just do what you do.

Mutant
11-11-2004, 10:55 AM
even with use of shin pads you should be conditioning shins and the rest of your legs.
without shin pads (i havent fought w/o shin pads, but some of my training partners have) conditioning becomes even more critical. whether it changes your game plan/fight strategy may depend on the fights format, if youre just fighting one pre-arranged match and can spend your shins, or if its a round-robin type tournament where you fight multiple times if you keep winning. in that case you might try to save your legs for later fights if possible. of course a lot depends on what your opponent does and on your individuals attributes and style of fighting.
the bottom line is, you need to condition your legs for this.

Suntzu
11-11-2004, 11:58 AM
think gawd for adrenaline........

Ray Pina
11-11-2004, 01:32 PM
Also, I think technique should be one TRYING to avoid shin on shin collision.

Even if you train your iron shin, who's to say the other guy hasn't trained his titatium, or diamond shin. Unless of course you have the most conditioned shin in the world. Then it doesn't matter.

ShaolinTiger00
11-11-2004, 02:00 PM
like Sun Tzu & MW said.. 1 fight. no problem. I won't even feel it until I come down from the rush. and that's why baby jeebus gave up beer and advil.

tournament.. ugh... that's gonna be much harder.. MW said it.. keep em safe. use movement instead of blocks!

I only wear shinpads when sparring full out. never on the heavy bag, never on pad drills and never on 2 man drills ( ex. he does a combo and I do the defense and switch etc..).

keep your shins as conditioned as possible.

Shaolinlueb
11-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
keep your shins as conditioned as possible.

a guy a itrian with used to be in the army in thailand, he used to kick banana trees. he showed me the scar where his shin split open one day. i asked him where i could fine one he said jsut kick steel........ :(

ShaolinTiger00
11-11-2004, 03:40 PM
Shaolin lueb if it makes you feel any better, every Muay Thai fighter I've ever known conditions his shins in only one way.

kicking a heavy bag over and over again..

even when the thai's "spar" it's much lighter contact than americans.

since they start training at age 7.. spend all day at thai camps.. fight weekly or biweekly for years.. the result is rock hard shins. no magic tricks, no kicking trees, no tapping the shins, no bottles..

just kick the bag! and massage your shins and do it again tomorow. :)

IronFist
11-11-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
he used to kick banana trees. he showed me the scar where his shin split open one day.

His shin split open like his lower leg skin? Or his shin split open like the bone itself?

I keep hearing about shin injuries recently.

:(

IronFist
11-11-2004, 04:20 PM

Really? I thought they were really hardcore about it. Aren't they all about realistic training so that it's closer to a realistic fight situation? Sparring softly doesn't really prepare you for a fight that much.

Please explain.

jungle-mania
11-11-2004, 06:54 PM
Looks like there is no way around it, back to the old steel pipe, rolling pins and punching bags for me. Gonna be 6 months of tears and doing to frankenstein walk.

Since we at the topic of conditioning shins, anyone here knows how to check on your shins are conditioned properly without severely damaging any veins or getting uneven bumps on your shin?

I have got very bumpy shins from my training, a kyukushin guy I know said I should lay off the conditioning for a while and let my bones heal properly. However, since then I never got around to conditioning my shins. =P

Shaolinlueb
11-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Shaolin lueb if it makes you feel any better, every Muay Thai fighter I've ever known conditions his shins in only one way.

kicking a heavy bag over and over again..

since they start training at age 7.. spend all day at thai camps.. fight weekly or biweekly for years.. the result is rock hard shins. no magic tricks, no kicking trees, no tapping the shins, no bottles..

just kick the bag! and massage your shins and do it again tomorow. :)

yeah the guy was in the military from age 8-15 when he came to america

ShaolinTiger00
11-11-2004, 07:09 PM
IronFist,

no.. the hardheaded Western mindset say's "**** those guys are tough S.o.b.'s we better beat the crap out of each other and we'll be like them!"

but the truth is that over a lifetime of light-medium sparring, their toughness is an accumulation. they are fighting every few weeks so they're never out of shape or out of condition.

This sparring style helps the fighters experiment and develop.

joedoe
11-11-2004, 07:28 PM
IronFist,

no.. the hardheaded Western mindset say's "**** those guys are tough S.o.b.'s we better beat the crap out of each other and we'll be like them!"

but the truth is that over a lifetime of light-medium sparring, their toughness is an accumulation. they are fighting every few weeks so they're never out of shape or out of condition.

This sparring style helps the fighters experiment and develop.

It would probably also help to avoid the severe training injuries.

Suntzu
11-12-2004, 08:07 AM
I keep hearing about shin injuries recently. stop being a puss......... and go fight........... or something...

Looks like there is no way around it, back to the old steel pipe, rolling pins and punching bags for me. Gonna be 6 months of tears and doing to frankenstein walk. or you could just kick the heavybags and thai pads and walk like a normal human being....

they are fighting every few weeks so they're never out of shape or out of condition. must be nice....

Mutant
11-12-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by jungle-mania
Looks like there is no way around it, back to the old steel pipe, rolling pins and punching bags for me. Gonna be 6 months of tears and doing to frankenstein walk.
=P

you shouldnt have to suffer that much. while conditioning your legs and shins does involve a degree of discomfort and tough training, its not about beating the hell out of body in a sort of self flagellation.

as st00 and suntzu said, its a gradual build up through hours of drills, pad and bag work with varying degrees of impact over time. you have to be kicking the bag(s) and pads with a gazillion reps anyway if you want to ring fight successfully, so this will form the basis of conditioning. there are certain focused tempering drills to do, but again, ramping it up gradually is important so you won't injure yourself. because if you rush it, it will involve more pain and injury that could side-line you. this process should take care of most of your shin conditioning. you will probably want to roll your shins anyway after a while to massage out the inevitable bumps and bruises you'll get from sparring. if you want shins of steel like marvin, then you might want to knock on them with steel and all that, but thats after you've already developed a good base conditioning. otherwise you will be walking around like frankenstein's monster...

btw, your shins will get knarled up to some degree no matter what in sanda, it just goes with the territory. the only way to avoid pain is to quit this type of training and take up golf.