PDA

View Full Version : Nerve pain

bung bo
11-24-2004, 02:10 PM
The ulnar nerves in each of my elbows ache constantly. Well, not ALL of the time, but most of the time. I think my right is related to my broken wrist. (See the thread "bone regeneration") I couldn't lift weights, so I did dynamic tension and I think that hurt them, too. Jow doesn't help, but tiger balm helps a little. I also have an Ace band that helps. Any other suggestions? Zheng Gu Shui? Thanks in advance.

FooFighter
11-24-2004, 08:30 PM
bung bo

I am not a medical professional but common sense tells me the most intelligent thing to do is to seek a medical opinion from a medical professional. This way you will know for certain the nature of your condition and the possible treatment and the preventive measures that needs to be taken. You should not seek any advice from anyone here unless he or she is a medical professional.

If it is not too serious than I would recommend that you listen very well to your body and exercise caution rather than to ignore it. This is not a CURE but it may be an excellent preventive medicine for your joints and for your future performance as a martial artist, to go study and apply Coach Scott Sonnon's "Warrior Wellness" program which is now on Sale in DVD format at 25 dollar (www.clubbell.tv) which is reasonable and worth the small investment. I have personal recovered my own minor joint pain and limitations from practicing of Warrior Wellness religiously since July. I highly recommmend this program to all those serious about their health and fitness. (I make no money from you buying it.)

As for supplements or liniments, Jow is not intended for bone conditions but for minor muscular traumas occuring from strikes or falls. Tiger balm does not address the condition as well and work as well as any other western types of balms. Zheng Gu Shui is quite famous and well known in the chinese community for healing minor "bone bruises" but I highly doubt it can address serious bone conditions. I would simply save your money on these kinds of things and place your money on seeking a professional.

bung bo
11-25-2004, 08:39 PM
Thanks, Bao. I am going to talk to my orthopedic surgeon about this neuralgia for sure when I go see him on the 8th and again on the 15th.

I forgot to mention in my first post that I'm taking this-- RELEVE (http://www.maxperformance.com/products/releve.shtml?GGreleve) . I also went to a health food store and looked in their herb index and it said St. John's Wort is good for painful nerves. I've never heard that, but I'm no herbologist. I got some (the liquid extract) and I think it is helping. My right feels better, but I banged my left and it is swollen and hurts like a mofo. I can actually touch the swollen nerve. I'm falling apart. Does anybody else have any input?

spiralstair
11-26-2004, 01:04 PM
This stuff:
http://www.outletnutrition.com/609863047049.html
works wonders on nerve related pain.
Best I've found of all pain relieving products.
Good Luck

Becca
11-27-2004, 06:05 AM
Hot water and epsome salts soak for about 5 minutes then work it gentally. This will help your body move the exess fluid out so it isn't putting pressure on the injured nerve. Won't directly help the nerve heal, but it will help with discomfort. Discomfort can cause you to use your arm in a way that will actually injure the nerve worse, so relieveing the pressure is a big over-all help.

St. John's Wort is excelent for anything nerve related. It is most commonly known for helping people with clinical depresion ballence the brain chemical levels, but I have also heard of it be recomended for cronic back pain and arthritis.

bung bo
11-27-2004, 07:55 AM
I might try that stuff, spiralstair. It seems like something good to have around.

Becca--Epsom salt and I have become very good friends over the past couple of years.

Thursday night I took one of my dad's Celebrex and it helped a lot. He usually has these kind of medications (celebrex, bextra, vioxx when it was on the market), but I limit myself on the use of them. But, d@mn, it really helped. I ordered some of this stuff (http://www.acu-market.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1001070&variation=&aitem=10&mitem=62) . It's a homeopathic remedy for healing fractures, among other things. I got it mostly for my wrist to help healing after the surgery, but it says it deals with neuralgia, too. This site has some good stuff. I get my moxa and gan mao ling there.

One more question--When a product says it deals with "joint pain", is it saying that it helps heal damaged connective tissues (tendons, ligaments, musles) and/or bursa, cartilage; or is it saying it works on damaged nerves themselves?

Becca
11-27-2004, 08:08 AM
It usually is deally with the soft tissues and catrlidge. While you can't regrow catlidge, you can replenish the fluids that get sqeezed out of the joint. These fluids lubricate the joint and keep cartlidge in good repair and well nurished. Swelling is when you get too much fluid in an injurred joint. Your body does this for the same reason you get a blister if your heal gets rubbed raw. Unfortunatly, you're body isn't very good at getting rid of the exess in a timely manner, and the pressure from havin 2cc of fluid in a spot that usually only holds 1cc can inflame the nerves to no end.

The general rule of thumb with nerve pain is if you fix what caused the irritation, the nerve will heal itself as best it can. But untill they get alot further along woth stem-cell research, there just isn't anything you can do for scarred nerve tissue.