PDA

View Full Version : 7* forms

sayloc
11-23-2004, 09:19 AM
Could someone give me a list of the traditional forms taught by the 7* system. Not the long fist, tant tui sets, or other forms from other styles taught by seven star just 7 * forms like bung bu, chop choy, or mantis leaves the cave.

Thanks

shirkers1
11-23-2004, 09:44 AM
http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33527

Check the link scroll down there are a couple of options including my own list. Hope that helps.

FEELERSTRIKE
11-23-2004, 11:29 AM
Cha Chui also has a long fist origin from memory ;)
Is it the oldest forms you are looking for ?

sayloc
11-23-2004, 11:48 AM
Lets put it this way, if you had to sum up the 7* system with 6 sets which six would it be? Other than the 6 essential sets.

It seems that some 7* lineages teach the 6 essential and some dont.

Are the white ape sets considered only seven star or where they developed by a seven star master?

Thanks

FEELERSTRIKE
11-27-2004, 02:17 PM
It would be interesting to find out more about the origin of the White ape sets in 7 star mantis . It would seem that they are taken from the Tong bei system of the same name which is a main foundation of the northern mantis style as a whole . It is a shame that the people on this forum with more of an idea on the origins of these matters always seem to avoid these type of questions . Good Luck I hope you have more luck than I ever have had in finding answers .:)

yu shan
11-27-2004, 09:00 PM
Send a PM to Mantis108, he is always willing to contribute to the cause. Or try your question at Mantis Quarterly Forum.

bungda07
11-28-2004, 02:29 PM
Hello Sayloc,

Here we go:

-Bung Bo
-Sup baht sao
-Doa Gong
-Tong Long Chut Dong
-Tong Long Tao Toe
-Huc Fu Gao Chou
-? Muy Fa Sao

V/r

Steve M.

mantis108
11-28-2004, 04:31 PM
Well, I am afraid I am not the best person to comment on the 7 Stars side of things. I believe Brendan Tunks is a much better source about this subject.

In general terms and not specific to any style or lineage of Tanglang, I could share some thoughts with you. I stress that this is solely my opinion.

Personally, I don't subscribe to the 18 family story which I suspect is a Qing dynasty creation. That's when the Tongbi influence starting to show in Tanglang as well. Rather, I believe in a prototypcial Tanglang (perhaps a variation of Ba Shan Fan/Fanziquan). This prototypical Tanglang could have gone through certain cult influences such as the White Lotus cult; hence, we have the nameless outlaw story. This would help explain why certain features could be found in NPM and Yong Chun White Crane which has White Lotus influence. For example, the metal hand of the White Crane's 5 Phases hand is to use the back of the hand and/or the wrist to strike the target. This is remarkably similar to the wrist elbow (Bizhou) of NPM. BTW, Wing Chun has that kind of hands too. White Crane and Tanglang both are well versed in short hand/close quartered combat. In some Wing Chun lineages that acknowledge possible White Crane influence, there is a move called "White Crane Seeks Fox" which essentially is Tanglang Gaoji Bu. Coincidences? Perhaps. But if you ask me, well there's got to be more to it than that. More stunning similarity can be found between Tanglang and Lung Ying (Dragon Style). How could these 2 styles (one in the north-eastern corner and one in deep south of China) have so great a similarity? Case in point, Xiao Dengshan Shi in Tanglang and the triangle stance in Lung Ying is almost identical. Even the theories share common traits that could trace back to Yong Chun He Fa (crane method of Yong Chun)

Anyway, I am not trying to rock the boat. If you are not comfortable with what I said, it is perfectly fine to disagree. This is an avenue that I am pursuing. It could very well be a wild goose chase but fun nontheless. :D

Sorry, I went off topic.

Warm regards

Mantis108