PDA

View Full Version : Did we tick off a wing lam student a while back?

SevenStar
11-24-2004, 01:05 PM
I picked up one of my old wing lam mags last night (it's from 2000), and there was an article by marc jensen. He said that he frequented the net and ran across a forum that divided MA into "nice little sections" he mentioned northern, southern, jkd, wing chun and street/reality.... Naturally, I thought he was talking about us. He went on to say that he noticed on the reality forum, alot of people were saying forms were worthless and that technique drills were the way to go, so he wrote a two page article refuting. It was well written (I disagree with some of it though, like his assertion that working technique drills only will get you in the habit of responding one certain way to a given technique), had that natural bias you would expect, es he was expressing his point of view.

Does anyone else have this mag? Gene, do you know Marc?

GeneChing
11-24-2004, 01:36 PM
I haven't talked to him in ages, tho. He was a good soldier for Lam Sifu, and would defend him to the bitter end. We seldomed trained together since he was a Hung Gar instructor and I was Sifu Lam's Head Shaolin instructor, so he was really more of a casual acquaintence at Lam Kwoon for me. FWIW, since Marc was one of the only students of Wing Lam that ever published anything in a magazine other than the WLE catalog, and I always respected that. However, he always seemed a bit stand-offish to me, as were the others who tried to write in my wake. I easily wrote ten times more than all the other Wing Lam students combined, then went on to working here, so it was daunting act to follow, I imagine. Maybe I'm projecting ;) Anyway, like I said, I can't even remember the last time I saw him. I'm not even sure he still trains there, but ravenshaw should know.

IronFist
11-24-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
I easily wrote ten times more than all the other Wing Lam students combined, then went on to working here, so it was daunting act to follow, I imagine.

w00t :D