PDA

View Full Version : kimbo slice bareknuckle fight vs Sean Gannon

planetwc
11-17-2004, 01:38 AM
Here ya go boys and girls. A true slam fest.
These guys took a lot of damage.

Kimbo vs Gannon fight (http://mediax.muchosucko.com/movies/512_video_Gannon_vs_Kimbo.mov)

get it while you can, before the file gets removed.
This fight just happened a day ago.

kj
11-17-2004, 05:55 AM
One person's reactions (mine):

a) The crowd behavior was more interesting than the fight.
b) The concern for "rules" was interesting in several dimensions.
c) There must be a very complex network of factors leading to such a pathetic lifestyle.
d) I haven't yet decided if it's ironic or fitting that it was posted on a "tasteless humor" site.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Ernie
11-17-2004, 08:41 AM
And the winner is

CONDITIONING !

Man that was a mucho sucko wind contest =)

t_niehoff
11-17-2004, 11:26 AM
David, thanks for the link. Interesting and instructive fight. A pretty even fight for the most part -- both brought a lot of raw attributes, some decent boxing skill (though Gannon was the better boxer, especially in defense), mostly poor grappling skills -- so it hinged, as Ernie points out, on conditioning. As far as KJ's comments go, well . . . these are the sorts of crowds one gets at contact "sport" activities, like fights, rugby, etc. For me, that's part of the fun! Pathetic lifestyle? Hmmm. They might say it's pathetic to pretend to be a martial artist. ;)

reneritchie
11-17-2004, 12:03 PM
If you read some of the MMA sites, the rules were strange and people tried to change them up to, and during.

The video is supposed to be for sale for online-viewing to benefit the winner.

reneritchie
11-17-2004, 12:04 PM
KJ - I think Kimbo brawls professionally for $5K-$10K a match. That's more than a lot of undercard UFC fighters get.

kj
11-17-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by t_niehoff
As far as KJ's comments go, well . . . these are the sorts of crowds one gets at contact "sport" activities, like fights, rugby, etc. For me, that's part of the fun! Pathetic lifestyle? Hmmm. They might say it's pathetic to pretend to be a martial artist. ;)

Yup. It's all in different values and perspectives.

Regards,
- kj

kj
11-17-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by reneritchie
KJ - I think Kimbo brawls professionally for $5K-$10K a match. That's more than a lot of undercard UFC fighters get.

Okay. I've no cause to doubt it. Whether hobbyist or professional, it's still a fascinating choice of avocations.

Not meaning to be sexist, but the motivations and perceived benefits in such things are probably a lot more obvious to some of you guys ("you" in the general sense).

Regards,
- kj

reneritchie
11-17-2004, 01:22 PM
Sorta like modeling. You get paid for what nature and nurture has given you. Albeit, it's probably not as cut-throat as modeling :)

kj
11-17-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by reneritchie
Sorta like modeling. You get paid for what nature and nurture has given you. Albeit, it's probably not as cut-throat as modeling :)

Ha ha - probably right about that! :D

Regards,
- kj

planetwc
11-17-2004, 04:07 PM
Kimbo (the guy who lost) is known for bare knuckle underground fights in the florida area. He is an ex-con etc. Ernie posted a link months ago about one of his fights--which got Kimbo a lot of noteriety.

As a result, there has been a LOT of talk about Kimbo on the MMA forums around the world (that he should do MMA, go to pride or UFC). Due to that, his opponent flew down to fight him and vowed to knock him out.

The rules such as they were...

No grappling, no kicks, no submissions. Just bare hand beatdown.

As you will have noticed both violated the rules at certain points.

Kimbo tried for a double leg at one point and DID do some ground and pound on Sean. Sean did put Kimbo in a guillotine for about 2 minutes
And did hit him with 2 knees to the face. He also got gassed and ran out of steam in the fight.

More background...

Sean Gannon is a trained Boxer and MMA fighter. He is apparently a police officer in his day job. He is a mulitple time (rumors from 2-6 time Golden Gloves Boxing Champ) as well as trained in MMA/Submissions.

As Kimbo has NO background in MMA or grappling or submissions, it was just supposed to be a punch fest. Which for the most part it was.

If this had been a "no rules" fight I think Sean Gannon would have ended it much more quickly--as Kimbo would have been out of his element as a streetfighter and just submitted or ko'd on the ground or from kneestrikes.

Now for the Wing Chun perspective...

That was bare knuckle fighting which we in Wing Chun are supposed to be training for. Would YOU be ready to take on someone like this and deal not only with dishing out that kind of punishment, BUT being on the receiving end of things?

How is your cardio and conditioning?

Would your Bong Sao and pak sao be enough?
Could you deal with him (Kimbo) in the clinching stages?
Are you ready to take the kind of hits he would be issuing to you?

This fight was MORE Brutal than needed BECAUSE it was standup only.

I posted the link so that you could right click and save the file to your hard disks to review it and consider how you might deal with a real streetfighter.

What are you going to do AFTER you unload on the guy and he doesn't go down, simply asks if that is all you got. Will you have the stamina and conditioning to GIVE him MORE? Or will you end up being hamburger for him?

Any thoughts boys and girls? :D

Discuss

Ernie
11-17-2004, 04:27 PM
David

as i have to say is :)

now back to nusing my torn arm :rolleyes:

kj
11-17-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by planetwc
What are you going to do AFTER you unload on the guy and he doesn't go down, simply asks if that is all you got. Will you have the stamina and conditioning to GIVE him MORE? Or will you end up being hamburger for him?

Any thoughts boys and girls? :D

Discuss

Given the apparent constraints of the "what if" scenario I would a) probably become hamburger, b) do my best to survive as hamburger rather than ending as puree, and c) screw the rules.

I'm going to voluntarily stand there and be ground to a pulp while following "rules"? I don't think so. If you don't mind my saying so, that's for crazy people.

[Not that I'm not crazy myself. I'm just not crazy in that way. :p]

I also wouldn't be overly concerned about setting my bong sau at a 122.47 degree angle. If you don't mind my saying so, that's also for crazy people.

In reality, my foremost tactic would be to do my best in avoiding such situations ... "out of the box" thinking, if you will. ;)

Et toi? Discutez?

Regards,
- kj

canglong
11-18-2004, 08:39 AM
A police officer and an ex con nice. No knees! is that what they say on the streets these days.

AmanuJRY
11-18-2004, 09:11 AM
If this had been a "no rules" fight I think Sean Gannon would have ended it much more quickly--as Kimbo would have been out of his element as a streetfighter and just submitted or ko'd on the ground or from kneestrikes.

Big time.

As for your questions, I would simplify my answer to 'I would not engage in a 'match' with rules that eliminated my 'stronger' (more or less) tactics. Against someone who outweighs me and has the capacity to endure longer than me, I would need to rely on stategy and tactics to survive (even 'dirty' tactics, if nessisary).

planetwc
11-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Ok let's look at this from the perspective I intended.

Which is not that you are in an NHB match or underground brawl...

Rather you run into a guy like this on the street and he wants to take you apart. I'm not interested in the "rules" stuff.

More about how you are going to approach combat with a guy like that.

Consider what they looked like at the end of the fight and what kind of punishment they both got.

Look at the kind of power they were throwing at each other and the resulting damage--but lack of KO.

What should you do to adjust your training to deal with this as a reality?

Have you been on the receiving end of a shot similar to the ones being thrown here?

Have you trained enough to REALLY take out someone's legs?
What is your level of confidence in being able to do so?
How much time do you spend on this?

sihing
11-18-2004, 04:48 PM
Ok let's look at this from the perspective I intended.

Which is not that you are in an NHB match or underground brawl...

Rather you run into a guy like this on the street and he wants to take you apart. I'm not interested in the "rules" stuff.

More about how you are going to approach combat with a guy like that.

Consider what they looked like at the end of the fight and what kind of punishment they both got.

Look at the kind of power they were throwing at each other and the resulting damage--but lack of KO.

What should you do to adjust your training to deal with this as a reality?

Have you been on the receiving end of a shot similar to the ones being thrown here?

Have you trained enough to REALLY take out someone's legs?
What is your level of confidence in being able to do so?
How much time do you spend on this?

Firstly, in response to your post above, the whole idea is NOT to be on the receiving end of one of those blows, and if you are it is almost over for most of us of average size, but it depends on the intensity of the situation. When it’s your life at stake then you will be amazed at what you can do and what you can take (punishment wise), if it’s just a mugging and not as intense then you may be more susceptible to punishment.

I wouldn't go for either of their legs first but there eyes and throat, with all sorts of weapons, then to make it worse go for their legs latter to destroy the foundation. I like the high/low/ then back high attacks as people have a problem with that type of situation.

To adjust your training I would practice with people that are much bigger than you, so you can get used to the weight difference and power difference. Smaller is better in some situations, and sometimes being too big is a negative too.

James

saifa5k
11-18-2004, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by t_niehoff
part of the fun! Pathetic lifestyle? Hmmm. They might say it's pathetic to pretend to be a martial artist. ;)

LOL, very! Yep big difference in hanging out with the guys and getting ones teeth knocked down their throats.

Dave c