PDA

View Full Version : Do people test you?

Sim Koning
11-12-2004, 04:48 PM
Do people test you? There have been many times at work when someone finds out I know kung fu and they get the bright idea to test me. I guess it doesn't help that I'm only 5'10'' 160 lbs. Every big guy I know wants to show me that they can beat be up to satisfy their ego I guess. Just today, my Boss at work, who is about 6'2'', 230 lbs, out of nowhere tried to take me down with a double leg, I saw him coming so I sprawled immediately and hooked my arm under his and pushed him to the side. He tried to lock my arm under his armpit and left his throat exposed. I reached up and squeezed his trachea with my finger tips and he said "ok" and let go. Of course, with his ego a little bruised I think, he came up behind me while I was just trying to punch out for the day and lifted me over his shoulders. This is just one of many examples where people try to test me out at work just find that martial arts training does work.

Do any of you guys have the same problem? If so, post your stories here.

SifuAbel
11-12-2004, 04:52 PM
You work for an idiot that should be sued for harrasment.

norther practitioner
11-12-2004, 04:59 PM
lol at abel...
sometimes.. not too much any more though. I don't really tell everyone I study either.

ShaolinTiger00
11-12-2004, 05:04 PM
No. They know better. :)

SifuAbel
11-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Did you have to pay for the new dry wall? Or is it being kept that way as a reminder.

Sim Koning
11-12-2004, 07:56 PM
I have to say that I feel good about how I reacted, I actually didn't mind being tested like that. I'm glad that I reacted without thought and did the right things. In those few seconds, I sprawled as I was taught in San Shou, I directed him to the side using a chin na technique, and I grabbed his trachea (hard) with an eagle claw technique that I learned from the Sub Dok Sau form of Hung Gar.

SPJ
11-12-2004, 08:18 PM
When I worked in New Jersey;

A Judo/BJJ coworker always liked to test my Tai Ji.

At one time, he sneaked behind me and put his right arm on my neck and his left hand holding his right wrist.

He asked, what you gonna do about it?

I said nothing.

Let me have a drink of the soda, then I will talk.

So he let go.

After a sip, I said.

I could stamp on your feet, elbow your abdomen, grab your groins, move up and suddenly drop down (Ti and An as in Tai Ji Qi Shi), grab one of your thumb and bend,

Wait, another sip.

I could lean forward a bit and lean all the way back and we both fall to the ground, I grab your wrist or forearm with both hands, thus free my neck, do a hip or over the shoulder throw,

Wait, another sip.

I move my head forward a bit, then move back suddenly and bang your nose, I grab your hairs, ears,

But at first, I have to protect my neck by wedging one of hand between my neck and your arm, or prying open your locking arm by bending one your fingers.

Sorry out of soda.

No soda, no talk.

Actually, you know more about what to do, then I do.

:D

Chang Style Novice
11-12-2004, 08:28 PM
I'm big. 6'2" and 240lbs (or thereabouts, yeah, more than I should be)

So, most people aren't really interested in testing.

SevenStar
11-12-2004, 08:41 PM
dayum, forreal? you never struck me as a big guy...

PHILBERT
11-12-2004, 08:49 PM
I just keep my mouth shut now about it. A few people know, but like its less than a handful. About 2 years ago everyone and there dog knew, but almost everyone has quit/left since then except like 3 people.

SevenStar
11-12-2004, 09:59 PM
It happened to me when I was in high school and working at super kmart - but I never really considered it "testing" because the environment is so controlled - we're at work, after all. Even when we were back in the warehouse, it would never get too rowdy, so to me, it was just playing.

FuXnDajenariht
11-12-2004, 10:17 PM
if u dont mind too much u could ask ur boss if he wants to train with ya alil, but tell him its probably best not to do that work, to maintain professionalism. if hes really interested though you could show him a few moves after work, or he could check our ur skool?

Sim Koning
11-13-2004, 01:52 AM
What I mean by being "tested" is that most people that pull that with me are doing just that, they want to see if its for real. In a way, I don't really mind, because like Seven Star said, it is just messing around. There is like only 2 or 3 kung fu schools here in Michigan and its not too common to run into someone who is any good at it. The problem for me is that I basically risk my own well being in an attempt to promote the school, because the number of students we have has been dropping a bit, so I do my best to help out. I'm not a big guy, so I'm like a prime target for a bully. I NEVER let anyone know when I'm at a party or with a bunch of strangers though. It would be very tempting for some bruiser to try and kick my ass just so he could say he beat up a blackbealt.

David Jamieson
11-13-2004, 08:57 AM
man, where do you guys live and work? palooka ville?

what sort of work environment would put yuou into a situation that comes right out of middle school?

sorry to sound so surprised, but those behaviours border on retardedness.

Hau Tien
11-13-2004, 09:37 AM
While I agree that the employer's behavior is inappropriate, I've been "tested" somewhat, too.

I'm a fairly decent sized guy... 6'1", 180lbs and pretty lean so I don't get tested in a "combat" way very often. Most people I know are aware I practice martial arts, but think it's just "tai chi" (I practice Liu He Ba Fa, Xing Yi and Bagua). They basically assume I'm some sort of hippy who is into bodybuilding and fitness.

Two of my closer coworkers one day were trying to punch through a piece of wood (and I work in an office... ahaha... I'm a programmer... we tend to be an odd and crazy bunch :P) and they were having no luck whatsoever. I was kind of chuckling off to the side cause they were making "cat noises" like Bruce Lee as they danced around. They turned to me and started making fun saying I should "tai chi" the board and generally making buffoon statements about trying to break the board slowly, etc.

I generally don't display techniques at work, so I surprised them when I agreed to show them I could. They scoffed a few times, then held out the board for me.

It was just a piece of crappy office furniture wood, so it was very easy to beng quan it in half with no outward display of "power". Of course, these guys had just been trying to break it and were VERY surprised how easy it looked.

It was almost funny how quick their attitude about what I do changed. Occasionally they now ask me serious questions about martial arts,a nd I've agreed to demonstrate some simple techniques on them and let them try them out on me. It's interesting to see people's perspectives change once they've been exposed properly to something. They think it's awesome that they're doing "tai chi" (try as i might, they still can't get their heads around the fact that LHBF is not Tai Chi) and that it works for fighting.

Anyway... just thought I'd add that little story and my comments in ;)

El Tejon
11-13-2004, 10:57 AM
Only by my sifu. And judging by his tears of disappointment, I don't think I'm doing that well.:D

Chang Style Novice
11-13-2004, 11:39 AM
7* -

for real. I'm not in great shape, though. My body fat is probably something like 87%. I don't look THAT bad, though, so I figure I'm pretty much regarded as a hulking lummox by most folks.

FuXnDajenariht
11-13-2004, 12:52 PM
ha....87% would make you that lil alien thing from men in black.

:D

greetings....

Shadow Skill
11-13-2004, 02:13 PM
yes I've been tested by football players that said it doesn't work...they were in for a rude awakening.

Shaolinlueb
11-13-2004, 03:51 PM
"i was conversing with this sanda champion in china and he kicked me hard to see if i could take it" thats what my friend told me when he was in china for 2 months. does that count as test? :D

Waxwood rod
11-13-2004, 04:07 PM
If people test me, I give them a try. Why not? Its a ;tle sparing for free. If i lose i learned something. if I win I also learn. Nothing wrong with a friendly match up. I suffer bruises, the occasional broken nose, what's the big deal. if you want to learn how to fight you have to fight.

IronFist
11-15-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by SifuAbel
You work for an idiot that should be sued for harrasment.

mortal
11-15-2004, 03:14 PM
I demonstrated on some friends from work. Now they are all afraid of me. I like to show off. I know poor wu de.

joedoe
11-15-2004, 03:37 PM
We have a guys here at work who reckons that I have wasted my time training MA for so long - all you need to do is go beserk. Funny thing is that when we are mucking around he goes straight into the turtle position as soon as I launch a combo.

mortal
11-15-2004, 03:43 PM
"Funny thing is that when we are mucking around he goes straight into the turtle position as soon as I launch a combo."

That is so true. lolo

unixfudotnet
11-16-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
I'm big. 6'2" and 240lbs (or thereabouts, yeah, more than I should be)

So, most people aren't really interested in testing.

Same here. And not all fat either, I am just a big guy :)

It is nice to know that praying mantis and Yang family taijiquan have big guys that are masters in the lineage :)

Anywho, on topic, no one has to me yet. I have always got along with people though. Had a drunk guy in a bar trying to start stuff with me, and rather than argue with him, I agreed with him. He wanted to fight and argue.

Also, if anyone thought or asked if they could beat me, I would probably agree with them. CMA is technically about fighting, but it isn't ;) The way you hold yourself and handle situations and how you look on life will win more fights before they even start... which is what the point of learning to defend yourself is all about anyways isn't it? ;)

--

It is unfortunate that some are insecure with themselves to feel they have to dominate something to feel better. Yet, just one of those things that will always remain the same.

Dark Knight
11-16-2004, 09:28 AM
I'm a black belt in a couple styles. When I taught full time it was never an issue other than a student getting a big ego.

Once I sold the school and was out in real life it started. You would tell a friend you do MA, then they would tell someone else...

My fun ones were in Basic Training in the Army. We had a couple guys who talked trash about how they were brown belts and could beat anyone. I never said I was in the arts, so I told them that MA dont work. They start getting excoted and telling me I dont know what I am talking about.

So I said I would bet them $5 I could tap them on the back of the head before they placed a kick on me (They should have kicked me on the toes, easy win).

They agree. He gets in a fighting stance, I asked if he was ready, he said yes, I shuffled foward, swept the front leg to turn him and tapped him on the back of the head.

I got my $5 and he looked foolish in front of his friends.

I got to do that twice in basic :)

I get people who find out I'm a Black belt and they make comments (You dont look like it, You dont look that fasat...) I keep two sets of gloves in my car, I let them know if they want to find out Ill go get the gloves.

No one has taken me up on it.

But its funny, you can see it in their eyes, they are dying to find out but wont take the chance.

People who know how to fight dont make comments like that.

I have had other MA people ask to work out with me. But thats not any challenges or test.

Dark Knight
11-16-2004, 09:42 AM
Actually, now that i thought about it. When I go to new schools (I move around for my job) I have run into guys who want to prove something. They usually tell you that they want to go easy then unload on you.

I had this happen a couple of times, I would back off then get ready to come back hard, they could see it and then call someone else up to spar.

Now when I go some where i tell them i work out with them for a while before I spar, that way everyone gets to know me and use to me and the ego's go away.

I have been at a couple seminars where it turned into slug fest because someone had a big ego.

I can take a solid strike to deliver one back.

Gene Labelle talks about back in the 60's he was in France for a tournament. At the end he was talking to some people and a french Black belt asked if he could get a photo of him throwing Gene. So Gene said sure.

The next day the photo was in the paper and the caption was that the Frenchman defeated the American Champion.

Since then Gene said he does no photos on the mat.

I tell that story to people who I do not know well that want to sapr in theri school. I then tell them of past experiences and I will spar but they need to get to know me first.

I dont mind going full contact, but I want to know thats what you want first, not tell me its point then you unload.

Everyone here will have this happen if they stay in long enough, keep these stories in mind to avoid problems.

Dark Knight
11-16-2004, 09:56 AM
One more thought :)

These fights dont happen very often, I have been in the arts for over 25 years.

But you never know when it will.

Workout constantly be ready to put the gloves on or bare knuckle, train realistically, get in good shape and stay there.

You should be ready to fight anytime any place.

scotty1
11-16-2004, 10:19 AM
Interesting posts DK. :)

GeneChing
11-16-2004, 11:18 AM
I used to get "tested" a lot when I was younger, when I taught more. I'm 5'8", used to be around 130 (note the 'used to be':rolleyes: ) and used to work the front door of a kwoon. Most of the people who wanted to test me then, I could 'jedi mind' trick (you know, "You don't want to test me", "I don't want to test you", "You want to sign up for classes", "I want to sign up for classes") - people who are into overt tests like that are as simple minded as stormtroopers and easy to manipulate with jedi skills. But still, occassionally, push did come to shove, and I always went for something painful immediately, which ended the test. When they had me outgunned in the bicep department (not hard to do), well, I'm a weapons man, it's amazing what you can do with a simple push pin.

Nowadays, given my position, I do the testing. :D

Of course, it's not like I'm going around challenging every master that walks into this office - although I've had a few masters who've tested me - and I've always failed at those. I mean, come on, they are masters. If they want to assert their skill on me personally, that's a bit silly really. It's a fast way to fail my test. Who cares about their test? If anyone says I have little skill, I'll heartily agree. Now I love when I can get a quick pointer from some master, of course, but the ones that are so egotistical that they come at me with something to prove, they flunk.

To me, tests are like those old Shaw brothers films. You both know you have skills. You just want to see how much skill. So you pick your arena and on a hig level, it's not an overt figth. Maybe it's trying to spill your challengers drink in a toast. Maybe it's trying to squash their tray of tofu. Maybe it's trying to mess up their clean floor. Of course, those are movie tests. Here in the 'real world' of Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine, the test is usually a mixture of business and ego. Some masters come in and ask to be on the cover immediately. That's a quick failure. Some masters ask for us to do everything for them. That's another failure. Some masters walk into our studio or an interview, complete unprepared. Failure. Waste our time. Big failure. It never ceases to amaze me how poorly some very well-known masters can behave.

On the flip side, there are some masters who are absolutely amazing - high above normal beings. True inspirations. That keeps me going. That tests me in a totally different way - how to convey their magnitude.

OK, I've totally gone off topic. Sorry. Just remember - push pins. ;)

norther practitioner
11-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Gene was the poster hanger at the old kwoon, thats why he had pockets full of those pins.;) :p

Gene, have you ever had a couple masters run into each other at the office that weren't quite on the best of terms (obviously you don't have to say names but..) ?

Serpent
11-16-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
Here in the 'real world' of Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine
Hah!

GeneChing
11-17-2004, 10:21 AM
have you ever had a couple masters run into each other at the office that weren't quite on the best of terms (obviously you don't have to say names but..) ? Not in recent memory. We're pretty good about that. When we did our 10th Anniversary Gala Benefit (http://www.martialartsmart.net/dvdca107set.html) seating was a bit crazy due to 'politics' but generally, we schedule our appointments here (excepting the few 'rude' locals who might drop in unannounced - and they get what they deserve) so we keep warring factions apart.

I used to carry a long needle - when I was a kid, I ordered some cheesy ninja weapon and all they gave me was this long needle set in a plastic handle - I modified the idea. It was one of many rather silly weapons I carried in my youth and never really had to use. However, having them did give me the confidence to look challengers in the eye with that kind of targeted gaze that said 'that's where I'm gonna stick this needle'.

bung bo
11-17-2004, 02:43 PM
It annoys me when plebians want to "test" me. It makes me wonder why they think something that's been around for so long is useless. Got something to prove, I guess. I've never had to use MA in a real fight. (my only real fight was a shoving match with josh mordy in sixth grade) Mostly stuff like this happens to me at work after I tell the boss I'd like nights off because I practice MA and the boss tells my coworkers. Some people are cool and ask questions with a genuine interest in what I do, and I'll give them genuine answers and tell them they can come to class with me anytime. Once a guy at work asked to "jet li" somebody who was getting on his nerves. Another time a kid say me practicing in the park and wanted to show me his BJJ and had me standing up in some sort of choke. my knee was between his legs and dangerously close to his groin. He asked me what I was going to do and I said," What do you think?" It was obvious. He was 14 and I'm 22 (but everyone tells me I look 18), so it wouldn't have looked good to let this have one right in the kiwis. He showed me a little bit of his stuff and I could've hit him again, and then all his friends asked me if he "beat me up."

In another context, I try to test myself as much as I can. Like being totally relaxed throughout my body, regulate my breath evenly, being ambidextrous, not to mention practicing gong fu.

Tydive
11-17-2004, 05:23 PM
I have been "tested" a few times at work. I have a heavy bag here in the office (one of those self standing ones full of sand) that I have used to good effect a few times.

We had a customer service guy who claimed to be a rated boxer and he was very intent on "sparring" with me. However I really did not like him and know that it would have quickly become a real fight... so I took him to the bag and we had a little "who can hit harder & faster" competition. After that he stopped talking smack.

Dark Knight
11-18-2004, 05:14 AM
"He showed me a little bit of his stuff and I could've hit him again, and then all his friends asked me if he "beat me up."

I had an ex student start telling his buddies he stoped training with me because he kick my a$$.

I ran a cross him in town and asked him about it in front of his firends. he denied, so I said we should find out right now and everyone can see the results. he was backpedling fast in front of his friends.

This is common, I know many instructors who had students do the same, its usually a kid around 19 or 20 making these claims, they take class for about three months.

Chief Fox
11-18-2004, 09:41 AM
I've been tested many times but not in the physical sense.

During the summer my company has a softball team and I'm fisically fit so I get asked to play every week. The games are usually on the same nights that I have class. So I say "no sorry I have class" when I'm asked to play. They say "oh, what are you going to school for?" I say, "I take a kung fu class a few times a week". Then they start saying **** like "oh, are you gonna kick my ass". They start making hand motions and high pitched noises like Bruce Lee. I just laugh it off and don't take it personally. I don't get offended or challenge anyone to fight. Sometimes I say "you should come to my class sometime, it's fun" I get turned down everytime.

I would say that most of these people are people who always thought the martial arts were cool but never had the guts to try it out.