PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Do?

reneritchie
11-22-2004, 12:29 PM
You're minding your own business watching a live NBA game when a crazy player starts a brawl, a fan gets involved, and suddenly a 7' giant is flying like superman across the court, into the stands, and swinging at you like he's Rick James saying 'hi' to Charlie Murphy.

What would you do? ;)

http://mfile.akamai.com/12942/wmv/vod.ibsys.com/2004/1120/3935750.200k.asx

Ultimatewingchun
11-22-2004, 12:38 PM
He's 7' tall...eh?

Kick his legs...take him down....choke him until he's almost out...elbow him in the head...

AND THEN GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE!

PaulH
11-22-2004, 12:41 PM
I would reason with the philistine to show him the errors of his way! If that fails, I redirect his energy to a more productive channel - the guy who hates me sitting close by. And if that fails, I biu my way to the exit gate! =D

reneritchie
11-22-2004, 12:49 PM
It would be useful to watch the video. There is little opportunity to prepare, none to talk :)

Bob8
11-22-2004, 12:49 PM
In the what would you do topic a fast guy:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/otsu/

What would you do ;-)
The yin to the Yang guys hehe

reneritchie
11-22-2004, 12:53 PM
Bob8, please don't hijack my troll.

SAAMAG
11-22-2004, 12:59 PM
For being familiar with JKD he sure does copy bruce lee to a tee doesnt he? I thought the whole idea about JKD was to not follow blindly to doctrine or what someone says is the best way. Which means one should not mimic Bruce either. That's the problem with JKD. People are following Bruce's movements almost exactly instead of thinking about what he was trying to relay through his personal expression.

This guy obviously thinks he Bruce Lee reincarnated from the way he moves, too bad he probably doesn't have the same power output. Fast guys can get snuffed out pretty easily, especially when there is no power behind the strikes.

Bob8
11-22-2004, 01:04 PM
Hehe sorry Rene :-)

t_niehoff
11-22-2004, 01:27 PM
That's sort of like asking what I'd do if I won the lottery! I'd take his shot, go down, and start screaming, "Oh, my neck!" Then, the next day, while still in my hospital bed, I'd have my lawyer file my lawsuit, order a copy of the videotape, and begin planning my retirement. ;)

reneritchie
11-22-2004, 01:39 PM
t_niehoff is correct.

PaulH
11-22-2004, 01:44 PM
You have true grit for an attorney, Terence! =)

reneritchie
11-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Terence is a criminal, not civil attourney. Therefore, his interest in this case would more likely be the retainer for defending the very rich NBA player in face of assault charges :)

PaulH
11-22-2004, 02:28 PM
My favorite attorney is Perry Mason. I like his mind power in every courtroom showdown! =)

anerlich
11-22-2004, 02:28 PM
It's on video, so the lawsuit would be ...

(sorry)

a SLAM-DUNK

:D :D :D

t_niehoff
11-22-2004, 02:29 PM
True story -- I actually used to represent these identical twin boxers that were always getting into trouble (trying to follow the Spinks plan, I imagine). I won every case (at least 3 of them) because each time the accuser could never identify who it was that did the charged offense! ("Now look around the courtroom and tell me who it was that hit you . . ." and they'd see double!). ;)

Ultimatewingchun
11-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by PaulH
My favorite attorney is Perry Mason. I like his mind power in every courtroom showdown! =)

No...no..no...

SHERLOCK HOLMES IS THE MAN.

"Deduce, Watson...deduce!"

Deduce - as in deduct millions from the fool's bank account.

reneritchie
11-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Denny Crane...

PaulH
11-22-2004, 02:53 PM
Victor,

That was before Columbo! =D

Jim Roselando
11-22-2004, 03:45 PM
Hello,

A quote from Smokey in "Scary Movie":

Run B*tch! RUN!

hehehe

:D

planetwc
11-22-2004, 04:35 PM
Van,

The guy you are slagging off on is Tommy Carruthers. His school is in Glasgow and he does do JKD seminars around the world.

He has studied Jun Fan and JKD with direct students of Bruce Lee including Jesse Glover and Ted Wong, among others. He also has an amateur boxing background.

Frankly, I'm very impressed by his twitch reflex attributes. I only wish I had that kind of speed--and I think the rest of us wouldn't be at a disadvantage either.

From everything I've read about Tommy he is a humble dedicated student of his art--not a lot of ego there--more a lot of very hard training to get to that level.

Originally posted by Vankuen
For being familiar with JKD he sure does copy bruce lee to a tee doesnt he? I thought the whole idea about JKD was to not follow blindly to doctrine or what someone says is the best way. Which means one should not mimic Bruce either. That's the problem with JKD. People are following Bruce's movements almost exactly instead of thinking about what he was trying to relay through his personal expression.

This guy obviously thinks he Bruce Lee reincarnated from the way he moves, too bad he probably doesn't have the same power output. Fast guys can get snuffed out pretty easily, especially when there is no power behind the strikes.

SAAMAG
11-22-2004, 05:14 PM
It doesn't matter how much he trained or how famous he is or who he teaches or was taught by, the fact remains that he is basically copying a "style", almost to the tee, that was never supposed to have been copied in such a fashion. Just about ALL the jkd guys (aside from the ones directly from bruce lee...) are missing the point when they simply copy the movements and idiosynchroses of what Bruce did.

From what I understand from my studying of it, if Bruce saw what it was today he would denounce it as well. It's not supposed to be something that is simply mimicked and taken as truth, because that is exactly what he was against. Too bad no one realized that, but then again they're too busy trying to make money or a name for themselves off of Bruce Lee's life.

Personally speaking, he is fast, no one disagreed with that. It is impressive to have speed like that, no argument there. But I could care less how hard he trained or if he is a nice guy or not, because it was not directed towards his personal character. Although it can read that way I now that Im looking at it.

anerlich
11-22-2004, 06:31 PM
That's the problem with JKD. People are following Bruce's movements almost exactly instead of thinking about what he was trying to relay through his personal expression.

Just about ALL the jkd guys (aside from the ones directly from bruce lee...) are missing the point when they simply copy the movements and idiosynchroses of what Bruce did.

You need to watch some of Matt Thornton's tapes/DVD's (Functional JKD series 1 & 2).

What he (Matt T) does bears no resemblance to your overgeneralised claims. No Bruce Lee (or any other) worship there.

t_niehoff
11-22-2004, 06:47 PM
Matt Thornton is one of the few in JKD that does have his head in the right place, and that's because he's actually fighting and making things functional. But Van has a good and valid point -- if you look at any fighter, boxer, MMAist, BJJist, MT, etc. they all have their own "style", that is, their own expression of their method and they don't try to copy their instructor (and don't "look" anything like them). However, nonfighters who don't have the demands of functionality driving their expression do tend to ape their instructors -- this is true of JKD and WCK (among many others).

captain
11-23-2004, 12:22 PM
1,what make of car did Columbo drive?
2,what was the name of Columbo's dog?

Russ

PaulH
11-23-2004, 12:46 PM
Peugeot, me think?
http://www.columbo-site.freeuk.com/deathcar.htm

You got me on the dog! Don't know if he ever has one! You know what Columbo would say to this: =)

"I worry. I mean, little things bother me. I'm a worrier. I mean, little insignificant
details - I lose my appetite. I can't eat. My wife, she says to me, 'you know, you can really be pain.' "

"There are a couple of loose ends I'd like to tie up. Nothing important you understand "

captain
11-24-2004, 07:01 AM
paulh,he did have a dog.it was called 'dog'.columbo's 'wife' couldnt agree on a name.the car,a vw convertable scirocco.

Russ.