PDA

View Full Version : Hua Lin Laoshi's question

BeiTangLang
11-16-2004, 07:39 AM
Got a question for everyone, what is your position on modification and growth as oposed to passing on exactly what you learned they way you learned it? Keep in mind that change isn't always good.

Hua Lin Laoshi
11-16-2004, 08:05 AM
Thanks BTL. I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

phoenixdog
11-23-2004, 05:53 PM
I think most everyone that teaches a martial art changes something.Probably not what they were taught,but they do not pass on every single thing they ever learned and they will combine what they know from their experience. A real fight will definitely change your martial art.

sayloc
11-23-2004, 07:33 PM
I think we should be glad that things are added to or changed. If not we would still just be whacking each other over the head with clubs like cave men.

the person adding or changing should be quaified to do so.

shirkers1
11-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Depends on what is being changed. I don't think major things should be changed unless agreed apon by the larger community of that style or family, and only for good reasons and the betterment of the training and style.

As for minor things like the way a tactic is applied or simple body gestures everyone will add their own flavor to the style. Some mantis families have a very direct line of attack while others are very wide and loopy with exagerated movements. Which is correct? Well I guess that depends on the individuals take on it. :)

Frogman
11-24-2004, 04:59 AM
Say Lok,
Good point about the club and it makes me wonder… as long as the club form has been around I am surprised it is not more popular. Nothing like the proven clubbing technique.

*****Bludgeoned *****

On the subject,

“The first word of explanation already misses the mark.” Japanese Proverb

Communication is the transfer of a thought, and everyone will interpret the thought differently so change is inevitable. When teaching the important thing is to communicate the concept and then it is up to the student to understand the material. This type of discovery will also create change. If your moves do not have your own interpretation then your not an artist IMO. Different people move differently based on body type and so forth. Different people interpret things differently, and so change is inevitable. It does not mean that the material has to be compromised. In North America most people speak English but depending where you are the accents are different yet you can understand what is being said.

:confused:

RibHit
fm