PDA

View Full Version : Full Contact Vid Clip

ntc
11-11-2004, 08:07 PM
Came across this in another clip... thought I'd share. This is very much how a lot of full contact fighting tournaments (lui tai bei mo) are done in China. Techniques may look very raw, but the hits are all real, and using direct applications from forms. Note also that the floor is made of soft wood, and not padded like a lot of tournament flooring is done these days. Oftentimes, hardly any sparring equipment is used (some not even groin cups). One may of course think this is foolish, but also remember that I am talking about China, where such equipment are luxury items, often not available nor affordable by most.

Enjoy:

http://www.jiayo.com/videos/86_leitai.mov

Matrix
11-11-2004, 08:42 PM
Interesting.....

I think the music sets the appropriate tone for that clip. :D

thanks for sharing.

ntc
11-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Bill... very welcome.

ntc
11-11-2004, 09:00 PM
I've had a few people ask me what "Lui Tai Bei Mo" meant.

Well, first of all, I believe in the US it means full-contact sparring.

Direct translating:

"LUI" - sound of thunder
"TAI" - altar, or an elevated platform
"BEI" - to compare
"MO" - means "martial"; same as "wu" in "wu shu"

Hence, the whole phrase means a platform on which martial arts are compared and accompanied by thunder-like sounds.

mortal
11-12-2004, 09:58 AM
Those guys sucked.

I didn't know they had a Mcdojo system in china. I bet those guys were black belts. lolo

There is already a thread on this. You could read the rest of my critiques there.

Also you could tell these guys did forms for ten years with out ever actually fighting. Probably due to that whole loss of face thing Chinese are so worried about.

ntc
11-12-2004, 10:43 AM
That is correct... it is in the main kung fu forum area. Here is the link:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33698

And there's always going to be those individuals who can't wait to step in and start criticizing and stereotyping...... tsk tsk tsk!!!

mortal
11-12-2004, 11:49 AM
Just giving my honest opinion based on my kung fu experiance.

Unfortunatley my honest opinion sounds like bashing in this case.

True there are a couple of good throws but they came after the other guys wild, totally open, attack.