PDA

View Full Version : finger strength

Lokkan-Do
11-24-2004, 06:58 AM
Hello guys,

What tips can you give me on developing gripping strength and developing power in my spear hand thrust?

Spear hand trust = a vertical finger jab...usually to the solar plexus. It does not have a high chance of sucess, but I think by conditioning my fingers it will become more effective

Lok

Bob8
11-24-2004, 07:15 AM
I would recommend to train other, more important, skills than
developing a vertical finger jab to the solar plexus...

SAAMAG
11-24-2004, 08:32 AM
Didn't BL train that on a spring supported pad? Either way, the finger jabs were meant to go to soft targets such as the eyes or just under the larnyx. Then again I usually just punch people in the throat rather then finger jab them, works better.

El Tejon
11-24-2004, 08:34 PM
Lok, lots of stuff you can do. Here's some of the exercises we do for the grip:

Windlass, fingertip pushups, phonebook toss, pick up coins, empty air grabs, reverse curls, Farmer's Walk.

Let me know if any need further explanation. Best wishes with your training.:)

Jeff Bussey
11-25-2004, 04:35 AM
Hi El Tejon
I'm interested in hearing about these ones:

Windlass and Farmer's Walk.

J

Ali Hamad Rahim
11-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Here is a way that strengthens the finger. It’s called “dotting”. You can develop this in iron palm training; I’m not about too get into Iron Palm right now (go to my profile and to the upper right side of that page you will see; search for all post by this user, click there and look for one of my earlier threads on “Iron Palm”) just simply by dropping your fingers on bags with sand, dry peas and daisy dd’s in them, use sand first, By dropping the tips of your fingers and thumbs on the bags you start too understand the heavy hand concept. You adjust the timing on the delivery of the strikes from slow, medium too fast. This way the fingers tips have time too develop while dealing with the shock from hitting the bags, from proper breathing and relaxation chi (natural energy) flows to the hands, which gives good blood flow to the hands and which helps develop stronger bone marrow, hence making the fingers strong, it will feel like being slapped in the chest with a two by four with ink pens running through it. I use that technique when a student gets zealous (points in the chest non-lethal of course ), it makes them hyperventilate which brings them back to reality. Without using a lot of moves.

Ali Hamad Rahim.

detroitwingchun.com (http://detroitwingchun.com)

El Tejon
11-25-2004, 06:44 PM
Jeff, sure, no problem:

Windlass: take a 3 foot dowel rod, drill a hole in the center, run 3 foot of parachute cord (or marline, inter alia) through it and attach one end to a weight (start with a 5 pound plate), attach other end to rod. Wind the line up and then lower, change your hand positions and/or stand in a horse to multitask.

I'm sure you've seen these suckers. They are popular in the gyms around here.

Farmer's Walk: grab weights, hold out from you, walk about. I use plastic jars (that animal crackers came in--5 nephews) and fill with sand and walk up stairs built into side of a hill at an elementary school near me (have only been visited by the police once--should have seen look on her face [the officer] when I explained what I was doing!:D).

Broken One
11-28-2004, 12:25 PM
One method that i use and have found very useful is to get a bag fill it with steel shot and just throw it up it the air and thrust out with your opposite arm like your punching someone and grab onto the bag and squeeze as hard as you can for a few seconds then repeat the process using the other hand, this way you develop strong fingers and you can work on your punching at the same time too.

Ali Hamad Rahim
11-28-2004, 06:02 PM
Broken One-

From all the posts that I seen you put on this forum, you got the right ideal. for those are my same experiences, keep up the good work.

Ali Hamad Rahim.

detroitwingchun.com (http://detroitwingchun.com)

Broken One
11-28-2004, 06:05 PM
Thankyou ali, i enjoy reading your posts very much keep them coming :D