PDA

View Full Version : Defence (tan sau I think)

TzuChan
09-04-2001, 11:37 PM
Ok I'm new to WT but I think it's called tan sau (the frist block you learn, whre you put your hand verticaly and make the opponents hand deviate from it's normal direction so that it misses you)

Now when I punch someone in class and he blocks me with it my arm litterlay slides away and he has to put no effort in it.

In the beginning of the 3 hour lesson I'm not sweating so it's ok. But when I sweat and my opponent too of course, when I block it doesn't slide and so if I want to do a descent tan sau I need to push forward a bit, but then I am using force, so I don't block descently, now, anyone here has that problem ? Or is it normal and is there a solution ? Could be a stupid question, but I want to know the stupid answer anyway

When I run into a wall it actually hurts :(

OdderMensch
09-04-2001, 11:47 PM
soon, well relativly soon, that "push forward" will become the "forward intent" that is needed for deflection in WC. There is a paticular type of "jing" that this shows, I am not certain right now what its "proper" name is but "conecting energy" or "sticking energy" are possible translations :confused: . Whatever you call it once you've "got" some, sweat won't bother your "sticking" as much.

Read "Tan saus lots of tan saus" for much good info on one of wing chuns "three seeds"

Sleepflower
09-05-2001, 12:55 AM
you said vertical hand.

TzuChan
09-05-2001, 11:54 AM
YEAH, PAK SAU !

It's like as if you were praying, but only with one hand ! SO the hand stands vertical, yeah, PAK SAU it is.. Could you help me on this ?

When I run into a wall it actually hurts :(

Allan T
09-05-2001, 02:31 PM
NB: A Pak Sau like many other WT techniques is actually an attack in transition! You do not really want to "block" your opponent's attack but your intention should be to remove the thing that is stopping you from attacking him. By this I mean that the Pak Sau should be used with an intention to merely deflect the opponents punch thereby allowing you to move forward and strike down exactly the same channel.

More advice is...Remember your Forms especially SNT...In SNT, The Pak Sau is done at a 45degree angle (WT), starting from in front of your centre, that is exactly how you should perform it in practice.

Lastly, maybe if you look at a Pak Sau as a punch in transition, i.e. Pak Sau is one of the positions the hand takes on it's way to punching the opponent....you would probably use less force and more forward energy
:cool: