PDA

View Full Version : Muah Tai -> Insane, brutal stuff !

TzuChan
09-07-2001, 03:36 PM
Yesterday night I saw a documentaire about Muah Tai, and it showed us the best schools etc.. and the fights etc... Now I have to say I was shocked, that is not a sport, it's simply two mad men in a ring banging eachother on the head untill one falls down ! They even showed fights of little 8 year olds beatig the living crap out of eachother ! Now in the passed I asked you guys if WT could beat Muah Tai, I think they would most probably beat you up, but not because they have better techniques (cause I personally think they don't have good technique at all) but because they are used to get beaten up !

Seeing how they trained, and got wh00ped every fight, was seeing to insane people, no brains at all, just trying to hit the other one first without blocking very much. And then they said they were the best fighters in the world, I thought that was kinda funny seeing the retired fighters absolutely gone mad, or disfunctional and stuff :D

When I run into a wall it actually hurts :(

[This message was edited by Sihing73 on 10-02-01 at 03:04 AM.]

Martial Joe
09-07-2001, 09:55 PM
I dont think a conditioned head stops the brain from smacking against the side of the skull durring chain punches or a real powerful strike...

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

El_CLap
09-07-2001, 10:37 PM
You have to train just as hard if you want to be just as effective. And muay thai fighters have some technique.

wuhsin
09-07-2001, 10:45 PM
like the temples, eyes, throat...

and if they have no concept of a centerline and arent trained much in sensitivity i cant see how we could have much vulnerability against them.

just my opinion :)

TzuChan
09-07-2001, 10:56 PM
Well it's if course but a documentaire, but they said that 2 years ago a kung fu team came to bangkok, and got wh00ped, and wh00ped = 15 sec knock out. But I really don't think muah Tai is a martial art, it's a total martial screw up to me :D

When I run into a wall it actually hurts :(

Scott
09-07-2001, 11:30 PM
Muay Thai is a brutal system that pumps out great fighters fast, but bottoms out pretty quickly. In Muay Thai, you do not become better with age--only worse, because of the battering that your body takes.

If you really think a Muay Thai fighter poses no threat to you, I suggest you look again. They're huge buff guys who know 7 techniques and won't stop getting up and running at you until they are unable to. The Muay Thai fighters that the documentary was covering were fighters who spar about 80% of the time and do bagwork the other 20%. No sets or anything.

-Scott

"Life is hard, but so am I." -- The Eels.

Sharky
09-08-2001, 02:38 AM
"how much conditioning does it take to stop yourself having vulnerable points?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
like the temples, eyes, throat...
and if they have no concept of a centerline and arent trained much in sensitivity i cant see how we could have much vulnerability against them.

just my opinion"

I hope one day, you get to spar with a mt man. That was a *very* ignorant post you just made.

"Spectacular immaculate raps massacre cats like dracula bats, I'm snappin yer back cos I'm attackin the wack, duckin yer rapid attack, **** packin a gat, the mechanic of rap'll give you panic attacks with his Satanical raps." - Guess who.

ATENG
09-08-2001, 02:41 AM
"If you really think a Muay Thai fighter poses no threat to you, I suggest you look again. They're huge buff guys who know 7 techniques and won't stop getting up and running at you until they are unable to. "

Actually, most of the thai fighters are neither huge nor buff...just scary. :eek:

---------------------
Its all fun and games til someone loses an
eye. Then its just fun.

CerberusXXL
09-08-2001, 03:39 AM
Muay thai are indeed very conditions and trainned fighters. Muay thai fighters would indeed fair well in a fight were there are rules.

On the other hand, wing chun has no rules this is why having a wing chun fight a muay thai in a ring is absurd. The moment rules exist in a fight wing chun fighters have lost their advantage.

Wing chun is not an art made for competition or sport it is a killing art.
In wing chun, even the most basics moves would be illegal. Breaking legs, arms, striking the eyes.

In the end, in a ring with rules a wing chun fighter has a good probability of losing, but in a real fight where there are no rules this is where wing chun comes alive.

wingchunwsl
09-08-2001, 07:21 AM
i agree with scott and ateng. those guys are pretty scary...

Vankuen
09-08-2001, 07:43 AM
Muay thai, is more than just what it seemingly appears to be to westerners eyes.

THey are very very formidable fighters, although the statement concerning their holdup potentional with age I believe is true. Thai fighters, when in their prime, can pretty much dominate, of course this statement varies upon one individual to another.

I studied muay thai for a good few years, and believe it has its strong points as well as its weak. Just like wing chun does, just like karate does, and judo, and choy lay fut, and so forth.

To say that it has no technique, or no history, or no meaning, or no idea of centering, or anything like that, comes from lack of understanding and ignorance. Its like someone who does muay thai saying "wing chun guys have no idea how to generate power in their kicks", In relation to the way a thai person performs a kick, maybe so; but only in their mind. Im sure a wing chun person feels the exact opposite.

So you see...perception is a wonderful thing, and also a bad thing. It's all in the way you percieve things. Keep that in mind before you speak about something you don't really know about.

"From one thing know ten thousand" - Miyomato Musashi, Book of five rings

"Loy lau hoi sung, lut sau jik chung"

wingchunalex
09-10-2001, 04:12 AM
Mui tai is a crazy art, but in tailand it is the only way some poeple can make a living, so they have to go through that hell. Yes wing chun can use its "deadly techniques", but it does work in competition, you just have to know how to use it right. i sparred a mui tai fighter, there techniques are easy to deal with if you stay on center and use simotanious attack and defece moves (ie- tan da). now keeping up with their condtioning in the ring, thats a different story, if you were in the same shape they are or better a wing chun guy would do fairly well. they would just have to watch out for the elbows.

know yourself don't show yourself, think well of yorself don't tell of yourself. lao tzu

[This message was edited by Sihing73 on 10-02-01 at 03:08 AM.]

Vankuen
09-10-2001, 05:39 AM
Um..how should I put this lightly? Chill out man. Sometimes, the word "gay" can be used in english slang to denote something that's "****y" or "girlie". If that offends you, then tell all the other thousands of people to stop using other slang words, such as "nigga" "g" or anything like that. These are accepted terms by the majority of society. I dont use them myself, nor do I like to hear them. However, there's not much one can do about it, when 80 percent of young urban america, and other english speaking people use them. It's the way the language is evolving. Unfortunately.

I dont think he (the original poster) is saying that ****sexuals can't fight. I think he's expressing his belief that HE feels that muay thai is not up to par. Thats all.

Insults only bother those who suspect it to be true. If someone calls you an idiot...and you get upset...are you? Just some food for thought.

Sharky
09-10-2001, 06:09 AM
"If someone calls you an idiot...and you get upset...are you?"

No.

On a lighter note, if you jizz in the forest, and no one was there to see you do it, did you really jizz?

"Spectacular immaculate raps massacre cats like dracula bats, I'm snappin yer back cos I'm attackin the wack, duckin yer rapid attack, **** packin a gat, the mechanic of rap'll give you panic attacks with his Satanical raps." - Guess who.

Scott
09-10-2001, 07:23 AM
Just thought I'd say something unrelated to try and show how intelligent I am.

(joke)

The Centerline theory is a way to end the fight, but it isn't the ONLY way to end the fight. Just because one fighter doesn't use centerline doesn't mean he can't kick your ass.

He uses fire, we use ice. They both hurt, but they are totally different in substance.

-Scott

"I'm just an actor, just like Robert f***ing Redford when I say those stupid words that they expect me to say."--Art Alexakis

bert.nes
09-10-2001, 08:41 AM
well all I have to say is,
you need more experince with wc power after all they are skin and bone like you and me, they would break as easy as anyone else.
I will give them credit for what they do- its mad! and a good show olso to an average man they are scary! to combat that all you need is...you know.

bert.nes
09-10-2001, 08:53 AM
after reading the replies I thought sharky and scott had excellent points good on you guys.

nathangatling
09-11-2001, 05:07 PM
'...think well of yourself...' Hold your head high. Don't come down on their heads. You should be above that.

And second '...don't tell of yourself', you sound just like a little b*t**!!

MixedMartialArtist
09-11-2001, 05:22 PM
While it is true that MT tends to have a limited amount of techniques in comparison to some other styles, MT practitioners are taught to get the most power out of every technique they use. Is this not similar to the famed 1-inch punch of WC? I'm not knocking this technique at all, as I have a bit of experience in WC as well. All I'm trying to say is, don't dislike another style just because it is different. If it's been around this long, there's bound to be a reason. The same goes with people...those who are different from me aren't bad or wrong, simply different. "Variety is the spice of life," my friends.

Vankuen
09-13-2001, 04:49 AM
You and Geyser both reinforced my point. One, no its not the place on here to discuss gay people getting beat up. Perhaps they should learn wing chun?

And then Geyser basically said the same thing...be above it. Try not to let it get to you man. I don't like hearing the word chinc, or gook, but I have condoned it when people dont use it with malicious intentions. Thats just me. I dont think on the same level I guess. I dont let things get to me.

"From one thing know ten thousand" - Miyomato Musashi, Book of five rings

straight blast
10-01-2001, 08:15 AM
Muay Thai teaches you to get hard, fast. On my 1st night there I was expected to spar fairly decent contact and all we did was practise technique for about 30 minutes, and then spar spar spar. They force you to get good or you get hurt.
However, one of my Krus had to quit 'cos after 6 years his left shin is shattered. In 2 years I broke my thumb, my elbow and was KO'd in class twice. My other Kru has a really bad ankle/shin injury and may have to give it away.
The difference is: Muay Thai is a ring sport. A bloody awesome one no doubt, but I never got joint locked, trapped, eye gouged, leg locked or suplexed once. I got my ass whipped by a Wing Chun practitioner once when I was at my peak, and I found it a very humbling experience.
I now study Wing Chun, 'cos I know I'll still be able to do it when I'm 70. If you want to get hard like the Thai practitioners, train real, and spar all the time. They're not superhuman, and their knees break just like anyone else's. :cool:

"Through strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail"

Slayer
10-02-2001, 07:13 AM
Muy Tai likes to kick to the head often, us Wing Chun know the answer to that one right? Kick in the knee that is on the ground while the other is in the air. You think Muy Tai is burtal, apparently you have never experienced the aggressivesness of Wing Chun. Don't take my word tough, experience it for yourself, I am sure other Wing Chug Guys on this forum will tell you.

Spectre
10-02-2001, 02:36 PM
Why don't you spend more time training and less time trying to sound philosophical? :)

Just a thought!

Continued blessings in your life and your training.

The key to understanding is to open your mind and your heart and then the eyes will follow.

Juan Alvarez
10-02-2001, 06:50 PM
I don't know if they mostly aim at the head, but I know they have lightning seep. To get to their supporting leg you would have to close the gap. By the time you do that, it would be too late. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that they focuse on kicking THROUGH the target in their techniques. Now, with a well conditioned shin and a good momentum (sp?), I think you would have a hard time getting close enough!

Just my opinion... :)