PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Claw Form: 8 Step Continuous Punching

Oso
11-23-2004, 02:12 PM
Ba Bu Lin Wa. Spelling could surely be wrong.

Just looking for information on this form.

TIA

Shaolinlueb
11-23-2004, 09:02 PM
what do you want to know? i have some knowledge on it. .

ngokfei
11-24-2004, 12:19 AM
bat bo lin wan kuen = 8 step connecting fist

a recent addition to the eagle claw curriculum I've only seen it in 2 schools and both are from the Chan Tzi Ching Lineage.
is a set found in many northern styles, especially ones that have a link with the Ging Wu group.

3 kicks: jumping slap toe, heal stretch kick and an inside crescent.
5 claws: inward catch with a throat seize, double inside catch, catch and press, Circle Claw and punch, Ying yang Catch
plus some chops, hooks and palms.

nice quick set

you can find it in Sifu Wing Kit Lam's book.

Oso
11-24-2004, 07:39 AM
shaolinlueb, thanks. seemls like ngokfei answered most of my questions on it. just wanted more history on it.

it's in the Pong Lai Mantis curriculum of Master Shr. very early, essentially the 2nd set.

is a set found in many northern styles, especially ones that have a link with the Ging Wu group.

so, it's not originally an eagle claw set?

or are you meaning that because the eagle claw system was taught in Ging Wu that it ended up in other systems?

The description you give is in concordance with how it is being taught in Pong Lai. Shifu Kevin Brazier (Tainan Mantis) has produced a tape with this form, ling and 2 person drills and techniques.

I agree, it's a great quick set. Very fun to perform.

Just had to learn it because it was skipped in my learning but now that Pong Lai USA is starting to standardize our curriculum I needed to get it.

Can you give me the title of the book?

Thanks !!

ngokfei
11-24-2004, 09:36 AM
There are very few "original" eagle claw sets. Most are modified northern sets.

go to this link:

www.kungfumaster.com.hk

Sifu Wing Kit Lam has written books on:
Chin Woo
Eagle Claw
Mantis
Wing Chun

Maybe he got this set from his mantis teacher?

Oso
11-24-2004, 10:11 AM
hey, just noticed 'covington, ga' what part of the state is that in?

I'll be somewhere on the nw side of atlanta for tday.

ngokfei
11-24-2004, 10:17 AM
its about 45 minutes from downtown atl. In Newton county.

man is it rainy and windy today. Just lost the top of a tree.

give me a buzz

770-385-8127

also my training brother has a school on Monroe next to piedmont park.

Oso
11-24-2004, 10:21 AM
just double checked and I'm going to be in Woodstock.

I know thursday is booked up of course and don't know what Friday's schedule will bring (new girlfriend and the first 'meet the parents') but I'll bring the number and if Friday opens up for me I'll give you a shout.

I have a particular interest in the 17 styles that mantis was drawn from...long fist and eagle claw being the first two listed in the poem and I like that Pong Lai shows that witht he first couple of sets and line drills being long fist and eagle claw.

Shaolinlueb
11-24-2004, 10:58 AM
i think my 8 step is different. we jsut call it 8 directions. seems there are more claws in it too.

Oso
11-24-2004, 11:03 AM
ours is two roads.

the turnover from first to second is from a horse w/ left punch and a high right hand covering then a turn back w/ a double inward catch and step out to a double palm from a hill climbing.

Shaolinlueb
11-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Oso
ours is two roads.

the turnover from first to second is from a horse w/ left punch and a high right hand covering then a turn back w/ a double inward catch and step out to a double palm from a hill climbing.

yeah sounds different.

ngokfei
11-24-2004, 05:17 PM
shaolinlueb

I think your set is called

Bat Min Kuen (8 facing/direction fist)

I believe there is a small/upper and a big/lower

haven't learned those sets. My sifu doesn't teach them anymore. He said they originated in the Chin Wu.

I did see part of the set on one of Sifu Lilly Lau's early tapes.
Looks interesting.

What's your take on the set?

check your PM.

Shaolinlueb
11-29-2004, 11:00 AM
Ngokfie

it is called Bat Min Kuen. (8 directions)
My Sifu learned it from Sigong Lueng Fu. He in hand learned it from James Lau. There are a lot of Eagle Claw sets in/from Chin Woo it seems. its a nice form, I like it a lot. its simple very direct application and such. as for the small upper, big lower, I dont exactly understand what you mean by that.

Originally posted by ngokfei
shaolinlueb

I think your set is called

Bat Min Kuen (8 facing/direction fist)

I believe there is a small/upper and a big/lower

haven't learned those sets. My sifu doesn't teach them anymore. He said they originated in the Chin Wu.

I did see part of the set on one of Sifu Lilly Lau's early tapes.
Looks interesting.

What's your take on the set?

check your PM.