PDA

View Full Version : Self-Studying Tai Chi, Aikido and Judo

Gar Imagi
11-11-2004, 05:19 PM
'Ello everyone, I'm new to the forum and martial arts, so please forgive me if I come off as a little naive.

Because of me being in an extremely isolated place (rural North Carolina), having little money or transportation and having no near tutor that I know of, I have no means to study the soft/internal martial arts that I seek to. Namely Tai Chi, Aikido, Judo, Shorinji kempo, and Hung Gar (soft by comparison).

My question today is, through online instruction (know any websites?) or books (know any good books?), is it possible for me to study any or all of these martial arts? Also, which of these martial arts do you think I should study first?

Palmer
11-11-2004, 05:40 PM
There are good training options in the triangle. I have lived there and actually commute back to continue to learn. If you are seriously looking for a teacher of IMA in Raleigh PM me.

unixfudotnet
11-12-2004, 06:37 AM
Unfortunately, there at things you just can not learn by a book correctly :) There are tons of little things that a teacher can correct you on that is just not possible in books/online.

I wish you luck though, and understand how you feel (till I ended up moving here in Scranton, PA, there were not much options for me... and Karate is something I will never take ;) ).

Ray Pina
11-12-2004, 09:24 AM
I'm thinking of learning how to swim, but have no pool, lake or ocean access .... not even a large tub.

Know of any books or videos that could teach me?

Sorry Gar. It's sort of that way. Look around. Maybe you will find someone. You'll be surprised. Put up some flyers seaking instruction. If all else fails study what's around. Even if it means working out with the local wrestling team.

SevenStar
11-15-2004, 09:46 PM
send a pm to oso. He teaches kung fu in nc.