PDA

View Full Version : Kicking

S.Teebas
11-13-2004, 07:27 AM
What are good methods, or areas to concentrate on, to develop kicking power?

SAAMAG
11-13-2004, 07:49 AM
Well, first and foremost stretch your legs, whether you kick high or low, this will help reduce the possibility of injury and allow your legs to be more pliable and loose.

Keep structural alignment, you cannot achieve the most efficient power unless the technique is good. (Your hips my friend, your hips...) Also, balance is necessary for the best power.

Train actually kicking something. Training kicks in the air is fine, and I do it all the time, but if you have never made contact with a kick, you won't be likely to do it well the first time. Practice kicking pads, bags, whatever...all the while staying loose until the point of impact just as a punch.

*remember to bring the leg back quickly and control the kick. Don't let the kick control you.

AmanuJRY
11-13-2004, 09:56 AM
Doing SNT on one leg (while holding the other in kick position) is real good for developing base strength and balance. Also, for flexability (especially for the kick at the end of CK) do pleas (sp?)(like in ballet) or the goddess pose from yoga (or both), they really open up the hip joint (where I notice the most resistance, milage may vary).

For kicks themselves, get a kicking shield (a football hit shield will work) and kick it...........a lot.;)