PDA

View Full Version : There goes the Olympics... Climbing Rainier

Ford Prefect
11-13-2004, 08:29 AM
So I saw a show on summitting Mt Rainier, and it looked like a fun thing to do. Me and the wife are going to try to do it next summer. The climbers on the show and everything I've found on the web say you need to be in excellent physical condition to complete the climb, and I don't think being able to snatch 100kg is what they mean. ;) I'll have to start focussing more on strength, cardio, and anaerobic endurance in the coming months. It should be a fun time though. This will be a good prep before Killimanjaro although I think Killimanjaro is an easier climb even though it's 5,000 feet higher. Then to Everest! haha j/k I'm not that crazy.

Toby
11-13-2004, 08:52 AM
:( I love the mountains. I used to love ski touring.

What're you gunna do? Sled dragging would be kinda cool and I'd imagine use similar muscles to lugging a pack up an incline. You've got a sled too, haven't you?

Ford Prefect
11-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Yeah. I'm definately doing some sled pulls. I have a weight vest that I'll use more extensively too. I'm planning on building myself another sandbag and getting some farmer's walk implements from good ol' Jolly Saint Nick. I'll use my kettlebells and clubbells more as well as do more BWE's.

I figure I can split most work up into daily double sessions. In the mornings I'll still do heavy oly variations, squat/dl variations, kb/cb stuff, and some strongman training. In the evening of the same day, I'll do aerobic/anaerobic stuff, bwe's, and possibly some more strongman stuff and boxing. I could do that M-W-F. On T-Th I could do light jogging/biking, light bwe's for active recovery, and rock climbing. Complete rest on the weekends...

I dunno for sure yet. That's just the first thing to pop into my head. I'm also toying with:

M & Th: Heavy weights, intense strongman & endurance stuff
Tue & Fri: Intense strongman & endurance stuff
Wed & Sat: Light endurance (bwe/cardio) for active recovery
Sunday: Off

I figure I'll start in December, so I have a couple weeks to work it out.

rubthebuddha
11-13-2004, 11:42 AM
sweet deal ford! i've done most of rainier (up until you start needing the burlier gear, which none of us had). it's a beautiful mountain, and you'll enjoy every moment of it. when you're going, let me know and i'll see if i can hook you up with some necessities in the area (i grew up 90 minutes away).

Ford Prefect
11-13-2004, 02:12 PM
Awesome. Will do. I think RMI handles all that, but if they don't I'll let ya know. The plan is late July right now.

How was it? I always have a tough time gauging what people mean when they say "great physical shape" since most people think it's tough to get off the couch for 30 minutes/day to exercise. :)

rubthebuddha
11-13-2004, 07:43 PM
you have little to worry about, my good ford. i can hardly imagine you not having what's necessary physically for it, but if hell freezes over and you find your body lacking, just let your mind do the talking and have it give the orders. :)

Serpent
11-13-2004, 10:19 PM
Hey Ford - could you keep a training diary thread on here about your progress with that? It'd make interesting reading.

TonyM.
11-14-2004, 10:07 AM
It's a great climb! Plan on two and a half days for the first time. Get some experiance on ice first. The Nisqually glacier is a real bear.

rubthebuddha
11-14-2004, 01:03 PM
tony be right, but my guess is that he went further than i did. the whole area is beautiful, and it gets moreso the further you go.

ford -- will this be your first time to washington?

tony -- when did you climb it?

Ford Prefect
11-15-2004, 09:47 AM
Thanks, Tony. That's good to hear. You ski or ride in the North East?

Rub, Yup. My first time out there. Northern Cali is the closest I've come. ;)

Serp, will do.