PDA

View Full Version : Real experience

Dash Iros
11-13-2004, 07:42 PM
I've been pratcising artial arts for 3 years now and I was wondering if some real fighting experience (like a street fight) would be a nice experience for improving my fighting. I mean ... that is the only way to truly test your abilities...
Tell me what you tihnk about it.

Samurai Jack
11-13-2004, 08:20 PM
You should post this thread on the Kung fu forum. You'll get 'lots of useful information over there.

Serpent
11-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Actually, you should post it on the reality forum...

gfx
11-13-2004, 11:05 PM
How did you train during the 3 years?

What did you study?

I'd say put on some gears and go full strength with striking/throwing/ground, once you get really comfortable with that, take off some gears, i.e have only the glove and shinguard, plus a mouth guard. Then go from there.

don't go around picking fights.

edit: Oh I see, taekwondo. Have some gears and fight without taewondo rules with some experienced striker/grapplers is a good idea.

_William_
11-13-2004, 11:12 PM
No, don't pick a fight with someone just to gain fighting experience. It is more trouble than its worth.

Dash Iros
11-14-2004, 05:22 AM
Well , I've trained lots of martial arts with different masters , but I never specialized in only one kind of martial art. I also read lots of books like Bruce Lee's book about Jeet kune do , which he invented. I also trained at least 1 hour a day ever since I was 12 until today.

FooFighter
11-14-2004, 08:37 AM
I have been involved in physical culture of strength and martial culture since I was in my teens. To have a serious and to come to a common ground of understanding may I asked how you defined "real fighting experience?"

As you know, this definition or question you are asking may vary accordingly to the particular indivdual. I may be incorrect but I am assuming you're speaking about actual unexpected violent encounters instead of sport related combat?

I believe there is much to gain from both unexpected violent encounters and sport related combat. Who is right or wrong about what is actual fighting experience? There are plenty of attritubes that can be disover from each experience. The modern
day schools of realistic combatic centered camp such MMA, JKD; etc and traditional sport related martial camp such as Wing Chun, Karate, Chow Lay Fut, Etc speak poorly about what is lacking in other camp.

However these camps are both wrong if they believe they have an absolute hold on optimal performance in combat. It is always up to the indivdual to to use his intelligence to know there is no need to risk his life or personal properies to gain mental toughness through high risk experience. We are living within a construct of law and policies created by the state and are bound by these laws and by no means are we to act irresponsibly without regard its policies and fines for its violations. Therefore seeking trouble or violence can mean more trouble than what it is worth. We all have to prepare for the unexpected have confidence in ourselves when the time comes for us to act. I feel we can gain this mental toughness through proper understanding of competition and entering it without any attitudes. To undertand where I am comming from please check out Coach Scott Sonnon's book called, "3DPP: Three Dimenional Physical Preparedness for the Comabt Athlete." I highly recommend this book for those interested in this subject. The question remain is how can we adapt and stay "in the flow" when the time comes when we feel threaten? In both camps, this desire "to stay in flow" is more important than who is right or wrong in their approaches in training.