PDA

View Full Version : Stillness overcomes movement

SPJ
11-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Use things in stillness to overcome things in movement.

Yi Jin Zi Dong.

This is the theory of Tai Ji Quan.

Practice of most CMA is consisted of 2 parts.

Practice of stillness. Jin gong.

Practice of movement. Dong gong.

Use a small movement or minute movement to beat a large movement.

Use a small force to defeat a large force.

This is the main strategy that differs Wai Jia from Nei Jia.

Agreed or disagreed.

Comment?

SPJ
11-14-2004, 12:43 PM
A minute distance or change means a difference of a thousand miles.

Za Zi Hou Li Shi Zi Qien Li.

Does this mean anything to your school of MA study?

:confused:

hung-le
11-15-2004, 06:24 AM
Disagree

Most schools of thought regardless of classification adhere to those principles

Ray Pina
11-16-2004, 07:54 AM
I'm not a fan of catch phrases because I'm an American and live and train in America.

What I mean by that is, small movement (yes!) is still movement.

To say, "Use stillness to overcome movement," sounds awefully like staying put and taking abeating.

Actually, mobility is everything to me .... getting in, getting out, small movement but the ability to change, lift an elbow to block, etc.

So I'd rather say, "use simple/direct movement to overcome gross and waistly movement."

XVampireX
11-17-2004, 08:12 AM
There is a huge philosophy behind the stillness overcomes movement arguement.

Try to think of the statement: "Movement comes from Stillness"

Ray Pina
11-17-2004, 09:29 AM
I understand it. I just wish things could be said more directly.

"Stillness over comes motion" means less to me than, "Get a good structure. Learn to relax and trust your mechanics. Get comfortable facing these violent situations. Then just let your training go when the time comes."

XVampireX
11-17-2004, 05:39 PM
It is more like, you have to train your roots (standing) and when you know how to stand, stepping will become a much better thing.

CFT
11-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by SPJ
Use a small movement or minute movement to beat a large movement.

Use a small force to defeat a large force.

This is the main strategy that differs Wai Jia from Nei Jia.
Disagree I'm afraid. I don't think Wai Jia and Nei Jia helps the argument at all.

Supposedly "external" Wing Chun advocates the use of small movements, and using small forces against large ones. I'm sure you find all these concepts applied to other "Wai Jia" styles.

In more modern terms it just boils down to: Only move when you have to
Be in the right place at the right time
Apply the right force at the right place at the right time

SPJ
11-18-2004, 08:55 PM
Yes;

The ideas are in every school of Wushu.

However, northern boxing and some northern derived southern boxing such as CLF etc. For the most part, they are consisted of large movements.

Da Pi Da Gua. Da Kai Da He.

Big Pi and big Gua. Large opening and large closing.

In Tai Ji;

We usually started with Lao Jia Yi Lu.

Which are large circular movements.

We then move on to practice mid circles, small circles and eventually no apparent circles.

SPJ
11-18-2004, 09:04 PM
In fighting, small and large moves; and stillness vs movement are interchangeable.

If you are short, yes, you may guard your centerline. However, if you want to counterattack, you may have to move big steps and swing your whole arm to attack.

Because the opponent has longer arms and legs, so you may have to do big moves to reach him or her. Such as Pi Gua Quan.

Or you may stay put or move a little and take advantage of his coming toward you. Neutralization and counterattack at the same time by dealing with his coming arms or legs. such as Tai Ji Quan.

Most of other schools would use one hand to block or confine the opponent's attacking hand, and mount your attack with other hand. Or defuse attacks and then counterattack in a sequence.