PDA

View Full Version : I bought a ten dollar beer today

jun_erh
11-16-2004, 04:52 PM
23 % alc by volume (http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Beer/Beer-Ratings.asp?BeerID=5923)

Should be interesting. I have the nov 2002 vintage which is 23 as opposed to the others which are 18% alcohol by volume. It's the same size as a regular beer. "want a beer?".

David Jamieson
11-16-2004, 05:31 PM
if it's 23% alcohol by volume, then it's been fortified. IE, all the alcohol in it isn't from the natural fermentation process which will only produced 17 or 18% alcohol at the very top of the process.

so, they be injectin that wit some, some see?

rogue
11-16-2004, 05:53 PM
After drinking that the next thing you'll be paying $10 for is 48 year old crack *****. No offense KL.:D

Chang Style Novice
11-16-2004, 08:19 PM
I would think 23% is possible with a high enough specific gravity. Takes some doing, though. I've had trippelbocks and barleywines that are around that area. Probably closer to the 17 or 18 that KL mentioned, though.

Mmmm...barleywine...

BM2
11-16-2004, 10:48 PM
I went to a middle east resturaunt and ordered Turkish coffee. Forgot what it cost but is was very expensive for such a little cup.
This guy comes out and makes it right at my table. Lot more to it than I would have thought. I have to say, it was the best cup I ever had. I like strong coffee and could have drunk a large cup of it.

Mr Punch
11-16-2004, 11:57 PM
I thought the highest natural brew was 18, after that the yeast dies...

As for the strong coffee, my friend used to make evil Turkish coffee in an evil Turkish coffee set, a little copper thing to do his revision. When we drank two or three cups, we couldn't do anything for a few hours... and consequently nearly failed our uni finals...! :D

Probably why the Turks only drink tea...!!! :eek:

Chang Style Novice
11-17-2004, 12:01 AM
Maybe they have some way of distilling it a bit without killing the head?

Been a long time since I did any brewing.

Kristoffer
11-17-2004, 07:05 AM
that's why u only drink it from small cups...

Try Iranian apple tee, chai. I'm totally hooked on it. Also in small cups coz it's really sweet.

Waxwood rod
11-17-2004, 12:02 PM
For a strong brew I like to serve up a nasty cheap boiler maker.
As for Turkish coffe, man that stuff will make yer pp shrivel.

Chang Style Novice
11-17-2004, 01:02 PM
a nasty cheap boiler maker.Happy hour @ The Hole in the Wall: $1 for a pint of Shiner Bock and $3 for a shot of Jim Beam. Plus a jukebox with plent of Clash, Cash and Neil Young. Heaven on earth!

jun_erh
11-17-2004, 01:03 PM
yeesh (http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Beer/Beer-Ratings.asp?BeerID=18543&Show=0&SortedBy=3)

that was the strangest and obviously strongest ber I ever had. It was good in it's own way. I drink alot of malt liqour and it's not really like that. It's more like cognac or something. It had an oily sort of texture. I felt like I had oil running through my veins!!! not something you'd drink all the time, but definately interesting. Extremely damaging for it's size. If you asked for a beer and someone gave you one of these, you'd think they were trying to poison you. darker than dark

jun_erh
11-17-2004, 02:51 PM
"Molasses and raisins with plum notes. With a subtle touch of crème de cocoa that nestles in the nose. With a wonderful relaxing exhale to boot. Dark head tan lines of dark golden lacey oily syrup. Cocoa essence enhanced with molasses raisins and plums. With a slight coffee finish. Nice strong and portly in flavor is this one. Alcohol is very noteable but, yet sensual and yet oh so smooth. This beer is gargantuan in stature. I mean it’s HUGE!!! Very thick viscous mouthy feel. Heavy and heavenly if you will.
"

I can't vouch for any of this. I'm not saying it's wrong, just maybe the author and I have different approaches to beer drinking

Oso
11-17-2004, 07:05 PM
Dogfish Head is by far my favorite brewery, hands down.

most of their beers take a bit of getting used to as they are sweeter than most with high ABV.

I don't know about the fortification. There are several other brewerys out there producing 20-25% ABV beers and I don't think there would be as much hoopla over them if it was achieved through fortifying.

Immort Ale is another one by them that's very tasty but it's 10-11%.

Pork Chop
11-22-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Happy hour @ The Hole in the Wall: $1 for a pint of Shiner Bock and $3 for a shot of Jim Beam. Plus a jukebox with plent of Clash, Cash and Neil Young. Heaven on earth!

1 New Years 1999 at The Hole in the Wall
+ 8 shots Bailey's Irish Cream
+ 6 Guiness
+ 2 tumblers Bushmill's Irish whiskey on ice
---------------------------------------
A d@mn near dead BMore Banga & a whooooooooole lotta puke....

David Jamieson
11-22-2004, 12:23 PM
none taken rogue...seeing as I am only 40. :D the 48 yr old is elsewhere on this very site!

dang crack hos, they be everywhere now!:eek:

Yum Cha
11-22-2004, 04:10 PM
There's a way to increase the alcohol content by making "Eisbock" ("ice bock"). Made by freezing doppelbock and removing the ice crystals to produce an even stronger drink (the alcohol freezes at a lower temperature and therefore remains in the beer in a greater concentration). There are a few commercially available, but its pretty rare stuff. Typically 8-9%. but in theory, it could go higher...