PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Bak Sil Lum

Takeda
11-16-2004, 03:38 PM
I'm verry interested in Bak Sil Lum. I have read the article "Bak Sil Lum vs. Shaolin Tempel" with great interest. And I have read the books from Sifu Hung Lai / Sifu Gary Tang "Secrets of Northern Shaolin Kung Fu" and "Combat Shaolin". But I have still some questions on Bak Sil Lum. I'm verry happy when you Bak Sil Lum-practitioners can answer my questions:

1. How is the systematic training-process in Bak Sil Lum to translate the forms in effective fighting technics for real dangerous situations.
Are there single patterns (single technics from a form) and combat sequences (linked patterns from a form = pre-arranged sparring) in Bak Sil Lum which are trained with a partner (I don't mean the two-person sparring form)?

2. How is Bak Sil Lum build up? Am I right with my follow acceptance: first basic school, then all ten core-forms (perfect one form then learn the next form without forget the basic school), then the weapon forms? And what's next?

3. Which Internal-Arts / Chi Kung-Arts are in the curriculum of Bak Sil Lum?

4. Are there any additional exercices (except the classes which prepare for sparring-competitions) like push-ups, sti-ups, press-ups, jogging, sandbag- or paws-training, or ....?

5. Please give me the approximate precentage of each training-element from the whole Training in Bak Sil Lum. (please separate for beginners, advanced an "master level"):

- Basic school .....%
- Patterns .....%
- Combat Sequences (Pre-arranged Sparring).....%
- Form .....%
- Chi Kung / Internal-Training .....%
- Blow-Training (Sandbag, paws, ....) .....%
- .....%
- .....%
- .....%

7. Do Sifu Hung Lai and Sifu Chan Kwok Wai instruct the classes still personally?

I'm awaiting your answers with great tension.

Lu Zhi Shen
11-16-2004, 05:15 PM
Greetings.

Your best bet would be to contact Sifu Gus at www.kungfuconnection.com. He is in direct contact with many of the old masters of Bak Sil Lum.

Almitoufo

Lu Zhi Shen

Ravenshaw
11-17-2004, 02:10 AM
It's been awhile since I've posted here, but here's my shot. I'm a student of Wing Lam, so things might be a bit different from what Lai Hung may teach.

1. How is the systematic training-process in Bak Sil Lum to translate the forms in effective fighting technics for real dangerous situations.

That's a tough question. Bak Sil Lum is a very deep style. Within the style are only really a few different techniques (some stances, some strikes, some steps, etc.). I tend to think of the forms as an in-depth study of how these smaller elements interact to create effective body movements and patterns. Although in the beginning one might take a few techniques from a form and practice them for fighting, the higher level is understanding the smaller pieces and being able to spontaneously react with them to any situation. Unfortunately, it takes years of training to reach that level of physical comprehension. I don't claim to be there yet, either. ;)

Anybody will tell you that the quickest way to learn how to fight is to learn a few basic moves and train them hard, then spar with them. That's not really Bak Sil Lum's method. Even among kung fu styles, it takes a long time to get somewhere (as a fighter).

2. How is Bak Sil Lum build up? Am I right with my follow acceptance: first basic school, then all ten core-forms (perfect one form then learn the next form without forget the basic school), then the weapon forms? And what's next?

Although it varies from school to school (no one still retains all the original sets), our school progresses this way: First the student learns the two basic forms. Then, he or she alternates between learning the Ten core hand forms and the weapon sets. Sparring sets are also taught, and Iron Palm and Small Golden Bell Qigong are both part of the curriculum. Wing Lam teaches 2 basic sets, 10 hand sets, 16 weapon sets, 6 sparring sets, Iron Palm, Small Golden Bell, and a few supplementary sets from other systems.

3. Which Internal-Arts / Chi Kung-Arts are in the curriculum of Bak Sil Lum?

The Iron Palm technique of Bak Sil Lum comes directly from Ku Yu Cheung, who was famous for it. It conditions the hand and also trains the open hand strikes to use soft, internal energy rather than tense energy. The Small Golden Bell Qigong is a set of internal exercises that conditions the body to withstand bludgeoning strikes. It is known generically as Iron Body or Iron Shirt.

4. Are there any additional exercices (except the classes which prepare for sparring-competitions) like push-ups, sti-ups, press-ups, jogging, sandbag- or paws-training, or ....?

Other than the sets and some partner drills, there are no set calisthenic exercises that a student absolutely must perform, though many martial artists augment their training with push-ups, crunches, hindu squats, jogging, and weight training. Stretching is a good thing to know.

5. Please give me the approximate precentage of each training-element from the whole Training in Bak Sil Lum. (please separate for beginners, advanced an "master level")

That's really hard to judge, since it varies between schools and even between classmates. Some people avoid basics training like the plague and only practice what is new and fun. Others practice basic skills such as stance work religiously. I can say that Bak Sil Lum's training methods are heavily reliant on forms training (see #1).

7. Do Sifu Hung Lai and Sifu Chan Kwok Wai instruct the classes still personally?

I don't have any personal experience with either of these teachers, so I can't really say.

I hope there was something in there for you.

GeneChing
11-17-2004, 10:50 AM
For reference, here's the BSL vs. Shaolin article (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=158) (part one, at least, it is a three-parter). You might also check out Phil Duffy's article (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=396) on the e-zine - his master, William Wan Kei-ho is one of the leading BSL people in Hong Kong now - he was even featured on the cover of the July 2004 City Life, Hong Kong's leading tourist magazine.

On the whole, I'd agree with Ravenshaw's comments (we both trained under Sifu Lam) but as his sihing ;) I have to correct him here:

Anybody will tell you that the quickest way to learn how to fight is to learn a few basic moves and train them hard, then spar with them. That's not really Bak Sil Lum's method. Even among kung fu styles, it takes a long time to get somewhere (as a fighter). While BSL is a complex style and it takes a long time to progress within the system, all BSL beginners should be introduced to 'a few basic moves and train them hard, then spar with them.' Within the early forms, there are some fine simple techniques, plus there are plenty of good sparring basics like three-star blocks that can work right away for a beginner. If they can't implement those basics, progressing further ain't gonna help at all. Do you plan to teach the student form after form, and then show them some basic moves that work? That's silly and it's bad BSL. It's bad kung fu in general. Forms are great if people are just doing it for health, and I have no argument with anyone training any martial art just for health, but it's a mistake to say that training a few basic moves hard for sparring is not the BSL method. Quite the opposite. It's the foundation of real BSL.

Ravenshaw
11-17-2004, 02:02 PM
Looking back at what I wrote, I see that I didn't really say what I meant. That really did come out pretty stupid, didn't it? :(

Anyway, the point was to contrast the method of only choosing a few specific applications to use with BSL's less rigid system. At least that's my understanding of it. If it's so completely wrong, I guess the verbal beating was justified.

I generally hear that introducing beginners to free sparring is a bad idea. Your posts reads like you disagree with this.

herb ox
11-17-2004, 02:34 PM
Well, Brothers GeneChing and Ravenshaw pretty much covered it. It seems like you may have a high standard or a list of qualifying features when deciding on a martial art. The best way to find out more is to visit a BSL instructor.

Wanna learn how to fight quickly? Study Brazillian JiuJitsu or Krav Maga at your local martial arts outlet. BSL is an advanced form and requires long-term and persistent practice to understand and implement its fighting techniques. Furthermore, BSL, as with most non-commercial martial arts vary in teaching technique. Expect variation in training method, and even the "flavor" of the techniques.

If you want to learn about hard work and relaxed shoulders, BSL is a fine choice :D

peace and good luck,

herb ox

GeneChing
11-17-2004, 03:19 PM
Free sparring and beginners really depends on your beginners. Some more macho schools (for lack of a better term) throw you right in. Obvously, BJJ and Krav Maga offer beginner classes and they don't spend time reciting tan tui, that's for sure. And like I said, most people pursue martial arts for health, in which case, sparring can be considered unhealthy and is out of the question. However, I firmly believe in controlled sparring, one-step sparring, applications exercises, etc. for beginners, assuming they're not part of the health crowd. In fact, I think that's absolutely critical.

I think both Ravenshaw and herb ox are getting a bit heady with BSL - that's easy to do because it's such a huge curriculam, almost too huge to be practical. I find it to be a common problem with BSL people here in the USA - I'm not sure why that is exactly. Perhaps, it's because when you get a sense of the magnitude of BSL, which I would venture to say only really happens when you have all your short forms and a smattering of the long forms, you see it's beauty. So both RS and HO are looking at it from a standpoint of the whole complete system, which is completely unnecessary from a combative standpoint. If you want to learn to fight quickly with BSL, it's way too daunting to take on the whole system. The whole system can build quite a martial arts master. But it only takes one BSL set, backed by solid basics, to build a fighter. It's all about how your approach it.

There are plenty of people who only work a few BSL sets, and that's enough. It's a hell of a lot of work to practice all BSL 10, plus weapons, plus qigong, every day. For most, it's better to focus one what they can attain realistically, given their training schedule.

If any other of my old shidi would like some beating, just for old times sake, please feel free to post here. ;)

Ravenshaw
11-17-2004, 07:47 PM
**** it...

Just when you think you've got it. ;)

Anyway, at this point I have every one of the Ten sets except #'s 2 and 3. Because of the group I became a part of a couple years ago, I learned 9 and 10 before 1, 2, 3. So Gene's observation is correct... jerk. :p

Just kidding, of course.

But I don't feel too bad... the man has decades of experience on me. Hell, I don't even think I was alive when he started with Sifu (I was born in '85), so I'm willing to take his criticism. But apparently my kung fu is bad :( . That sucks.

Edit: Wow. I can't believe that word was censored. It's a PG word for crying out loud!

GeneChing
11-18-2004, 10:44 AM
Hell, I don't even think I was alive when he started with Sifu (I was born in '85) I'll give that one too ya ;)

Our censors were set automatically - I could reset them, but they seemed so arbitrary and easy to defeat, it doesn't seem worth the trouble. Plus, it censors the name of another one of my little brothers from Shaolin, kungfu**** (on those grounds alone, I figure I should preserve them.) It lets through words like hell and jerk, what more do you need?

BPK
12-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Hello Takeda,

I haven't been here for awhile, so I just came across your question. I'm actually co-author with Lai Hung on the books you mentioned.

i think the curriculum a BSL teacher uses really depends on the teacher. I've seen some who do a lot of basic exercises and non-core forms as a primer, then get into the core forms. Lai Hung has a small set of warm up exercises, but then gets right into the core forms. He, as you may know, was a successful full-contact fighter back in the late 50's and 60's -- and i think his full-contact training required him or inspired him to pare down the number of techniques he teaches. So, there's no lien bu chuan or other types of auxillary forms in his curriculum. He also teaches Choy lay Fut -- another reason he probably dispenses with a lot of the extra forms you might find in other curriculums.

As for translating form techniques into real fighting skills -- this is a tough one. It takes lots of practice using techniques against a resisting and attacking partner. In Lai Hung's classes, there is a fair amount of relaxed free sparring, but students have the choice to take it up a notch if they desire. There is very little punch-block-kick drills in his classes. It tends to be a bit looser than that. I guess the main thing is that he usually waits until a student expresses a real interest in developing more advanced fighting skills before starting that kind of training. He approaches fighting training very much like a boxer might. Fitness is very important and tons of sparring. But even so, he uses tons of traditional kung fu techniques -- like sliding horses to topple opponents and the like.

Hope this has been a little helpful. I don't have time for more now, but if you have questions i'll try to get back to you.

Lokhopkuen
12-16-2004, 08:43 PM
From my humble perspective of 27 years in the style, Northern Shaolim is warrior training, a vast series of options beyond conscious though or reason. Each of the ten forms introduces you to an ever more challenging series of sequences which push the practitioner beyond their comfort zone. When the forms are trained as one (1-10) the practitioner is forced to go beyond all limitations into a state of relaxed strength and superior alignment.
From my personal perspective I find Lai Hong’s Northern is unique in comparison to say Wing Lam, Chen Kwok Wei or Ken Hui because his gung fu is descendant from Lung Chi Chung line and also has a strong Choi li fut influence. Just a note we had the chance to meet with and work out with Lung Kai Ming (Lung Chi Chung’s son) while visiting Kowloon in 2002 and Lai Hong’s gung fu is nothing like his which leads me to believe there was some sort of break in the transmission. Also I have two class mates Dr. Albert Chen and Eric Chen who are former students of Sifu Lai Hong and the Gung Fu they practice is night and day in comparison to what we are practicing in the Yim Shang Mo, Johnny So, Ken Hui lineage.

For more information on the style feel free to check out our site http://www.harmoniousfist.com

Peace

Lokhopkuen

herb ox
12-19-2004, 03:34 PM
GeneChing said: "I think both Ravenshaw and herb ox are getting a bit heady with BSL... [snip] it only takes one BSL set, backed by solid basics, to build a fighter. It's all about how your approach it. "

As usual, Sihing, you speak words of wisdom, but my point was PRACTICE and hard work were the keys to becoming a good fighter in BSL. That's the approach. With all styles, a student's basics can't be solid without putting in the time - even those born with natural talent need some time (granted it may be a decade less than it took for me, but hey...)
I don't think there's anything heady about persistent practice. Except maybe for the lightheadedness I feel when I overexert myself (like walking from the computer to the fridge... :p )

Peace and happy Festivus

brother ox

GeneChing
12-20-2004, 12:39 PM
Practice and hard work are keys to becoming a good fighter irregardless of style.
BSL is an advanced form and requires long-term and persistent practice to understand and implement its fighting techniques. The problem with that statement is the implication. There are no simple techniques in BSL? None that you can understand easily and implement quickly? If not, that's a big problem with the system. That's a big problem with basic logic. How do you move to these so-called 'advanced forms' without progressing through the simple ones first? And are those simple ones useless for fighting?

BSL is sophisticated, no doubt. But a major problem with the study of sophisticated systems, especially in America, is that students get to focused on the summit without fully exploring the foothills. Sophistication becomes an excuse for the lack of fighting skills as high as "intermediate level" practitioners. That's just hiding behind an absurd intellectualization. Now, keep in mind, I have no problem with people who practice MA for health over fighting. Every MA person should have some sense of the martial aspect, but I wouldn't expect everyone to be fighters. My mom practiced tai chi - she's not going to get in the Octogon or anything. I do object to the kung fu health practitioners who think they'll be able to fight after they reach those "advanced forms." If you can't fight with the simple forms, there's no way in hell you'll be able to fight with the advanced ones. The simple BSL techniques are practical for fighting, they just aren't all fancy-shmancy. The system is very effective. It's the beginning level practitioners (or more accurately, intermediate instructors) who are ineffective at transmitted the applications on the ground floor.

herb ox
12-21-2004, 09:03 AM
hmmmph! :mad:

right! :p

I'll just crawl back under by rock and practice some more.... just wait...

:D

Lokhopkuen
12-21-2004, 03:31 PM
All along my training my teacher has emphasized specialization in one technique for long periods of time and then later assigning another specialty. The fact is there are so many options one can easily become lost. It is only recently I have begun to notice the series of skills I have developed due to these "specialization phases". Now days I spend more time teaching than personally training and this has opened another
whole world for me of having to articulate verbally what my body has taken for granted for so many years.

Well anyway back to work gotta teach yet another class.

Peace

herb ox
12-22-2004, 08:45 AM
I really think the biggest period of growth for me personally occurred after moving away from my Sifu - I had studied under him for close to 8 years and was an instructor for him as well. It was wonderful to have so much resource at my fingertips, yet I never really knew it - as Peter Tosh put it "you never miss your water until your well runs dry...." (yes, I'm sure he lifted that quote from somewhere as well... :rolleyes: )

Regardless, after moving to the North Bay where I now reside, I felt the relative cultural vacuum drawing the kungfu from my body -but, nay, I say, I resisted and found the drive to practice on my own. And that's when the real growth started happening (did you ever see a movie called "How to get ahead in advertising"?) - anyways, I had to expand upon the martial knowledge that had been passed to me. Soon I found myself returning to the basics over and over again. No longer was instruction given to me... I had to teach myself, in essence. The more I practiced the basics, the deeper I got and started to understand the techniques from a different perspective. Soon, a few bredren and myself began sparring bareknuckle and from there I sought to apply what I had been practicing for a decade to fighting skill. My Sifu wasn't there to give me pointers anymore, though. I had to figure it out myself.

Bottom line really is we tend to take our lessons for granted - we often simply do as we are told without actually examining and understanding the technique. So, my point is (yes, there is a point after all...) after training for awhile I think it's a good idea to take a break from the instruction and practice on your own or with a partner. Now I'm so hungry for my Sifu's teaching, whenever I see his technique, I'm like a sponge absorbing his wisdom. It's made a world of difference for me.

peace, bredren

br. ox

GeneChing
12-22-2004, 11:43 AM
LHK: I can see the pedagogical structure you're propounding, except for stage three. Aren't stage one and two both manifestations of stage three? By meditation, do you mean zazen or are you looking at it in a larger context?
I'd agree with the flexibility before strength progression in BSL, but I wouldn't say that it is limited to this strategy at all. So far, everyone on this thread is looking at BSL from the perspective of access to all of the BSL10. However there are plenty of BSL cousins (shall we call them 'once removed"?) who only have access to the short 5 sets, or even less. They still find value in that and can apply it to combat. For example, you could just study BSL #6 and have stuff that could be applicable to fighting. You don't get the whole system, but then again, who really does get it all? That's the essence of my objection to people who say it takes a long time to get anywhere in BSL. If you want the complete system, you're going to have to keep practicing, at least until you die. If you just want to fight quickly, you can do that too. It really depends where you want to go.

HO: The "well runs dry" parable is usually attributed to Elijah who faces drought, again biblical. You can't be a good rasta and not engage the bible. ;) Teachers can only be a doorway; the student has to step through. A good teacher opens a lot of doors. A good student goes through them all.

Siu Lum Fighter
12-24-2004, 01:03 PM
The whole system can build quite a martial arts master. But it only takes one BSL set, backed by solid basics, to build a fighter. It's all about how your approach it.
This is so true. There are some people who only practice Tan Tui and that's it. In my school we practice a two person Tan Tui sparring set that has a multitude of possible fighting applications. Especially if one was to think each move through and look at all of the possible counters and defensive moves that can be done. I learned this set from Wong Jack Man as did Brent Hamby, the 1999 USAWKF National Champ. Brent has gone as far as to say that, where practical fighting is concerned, Tan Tui and Tai Chi is all you really need.

I was curious about other BSL curriculums. The way our progression goes (as far as forms are concerned) is like this:

Tan Tui (single and two person)
Lim Po (coherent step)
Sui Wan (small circles)
Bang Po (mantis)
10 forms
Weapons (your choice)
then maybe Lo-Han Boxing (which is way cool)

Lim Po, Sui Wan, and Bang Po are meant to be like preparatory forms for the ten core forms. We can choose to start learning Hsing-Yi and/or Yang style Tai Chi at any time as well. Is this a similiar format to any other schools? I understand this was close to the way certain teachers taught their BSL at the original Jing Mo Academy in Hong Kong.

NorthernShaolin
12-25-2004, 01:28 AM
SLF,

Actually the original Jing Mo School in HK did not teach BSL. BSL was originally taught by three sifus in HK who were all classmates of KYC and were not part of the Jing Mo school in HK. They were LTH, YSW and MCF. (However MCF learned and was always associated with the Jing Mo school in Kwangchou.)

LTH and YSW taught the 10 row Tan T'ui as their first set then Lien Bo Chuan as the second set while MCF taught Lien Bo as his first set and then 12 row Tan Tui as his second set. LTH and YSW never taught Lo Han while MCF did.

Sifu Wong (WJM) taught a combination of two curriculums (Kuo Shu from KYC and Kwangchou's Jing Mo from SYF). That is why Wong Sifu taught so many varity of weapon sets as compaired to his counterpart sifus in BSL. Also at one time, Wong Sifu's BSL's curriculum once extended beyond most current existing BSL's curriculums but now that he is older, he too, has cut back in his BSL curriculum.

Bang Bo Chuan is really not part of BSL's curriculum. He originally only taught it for fun but his older students kept requesting him to teach it so he decided to add it.

Siu Lum Fighter
12-25-2004, 10:44 PM
Thanks for all of the valuable info. I was just wondering who LTH and MCF are? I was thinking MCF must be Ma Gim Fung. He is the one who passed down the Lo Han sets isn't he? I also think he's the one who said the three components of combat are courage, strength, and techniques (similiar to WJM's mantra for combat components). I don't know much about him other than that he trained under Shun Yu Fung (SYF) who was the head instructor at the Canton Jing Mo Athletic Association.

NorthernShaolin
12-25-2004, 11:24 PM
You are correct and his Lo han is different than the Shaolin Lo Han that most people are always referring to. His Lo Han is BSL Lo Han which is a different branch than Shaolin Lo Han. In his days , Ma was well known as one of the toughest BSL 'street fighter'.

LTH is Lung Tzu Hsiang who is KYC's other well known disciple.

Lokhopkuen
12-26-2004, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Aren't stage one and two both manifestations of stage three? By meditation, do you mean zazen or are you looking at it in a larger context?

Stages one and two logically lead to stage three I can say from my personal experience but In terms of meditation I think he is speaking not only about the ‘single point’ meditation of being in the moment but also the whole concept of self realization.

“The training of self awareness can be developed via meditation, self reflection or as the book of war states “Know your enemy, know yourself, in a thousand battles you’ll never be defeated.....

Peace

Lokhopkuen
12-26-2004, 10:58 AM
Our school’s progression is:

Lim Po
Tan Tui (10 roads)
Tun da #6
Moi Fa #7
Bot Bo #8
Hoy Moon #1
Chun Sam #4
Wu I #5
Leng Lo #2
Jo Ma #3
Lien Wan #9
Sik Fot #10

We also practice several sets from 7 stars
Bung bo
Moi fa sau
Moi Fa low
Moi fa Kuen
Joi Kuen law hon (Drunken mantis)
There are a few others who's names excape me I don't practice those sets.

Several sets from Hung Gar
Tiger Crane
Taming the tiger
Iron Wire

As well as Tai Chi (Yang’s) Hsing Yi 5 elements connect and Twelve Animals, Whipping Dragon Bagua.
All related weapons sets

Peace

NorthernShaolin
12-26-2004, 02:04 PM
Lokhopkuen, Thanks for the info. It is always interesting how different branches present their curriculum.

SLF,

Well, times have changed since I learned from Wong Sifu. During the time when I was learning, the school's curriculum was very strict and had to comply with the Jing Mo rules. During the 1960's, HK Jing Mo was very unorganized and Shanghai's Jing Mo was non existnce. The Head Chairperson of Jing Mo USA was Peter Quack (can't think of his Chinese name) and was the senior classmate of Brendan Lai. Wong Sifu open the first Jing Mo school in the earily 1960's and with approval from the Chairperson, Wong Sifu intergrated Jing Mo's standard 10 sets with his BSL curriculum in 1964. Every student had to follow this curriculum except the student was allow to skip Tai Chi.

General Curriculum

Lien Bo
12 row Tan T'ui
Sil Wah Chuan
BSL#6
Fire Water Staff
Jing Mo Bagua Saber (or can chose BSL's Pak Chi Saber)
Hsing I (Continious Fist)
BSL#7
Ground Demon Staff
Double Saber vs Spear
BSL#8
Raise Blocking Spear
BSL#5
Lui Ho Chuan
Tai Chi Chuan
Dragon Pheonix Sword (Wu Tang)
Lo Han Sparring
Ch'a#4
BSL #4
BSL#1
Plum Blossom Double Swords
BSL#2
Loose Wrist Saber Fighting
Double Hook Axes
Long Bench
BSL#3
Plum Blossom Chain
BSL#9
BSL#10
Spring Autumn Big Knife

For those individuals who had demonstrated a higher level of skills were required to learn the other Jing Mo Standard sets such as Five Tiger Spear, Shepard Staff, Tamo Sword, Gung Lic Chuan, Big Battle Chuan, etc. with in the same period as the above sets. These individuals were designated to be Jing Mo future instructors. This satisfied Jing Mo's requirement of it's 10 Standard sets.

After the above listed 30 sets in the curriculum, if the individual wish to continued his studies, there was an advance curriculum which contained another 30 sets of BSL sparring sets, BSL weapons (advance level of saber, sword and spear and other sets like horse knife, halberd, monk's spade, Triple section staff, etc.), BSL Lo Han Hand sets and Hsing I (Animals, sparring and weapons)

After 1975, Wong Sifu's curriculum changed to include more internal sets and many of the BSL weapons, Jing Mo standard sets and BSL Lo Han sets were dropped from his curriculum. Wong Sifu was no longer producing any more Jing Mo instructors and so individuals who completed their studies from Wong Sifu after 1975 cannot use the Jing Mo school's name for their school.

Fen
12-27-2004, 08:14 AM
Our school’s progression at Fen Kwoon.
Louie Sifu, helped with setting up our curriculum and this is what we are teaching now. We worked on this for over a year to make sure it was laid out the best way possible. It’s not a lot like some others that teach BSL. But It works good for us.

General Curriculum
Set one Basics
Lien Bo
10 row Tan T'ui
Sil Wah Chuan
Lo Han one
BSL#6
9 Island staff
BSL#7
Pi Chi Saber
BSL#8
BSL Two man Staff
BSL#5
Raise Blocking Spear
BSL#4
Five Tiger Staff
BSL#3
BSL Horse Knife
BSL#2
Long Bench or Two Section Staff
BSL#1
Saber vs Spear
BSL two Man Set
Dragon Sword
BSL#9
Double Daggers
BSL#10
Tiger Hook Swords
18 Hands of BSL
Dragon Head Kwan Do

Extra Sets:
The 10 Jing Mo sets, Gin Li Gin Ho ( 1 of two southern sets I know from Ark Wong side), Lo Han 2-4, Lo Han Sparring, Dragon Staff, Three Section Staff and some Mantis sets along with a few others. As for internal sets: Tai Chi, Yang and Chen short and long. Hard and soft Qigong and some Bagua and a little XingI.

~Jason

kai men
12-27-2004, 05:46 PM
Dear fellows, I am enjoying this thread. I have been absent for so long and now I would like to add our program :
1) Yes, Chan Kowk Wai is now 68 years old and still attending classes personally monday to Sunday.
2) Our program:
1) Lim Po Kuin (Lien bu Chuan)
2) Shaolin # 6
3) Shaolin # 7
4) (Sometimes) Sap Pa Sao (from 7 stars praying mantis)
5) Shaolin # 4
6) Shaolin # 5
7) Shaolin # 8
8) Luo Hap Kuin (Liu ho chuan)
9) Long Forms of BSL in this order: 3,2,1,9,10.
10) Futsan Hung Sing Choy Li Fat first Set
11) (Whenever the student get serious: Tam Tui 10 an 12)
12) Special Form "18 hands" of BSL
13) Special Form Snake
14) Special Form Buddha Palm
15) Special Form Monkey
16) Special Form Drunken
17) Special form Crane

Moreover, there are lots of weapons forms - many mentioned in other lists - and Small Golden Bell and Iron Palm Training.
GM CHan also includes Yi Jin Jing (a version very close to Small Golden Bell) and :
- Internal Arts (Ku Tai Chi Chuan, Pa Kua, Hsing Yi, Liang Yi)
- Seven Star Praying Mantis
- Cha Chuan nr 4
- Fan Tsi Yin Chao
- Luohan Chuan (Ma Kin Fong lineage)

Kind regards
Horacio

Siu Lum Fighter
12-28-2004, 11:25 AM
Wow, my list wasn't nearly as complete or as rich as all of the ones that came after it. That's mainly because I wasn't that familiar with Wong Sifu's original curriculum and he's not as strict about it anymore. To a certain degree he'll allow you to choose what sets you want to learn next. Like NorthernShaolin said, the BSL sets are learned in the order of 6, 7, 8, 5, 4, 1, 2, 3, 9, and 10. But since he's more into internal stuff at this point, you could choose to start learning Yang style Tai Chi, or Sun style Hsing Yi at any stage in your training. This might also be because he's mainly only teaching advanced practitioners at this point. There have been a lucky few of us who aren't as advanced (like myself) but even then he still would expect you to have had some prior training.

As far as weapons go, he will still start you out with the staff (Fire Water and Ground Demon) and then usually Jing Mo Bagua Saber. As far as two person sets, I've mainly seen Double Saber vs Spear and Triple Section Staff vs Spear. But like I said, it seems like he's mainly into teaching Tai Chi and Hsing Yi these days so there aren't many of us learning all of the hard sets.

GeneChing
12-28-2004, 03:14 PM
...I did this article (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=156) as a sort of FAQ on BSL (in contrast to Songshan). Seems to have worked, since I don't have to post this over and over again, just link to the article. :D Of course, I worked on a video series too, but that wasn't in order, and I'm sure all you BSLers are "in the know" about that.