PDA

View Full Version : Tok Sao

VingDragon
11-16-2004, 02:10 PM
hi, guys

- just one question:

there is a lot of TokSao movement in wooden dummy sequences.

how do you use it? what is the real application of that technique?

PaulH
11-16-2004, 02:14 PM
It is Yip Man's favorite body control move often ending in the guy learning how to swim in air backward. Why do you ask this? =D

old jong
11-16-2004, 02:23 PM
...I thought it was there to replace the dummy's arms after a jut!...:eek:

Just kidding!...It is a lifting palm block.Kind of a Pak going up!...;)

YongChun
11-16-2004, 05:16 PM
I find it useful to off-balance people in chi sau by controlling the elbow. Tai Chi uses this idea all the time. The Tok sau and Jut sau work together: if you try Tok and it fails, you can switch to Jut, if Jut fails you can try to switch to Tok. You have to watch about not chasing arms with Tok.

Ray

VingDragon
11-16-2004, 06:20 PM
I'm asking because I am interesting of your opinion. So, if we have a lot of TokSaus in dummy sets, that means it should to work, right?

In mine opinion that technique is useless (I mean in real fight) - opponent's elbow is to strong, so it's hard to utilize it. don't you think? Eccept is chisao

PaulH
11-16-2004, 06:31 PM
It depends on the unfolding situation. It's quite practical when someone successfully overpowers your guarding arm from the outside gate and about to collapse your bridge completely. With a timely turn of the wrist, you change your forearm from inside to outside with respect to his power hand near your elbow, palm his elbow and tok at the outside angle. The move is in Chum Kiu form and right before the double palm strike with feet together in the YM version. Just food for thought! =D

Vajramusti
11-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Tok Sao can be very effective in a real fight. If you develop correctly and the other guys elbow is powerful- with the right timing you can redirect his elbow sufficiently to flow to other things.

Wrestlers use something llike a tok sao to spin and get behind you.

Boxers (2nd. Leonard/Duran) you can control the others elbow ina clinch.
Boxers-wrestlers have their structures--- wing chun practice involves wing chun structure.

VingDragon
11-17-2004, 09:18 AM
Wrestlers use something llike a tok sao to spin and get behind you [/B] yes, I know that kind of application, but do we have another ones? Im just curious

greetings

Ving

Vajramusti
11-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Ving Dragon- lots of other applications of tok sao---
but given contemporary standard of discourse here---no I dont have it on film!!

VingDragon
11-17-2004, 03:36 PM
haha, I dont even ask :D

YongChun
11-17-2004, 03:46 PM
I haven't seen Tok sau on any video yet so it can't be very useful or effective. If it were useful there would be a video floating around somewhere.