PDA

View Full Version : Training Update #2

Merryprankster
11-23-2004, 06:31 AM
OK, so things are going pretty good. I expected, but now have come to accept, that I will probably never regain full range of motion in my shoulder. More precisely, my joints have always been hypermobile and I am probably limited to a "normal" range of motion, LOL.

I'm still out of shape by my standards and carrying about 6 extra pounds that I don't particularly need. Basically, it's just an issue of getting back in to serious anaerobic training. I don't really lift for the curious. I should probably consider starting again.

I did have a scare last week - one of my training partners put me into a full blown kimura so fast I couldn't tap. Two pops in my surgically repaired shoulder and three in my elbow. I was back in practice the day after next. No permanent problems, AFAIK.

The only thing I'm really concerned about right now is taking a fall. The doc has told me not to yet, and that it will probably always hurt to get planted. I'll take the pain, but I don't want injury. Doc says I SHOULD be able to get there in the future. We shall see.

On reflection, I am probably BETTER now than I was before I left. There were mental blocks that I was able to work out while I was gone. Or maybe it was just the Oxycodone. Basically, getting removed from the day in and day out grind gave me a chance to recognize certain things and forget others. I'm a guard player, for instance, and never really had much faith in my passing, even though it was pretty good, really. Well, I came back and didn't even think about that. My passing is much better on that fact alone. I'm a better passer because I think I am. There are other things I still have to work on, but hey - when won't I?

A final parting comment. I'm always entertained by the TMA vs MMA conversation. Not because I'm above it all, mind you, (I'm certainly not) but because a few months before my surgery, I recognized that the heart of the argument is really funny. Not funny odd, but actually funny ha-ha.

The argument itself is really one about rules. MMA has rules, obviously, but so does TMA. The kwoon, the ring - they're all rule based. It's really an argument about which set of rules you like better. That's FUNNY to me. It's like arguing that CFL rules are "better" than NFL rules or comparing NBA vs International rules. It doesn't change the basic nature of the skills you have to pick up in order to succeed. The things we argue about are really just about which rule set you prefer playing under.

Funny stuff.

Christopher M
11-23-2004, 07:21 AM
Oh oh. Don't pull a Limbaugh, dude!

P.S. Everyone knows real men play soccer.

David Jamieson
11-23-2004, 07:30 AM
hilarious.

I can't stop laughing.

Water Dragon
11-23-2004, 07:34 AM
I'm glad to hear you're back on the mat MP. I'm sure it feels great! I've been out of training for about 2 1/2 months myself. it sucks.

Li Nin KiT
11-23-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Christopher M
Oh oh. Don't pull a Limbaugh, dude!

P.S. Everyone knows real men play soccer.

P.S Everyone knows ur a knob.

Merryprankster
11-23-2004, 07:45 AM
WD,

Why?

Water Dragon
11-23-2004, 07:59 AM
I have this whole personal matter I'm dealing with. I need to take care of thos responsibilities first, and those responsibilities are leaving me drained mentally. I have nothing left. I don't think I'll be able to train until I can get all this $hit finalized.

I know I've been gone too long though because Miguel has called me a couple times wondering when I'm coming back. I think he misses beating me up.

MoreMisfortune
11-23-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
I'm still out of shape by my standards and carrying about 6 extra pounds that I don't particularly need.

Oooooh pretty boy is a whole SIX pounds extra pounds... oooh poor boy!!
F.AG!!!!
get some 25 extra then we can talk about it :mad:
pus.sy

And im telling you this for your own good :mad:
sis.sy

red5angel
11-23-2004, 08:22 AM
good to hear your training is going well MP. However I'm with Xebs on this, a WHOLE 6 lbs?! Fatty

David Jamieson
11-23-2004, 08:25 AM
6lbs is heavy for a guinea pig.

But I'm sure if you take a laxative or get an enema, those 6 will dissapear in a flush!

Merryprankster
11-23-2004, 08:32 AM
Red/Xebs,

It's a very good indicator, for me, on how in shape I am. I hover at 185 when I'm training hard enough, which makes getting to 179 easy. Right now I'm walking around at about 190-191, which makes getting to 179 hard.

When you do weight class sports you become somewhat attuned to that type of thing.

WD,

I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck.

red5angel
11-23-2004, 08:34 AM
I forgot about your wrestling background too, you guys tend to weigh weight loss/gains in ounces :D

Merryprankster
11-23-2004, 08:35 AM
red,

LOL!

True.

Water Dragon
11-23-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster

WD,

I'm sorry to hear that. Good luck.

Thanks Bro. That means more to me than you may think.

I hear you on the weight. I'm packing about an extra 7 pounds myself. I feel like Xebby :(

ShaolinTiger00
11-23-2004, 09:03 AM
GHEY!

Water Dragon
11-23-2004, 09:11 AM
LIGHTNING BOLT!

norther practitioner
11-23-2004, 09:51 AM
carrying about 6 extra pounds that I don't particularly need.

If I was 6 lbs off from my goal, I'd be doin' reds girl right now..

Good to hear from you bro.

ShaolinTiger00
11-23-2004, 10:02 AM
carrying about 6 extra pounds that I don't particularly need.

Take the **** out of your mouth before you get on the scale.

BOO YAH! :eek:

red5angel
11-23-2004, 10:33 AM
If I was 6 lbs off from my goal, I'd be doin' reds girl right now..

how is that elephantiasis your mom told me about coming along anyway?

norther practitioner
11-23-2004, 10:34 AM
Not too bad....

My big toe is now fitting into it's own size 4 shoe.. it's down from an eight.

norther practitioner
11-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Did that rash on your ermm... head clear up.. or are you still waiting on that special topical cream?

MoreMisfortune
11-23-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
Thanks Bro. That means more to me than you may think.

I hear you on the weight. I'm packing about an extra 7 pounds myself. I feel like Xebby :(

not quite silly, you need to add some more 15 to that or some :D

Water Dragon
11-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by MoreMisfortune
not quite silly, you need to add some more 250 to that or some :D

Will the Wimmins love me then?

MoreMisfortune
11-23-2004, 04:39 PM
lol 250 dude nice trick

but yeah, theyll grab your legs on the street man
this other time i was trying to catch my bus and one hottie grabbed my right leg in rage and desire for my body
before i could get rid of her another one dominated my left leg
i was helpless
and the bus
was gone