PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin-fu

tug
11-23-2004, 04:13 PM
http://g.msn.com/0MNBUS00/2?http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6565810&&CM=EmailThis&CE=1

Cool story.

Read.

Discuss?

IronFist
11-23-2004, 04:18 PM
First story = broken link.

Second story = cool!

tug
11-23-2004, 04:30 PM
Yeah, sorry about that. I don't know why I was given two links instead of one, but oh well. At least one of them works.

Cool, yeah?

FuXnDajenariht
11-23-2004, 04:40 PM
thats ****in tight....

i seriously wonder what possessed them to protect a different species. maybe they have a connection with people or more to do with their aversion to sharks... i dont think the mistook those people for food....

anyhow those are sum smart dolphins... ****ing 'A'

:D

Chang Style Novice
11-23-2004, 04:44 PM
Dolphins rescuing humans is a story that's literally thousands of years old. There are ancient greek accounts of similar stuff happening with drowning fishermen.

Still cool as hell, though.

tug
11-23-2004, 04:49 PM
One of the most intelligent species on the planet, from what I understand.

CSN, you have laid down the correct, the friendship that exists between man and dolphin has so since anyone can remember.

Gotta be careful though, I have heard stories of dolphins getting/trying to get jiggy with people. Weird. Heard the same of the emu. Even more weird.

Chang Style Novice
11-23-2004, 04:56 PM
"I have heard stories of dolphins getting/trying to get jiggy with people. Weird. Heard the same of the emu. Even more weird."

This stuff shouldn't surprise anyone who's had to shake a hump-happy pooch off their leg.

Okay, the emu thing surprises me. But I've never had my foot raped by a duck.

Then again, there's the whole issue of people sexually attracted to animals. (http://www.tigerden.com/~infopage/furry/)

IronFist
11-23-2004, 05:59 PM
Whatever you did to the link, you broke it again.

FuXnDajenariht
11-23-2004, 06:05 PM
lmao...wow

this got turned into a thread about animal boinking... lol amaaazing...only on kfm.... :D

Shaolinlueb
11-23-2004, 09:08 PM
arent dolphins the only other species then humans who have sex for fun and just not for reproduction? and monkeys m*sturbating all the time doesnt count.

Chang Style Novice
11-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Bonobo chimps are pretty ****ty. I think lots of primates like to get biz-zay.

IronFist
11-23-2004, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
arent dolphins the only other species then humans who have sex for fun and just not for reproduction?

That's what I heard.

FuXnDajenariht
11-23-2004, 10:13 PM
chimps bang each other all day long...

Kristoffer
11-24-2004, 09:28 AM
actually, alot of animals does it. to show rank, create a good mood in the group etc. Insects probebly don't though. Neither does arachnids and simmiliar critters

Dim Wit Mak
11-24-2004, 10:48 AM
I was able to access the second link. Thanks for sharing this great story.:)

Ford Prefect
11-24-2004, 11:20 AM
Pods of dolphins are known to surround schools of fish and corrall them into a tight ball, blast them with sonar to disorient them, and then eat them. They've also been known to protect their young AND their prey from other predators like sharks.

There certainly seems to be some kinship or mutual curiousity between dolphin and human, but perhaps it could be explained that these dolphins are regularly fed by people. (ie random people that are curious and trying to attract them for tourist excursion purposes) This caused them to exhibit their natural "feeding" behavior and then protect their food source from the shark.

Kristoffer
11-24-2004, 12:00 PM
US Military use dolphins to locate mines. That's pretty impressive

GunnedDownAtrocity
11-24-2004, 01:14 PM
if you would like to thank dolphins for their kindness to humans perhaps this guid would assist you:

http://www.sexwork.com/family/dolphins1.html

red5angel
11-24-2004, 01:19 PM
my personal theory is that we just don't give the dolphin enough credit. We know they are intelligent but I think we have a hard time understanding how intelligent they are. I'd be willing to go as far as to say I think it's a conscious effort on their part to protect another being they recognize as "non-threatening" from one they recognize as a threat.

Chang Style Novice
11-24-2004, 01:22 PM
From GDA's link:

"Dolphin males have a prehensile *****. They can wrap it around objects, and carry them as such."

So THAT explains it...I'm a dolphin!

Radhnoti
11-24-2004, 05:43 PM
I read an article in Discover once about how male dolphins will form intense bonds of friendship with one another.

And since this thread seems headed this way anyway... and just to stick it to anyone who's going all, "Ah, those noble beasts!" Males have been known to grab a few other male friends, nose a female into a shallow cove and take turns r@ping her for days. Picked that up in Discover as well... :eek:

joedoe
11-24-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Radhnoti
I read an article in Discover once about how male dolphins will form intense bonds of friendship with one another.

And since this thread seems headed this way anyway... and just to stick it to anyone who's going all, "Ah, those noble beasts!" Males have been known to grab a few other male friends, nose a female into a shallow cove and take turns r@ping her for days. Picked that up in Discover as well... :eek:

They are so like humans aren't they?

IronFist
11-25-2004, 12:39 AM
How do we know this story is true, anyway?

IronFist
11-25-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
if you would like to thank dolphins for their kindness to humans perhaps this guid would assist you:

http://www.sexwork.com/family/dolphins1.html

Ok, wtf??????????????

FuXnDajenariht
11-25-2004, 01:10 AM
dude!! this is what u read all day?!!?

holy ****....

"They use it as a way of strengthening the bonds between pod mates (mothers and calves included), and also for fun"

"Q3) What do I do if a dolphin wants to mate with me?

A3) Accept, if possible! I will go through the steps involved with males and females..."

......gimme a sec to pick my jaw up off the floor...
:eek:

FuXnDajenariht
11-25-2004, 01:15 AM
and i might add...

OMG!

FatherDog
11-25-2004, 02:26 AM
A) Dolphins have been demonstrated to be as smart as people in a symbol-recongizing, abstract thought sense.

B) As with people, this results in some really cool behavior (protecting humans and each other) and some really ****ty behavior (rape, murder).

C) While there are some instances of dolphins being cool with people in general, this particular one was probably more motivated by the desire to **** over the shark. Dolphins /hate/ sharks. Bottlenose dolphins are known to attack sharks in packs and ram their gills till they're destroyed.

Also, dolphins are known to go for human chicks, as are emus. With emus, it's because a human woman smells remarkably similar to a female emu in heat. With dolphins, it appears to be just because they're ***** perverts.

Kristoffer
11-25-2004, 04:46 AM
Yeah, the high intelligence makes dolphin behaviour differ from induvidual to induvidual dolphin. One can be playful, another agressive. Usually, they act to protect their group and 'takes care' of them. But agressive speciments have been known to killing their own new borns and their mother.

They also have an advanced comunication system. Scientists have been trying to develop a system to comunicate with dolphins for years now, with some progress. Using symbols and noises. Packs of dolphins also comunicate with motion, wich looks like some kind of dance.

tug
12-17-2004, 01:47 PM
A friend of mine told me about this, but it was too impossible to believe, so I did a search and this (http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?Aktion=ShowFulltext&ProduktNr=223831&Ausgabe=228297&ArtikelNr=57573) is what I found. It's filled with ten dollar words, but what they're basically saying is that dolphins and some birds actually shut down half of their brain when sleeping, and the other half takes care of all bodily functions until its time to wake up! Amazing!

MasterKiller
12-17-2004, 01:55 PM
Male dolphins form pair bonds and known to chase females into shallow water and rape them while the other keeps her from swimming away.

tug
12-17-2004, 02:01 PM
Yeah, there's that too unfortunately.

Radhnoti
12-17-2004, 07:02 PM
MasterKiller - "Male dolphins form pair bonds and known to chase females into shallow water and rape them while the other keeps her from swimming away."

Me, just earlier - " Males have been known to grab a few other male friends, nose a female into a shallow cove and take turns r@ping her for days."

Someone else here reads Discover magazine I see. :D