PDA

View Full Version : punch or palm strike

wingchunalex
09-02-2001, 11:04 PM
which is better, a puch or a palm stike. is one better for the body and is one better for the head? which is better in general? i know my choice, i just tought it would make for some good discution.

know yourself don't show yourself, think well of yorself don't tell of yourself. lao tzu

IronFist
09-03-2001, 03:38 AM
I'm paraphrasing this:

To strike the hard, use soft
To strike the soft, use hard

So, if you're hitting a soft target, use a fist, if you're striking something hard, use the palm.

I REALLY need to start studying

Iron

Stranger
09-03-2001, 06:15 AM
Rock beats scissors but not paper.
Scissors beats paper but not rock.
Paper beats rock but not scissors. :p

I don't get mad.
I get stabby.

Gluteus Maximus
09-03-2001, 02:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> To strike the hard, use soft
To strike the soft, use hard

So, if you're hitting a soft target, use a fist, if you're striking something hard, use the palm.

[/quote]

That theory sounds cool in principle, but doesn't always apply. The heel of the palm is hard (mine is anyway!) A flick of the fingers to the eyes is using soft against soft. If you have to think about whether you're hitting a soft or hard target and adjust your strike accordingly, your strikes will be slowed down compared to acting instinctively. In keeping with the Wing Chun principle of keeping things as simple as possible, why not just palm strike all the time? :)

Max

Yooby Yoody

jameswebsteruk
09-03-2001, 04:34 PM
The answer is.... it varies! Doesnt it always?

Depends on the situation. If your right tan has opened up the guy, and is resting on his left shoulder, its easier to whack his face with a palm strike. If it is right in front of his chest, you have the choice. Fist gives you a couple of extra inches range.

It also depends on how you are fighting. I prefer to go for the chin with a palm strike, as I can control the head more easier with the first hit, then do the damage with subsequent punches. I am more likely to only get a glancing blow with a fist, unless my targeting is perfect. Which it is not. :)

However, when chisao-ing, I will vary them, to give me practice, hitting with a very relaxed fist to the face, letting the fingers collapse on impact, so my distance and timing is correct, but I dont hurt the guy too much. Or, if we are going hard at it, proper punches or palms, whatever seems right at the time. This can result in cut lips, but hell, what is this, knitting?

I tend to hit the body with punches, but again, the practice of a nice, controlling po-pai, or simple palm strike is essential.

So I vote, non of the above!

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running
around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." ;)

bert.nes
09-04-2001, 01:54 PM
it doesent mater what the situation is palm /punch both do the job and they are the same bear in mind nuckels break easy.