PDA

View Full Version : What should I do first?

Dash Iros
11-26-2004, 02:14 PM
Warming up or Stretching up ?

_William_
11-26-2004, 03:58 PM
Warm up before stretching.

It would be even better to stretch postworkout, IMO.

Serpent
11-26-2004, 04:15 PM
Warm up, light stretches and joint rotations before. Full stretching for flexibility and recovery after.

IronFist
11-27-2004, 01:50 PM
What's the difference? You mean like jogging or something before you stretch?

Careful you don't get too anal about it:

Pre-pre-warm up stretches warm up
Pre-warm up stretches
Pre-stretching warm up
Pre-exercise stretches
Exercise

:D

Samurai Jack
11-27-2004, 02:57 PM
Niether. Stretch after your workout. Stretching is for developing flexibilty, which you can't really do unless you're already loossened up. Start working out carefully, slowly, methodically, slowly increasing intensity, unless you're weight training. In that case just grip and rip... the weight, not your muscles.:D

I think "warmups" are a waste of time.

IronFist
11-27-2004, 04:52 PM
Stretch a bit before your workout, too, especially if:

1. You're a noob to working out
2. You're stiff
3. You're not an oldtime strongman

Just a little, tho. 15 minutes stretching per bodypart before a workout is way too much and will lessen the effectiveness of your workout.

Samurai Jack
11-27-2004, 05:44 PM
Okay I've got to admit that I'm naturally flexible which probably colours my perception of the necessity of a pre-workout stretch/warmup. To be honest, I actually do both before every Aikido class. I just don't think it's necessary for weight training, though a little post-workout stretching is quite benificial if you feel the need.

Serpent
11-27-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Samurai Jack
I think "warmups" are a waste of time. This is really dangerous advice. A warm up and light stretches to prime the muscles will take 5 minutes and is very beneficial. Stretching for flexibility is what should wait until after a session.