PDA

View Full Version : 11.11

Mr Punch
11-11-2004, 08:52 AM
Anyone Remember this one? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Somme_%281916%29).

There have always been dumb ****s in charge.

Lest We Forget.

Shaolinlueb
11-11-2004, 08:55 AM
hmm i dont even think my grandfather was born then. never really learned too much about the battles of ww1 in school.

tug
11-11-2004, 06:11 PM
It seems evident that you are correct, Mat. Basically we as humans have not yet grown out of our feral, warlike, dominatory attitudes.

You watch sci-fi? In most movies where the humans meet the aliens, or vice-versa, the meeting usually turns into a conflict of sorts, a misunderstanding of why we do what we do, and the request for help often is turned down because of one constant that has been with us since the beginning of our race - WAR.

It is embarrassing, shameful, and decidedly NOT kung fu, or at least not what the kung fu definition stands for today.

Don't get me wrong, I am in complete support of our young brothers and sisters in harm's way, I wouldn't wish their fate on any enemy, they are, after all, just doing what they think is right. You can't fault them for it. But as for the war itself, I just wish it weren't an option.

SPJ
11-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Greatest respect to all the soldiers fought the dreaded trench wars of all time in human history.

There were 80,000 Chinese cooks and laborers on the allied side.

The introduction of machine guns, barbed wires, poisonous gas, bacteria or biological agents, non stop artillery shelling, etc.

With the intro of tanks, trench war was no more.

The tank may roll over wires, and narrow trenches, it armor against machine guns and rifles, with a mobile cannon and machine gun of its own, etc.

The next war will be armor, speed, firepower on bigger and faster tanks (Panzer).

The trench war would be replaced by air power, armor motorized forces etc.

SPJ
11-11-2004, 09:11 PM
The longest trenches and tunnels are actually in 38 degree parallel that stand between the North and South Korea since the "50.

The infantry still needs trenches as defense against rifles and artillery.

Empowered by satellite uplink and info feed, the infantry may take out armor and tanks with shoulder held missiles.

Or just call fire support from nearby artillery, helicopter, airplanes etc.

Mr Punch
11-11-2004, 09:17 PM
One of the whole points of modern rememberance for me is as a reminder to uphold and tighten the safeguards in place to prevent the use of biochemical weapons, the illegal imprisonment and mistreatment of prisoners and the wilful or careless destruction of disproportionate numbers of civilians, and not degenerating into the 'two-wrongs-make-a-right' principal.

Becca
11-12-2004, 01:00 AM
I read a good sci-fi book a few months back that had an interesting point of view on why human kind has been stuck in this moral rut for so many thousands of years. It's called "The footprints of God", or some such thing. Can't remember to author right now, though.

FuXnDajenariht
11-12-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Becca
I read a good sci-fi book a few months back that had an interesting point of view on why human kind has been stuck in this moral rut for so many thousands of years. It's called "The footprints of God", or some such thing. Can't remember to author right now, though.

lol aaaand....

dont tease us.... :p whats the footprints of god?

Becca
11-13-2004, 12:45 AM
??? it's a book. I already told you that.:p And I think the name of the author is Dale Brown. I loaned it to a freind, so I can't look right now.

But since you asked, the book was focused on a radical new idea to creat true artificial intelligence. This one supper smart guy realized that he didn't have to understand how the human brain worked to modle an AI super computer after it. In the prosses he inadvetently ****ed off God... They key behind understanding who to make the AI computer work, according to "God" lay in evolution and how evolution inevetably stopped human sossial development. I'll leave this here for those of you who might want to read this book.