PDA

View Full Version : Rainier Mountaineering Prep

Ford Prefect
11-27-2004, 08:16 AM
Here's the thread. This first workout was with the wife trying to get her into the swing of things, so it's a little low on intensity and volume. She basically has to go from doing nothing to prepping for this since she's one of those lucky people who doesn't work out at all or watch what she eats, but still manages to stay under 115 lbs.

Workout 1: Friday 11/26

Warm-up
Dynamic ROM exercises
Static & Dynamic Stretching
Jump Rope x2 3:00 rounds (1:00 rest)

Muscular Preparation
Circuit x4 (no rest between circuits):
-Jumping Jacks x25 (4-count)
-Push-ups x10
-Sit & Tucks x15
-Burpees x10

GPP - Perpetual Motion
Circuit x4 (no rest):
-Jumping Jacks x 30 sec
-Shuffle Splits x 30 sec
-Burpees x 30 sec
-Mountain Climbers x 30 sec

Main work set
Circuit x10 (1:00 rest):
-Push-ups x10
-Kettlebell Snatch x5 (ea arm)
-Bootstrappers x15

Finisher
Superset x3 (1:00 rest):
Pull-ups 3xMax (she did 3-5 negatives)
Kettlebell Clean & Jerk 3xMax

----------------------

That's it for the day. I tried focussing on calves, posterior chain, quads, and shoulders since that's what gets hit the most in mountaineering. Obviously a big focus on endurance and conditioning since she needs to build a good base of being able to manipulate her bodyweight. Even so, I was huffing and puffing at certain points, so she must have been dieing. She's pretty sore today. haha! ;)

TonyM.
11-27-2004, 09:13 AM
Wait until you hit that thin air up there. You'll think you haven't done any conditioning at all.

IronFist
11-27-2004, 01:40 PM
P.ussy. Just buy a jetpack. Screw climbing.

Vash
11-27-2004, 03:58 PM
ironfist is just mad 'cuz he got winded reading 'bout all that aerobic conditioning :eek: :D

IronFist
11-27-2004, 04:53 PM
^ Psychic.

Ford Prefect
11-29-2004, 08:25 AM
haha!

Workout 2: Monday 11/29

Warm-up

ROM & Stretch
Jump Rope x2 3:00 rnds (1:00 rest)
Indo Board Rock x2:00
Duraball Stand x2:00

Light GPP (w/20 lbs X-Vest)

Circuit x3 (ea exercise 30 sec w/no rest):
-Jumping Jacks
-Shuffle Splits
-Burpees
-Mountain Climbers

Lifting Complex x1 (ea exercise x5 w/no rest & 65 lbs on bar):
-Barbell Snatch-grip Cuban Press
-Snatch-grip Military Press
-Overhead Squat
-Snatch High Pull
-Clean High Pull
-Back Squat Press
-Goodmornning
-Bent over Row

Development (1:00 rest)
-Close-grip Snatch 1x6; 2x5; 2x3
-Box Squat 2x5; 2x3; 1x1
-Goodmorning 3x5
-Glute-ham Raise 2x8
-Bench Press 3xMax (185 lbs)

Conditioning (w/20 lbs X-Vest)
Circuit x (as much as possible in 25:00/litte rest between circuits):
-2-hand Kettlebell Swing x20
-KB Clean and Jerk x5
-Push-up x20
-Bootstrapper x15
-Pull-up x7
-Hindu Squat x20
-Crunch x25
-Burpee x10
-KB Snatch x10
-CB Swipe x15
-KB Front Squat x5
-CB Mill x10
---------
(heh. I lost count)

Supplemental
Heavy Ab Circuit x3:
-Ab Wheel x8
-Russian Twist x8
-Side Bend x8
-Weighted Swiss Ball Crunch x8
-Dragon Flag Negatives x8

Grip Circuit x1:
-CoC TxMax; 1xMax
-CoC isometric hold close 1xMax
-CB Leverage Press 15x8
-Wrist Roller x3:00

---------------------------------------

That's it. Total time was around 2 hours. 6am-8am I may do some jogging tonight too.

norther practitioner
11-29-2004, 12:22 PM
You put indo board into your workout....lol..

I love those things

Ford Prefect
11-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Hey, it's part of my warm-up. ;) I actually do some squats on it and plan on doing some KB stuff.

norther practitioner
11-29-2004, 01:56 PM
Nice, I try to do body varials, put both feet on the same side and stand over the nose, and do shove-its.. but most of the time I bust my head open, so I sold it.

Ford Prefect
11-29-2004, 02:23 PM
I can olly decent and walk the board nose-to-nose, but that's about it. Anything else and I better be wearing a helmet considering I do it on concrete.

norther practitioner
11-29-2004, 03:29 PM
concrete is fast.. if you ever want to try anything else, try it on carpet first.

Toby
11-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Huh, I've always wondered what those are called. Always wanted one. Maybe I'll get my wife one for Xmas ;). Do you have the vanilla one, or one of the fancier models Ford? Review? Can you "carve" with it or is the ROM just front-back with the boards long axis?

IronFist
11-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Is that the skateboard thing on the cylindar that rolls and tilts back and forth? Like this:

_______
O

I can't really draw it tilted either way.

Toby
11-29-2004, 09:03 PM
Yuppers. While googling it I came across this (http://www.renegadetraining.com/code_03_12_03/coach_davies_3.html). Kind of reminds me of the swiss ball squat ;).

IronFist
11-29-2004, 10:43 PM
What he's doing ranks up there with that pic of that guy doing barbell squats on a swiss ball.

I wouldn't do it.

Toby
11-29-2004, 10:54 PM
Yeah, 'cept that's renowned coach John Davies' site.

rubthebuddha
11-29-2004, 10:58 PM
pictures like those remind me of cartoons when one character (usually tom from tom and jerry) is balancing about 50 dishes in one hand, and jerry does one little thing to upset the balance, and all the dishes wind up breaking. in the case of those pics, the dishes are vertabrae and such. i'm impressed with a lot of the stuff these guys put out, but this is just plain dumb.

Toby
11-29-2004, 11:03 PM
To further stoke the fire, I also came across pics of Mike Mahler holding two KBs above his head (end of military press/C&J/snatch/whatever) while standing on the balance board.

Sorry to hijack your thread Ford.

rubthebuddha
11-29-2004, 11:36 PM
davies or mahler, i don't care. the applicable benefits of such exercises seem pretty much non-existant. if someone does them for ****s and giggles, fine, but i can't see any practical gain from such exercises that justify the risk of trying to balance such weight while your balance is being squimmied.

sorry as well, ford. to get back on topic, if your time in washington yields you a few extra days, i strongly suggest you take some fo these trips:

1. ocean shores (http://www.themcdaniels.net/gallery/DodgerOceanShores/aaa), and go run in the sand on the beach. trust me -- cold ocean water on a warmed-up self feels really good. if you have any friends with dogs handy, take the puppy and a frisbee.
2. pike place market (http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/) in seattle
3. bellingham (http://www.bellingham.org/), where i lived before i moved to houston, is one of the best smaller cities (65k) on the west coast.

i can give you a million more places to hit, as well as restaurants and sites to see at each one.

Ford Prefect
11-30-2004, 07:30 AM
NP,

I started on carpet first. ;)

Iron,

Yup that's the one.

Toby,

It's just front and back. You can't carve... Fortunately for me, winter is almost here, so I will be doing all the carving I need to do on the mountains. I already have 4 trips planned!

Rub,

It depends. It's all about stimulation over simulation. You need to be in tune with your entire body and the conttractions are so much more intense since you are balancing and lifting at the same time. I do board and swiss ball stuff, but I don't do it with any serious weight. It's more of an exercise in balance.

Thanks for the tips. Bellingham is smaller than the "town" I grew up in (85k). Good old east coast stubbornness towards tradition keeps it from becoming a city. I'm not sure if we'll have any extra time yet.

Ford Prefect
11-30-2004, 07:38 AM
Workout 3: Tuesday 11/30 - Recovery

Warm-up

ROM & Stretch

Circuit x2 (ea exercise 30 sec w/no rest):
-Jumping Jacks
-Shuffle Splits
-Burpees
-Mountain Climbers

One Limb Progressions Supersets:
-One-hand Push-ups 2x5
-One-arm Pull-ups (hand on arm - hand facing away) 2x2
-Pistol 2x10

Gymnastics Circuit:
-L Sit 1x:30 1x:15
-Tuck Planche 1x:60 1x:30
-Tuck Front Lever 1x:60 1x:30
-Straddle to Hand stand 2x5
-Hand Stand 2x:30

Agility Ladder (10 yards long) 3x3

Jog x 30:00

Conditioning
Circuit x2 (recovery):
-2-hand KB swing x15
-CB Swipes x10

Supplemental
Light Ab Circuit x2:
-Crunch w/legs perp to ground x10
-Crunch w/legs in L shape x10
-Crunch x10
-Crunch to right side x10
-Crunch to left side x10
-Crunch x10
-Crunch w/legs in L shape x10
-Crunch w/legs perp to ground x10

Toby
11-30-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
Fortunately for me, winter is almost here, so I will be doing all the carving I need to do on the mountains. I already have 4 trips planned!:mad: Bastidge! :p My little bro is living in Nelson B.C. for the winter. My parents are going over to visit for a month in late Jan. It's coming up my 8th year without snow :(.

Ford Prefect
12-01-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Toby
:mad: Bastidge! :p My little bro is living in Nelson B.C. for the winter. My parents are going over to visit for a month in late Jan. It's coming up my 8th year without snow :(.

That's painful. Ever think of getting a freeboard www.freeboard.com ? They look like fun. I was planning to go after Thanksgiving, but unseasonable warm weather has postponed the closing of all the mountains within 2 hours drive. I'm not happy. Most likely won't be getting out until late december. Oh well.

IronFist
12-01-2004, 11:07 AM
I'm pretty sure all this standing on swiss balls balance work is BS. The only thing it makes you better at is standing on a swiss ball. Of course, all the "functional strength" trainers need new stuff to add to their anti-bodybuilding schtick so they come up with doing squats on a swiss ball.

And even if they were somewhat useful, the potential injury to benefit ratio is way too high for me to consider using them.

Toby
12-01-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
That's painful. Ever think of getting a freeboard www.freeboard.com ? They look like fun.You're forgetting I ski first and foremost ;). Although I used to surf and skate when I was a kid. Plus I was forced to board for a few years ;). Nah, I live in the big smoke. Too busy for a snowboard-substitute around here. Unless I went at night. Nothing compares to snow anyway. Besides, if I'm gunna exercise I'll do weights, bag work or MA drills. If I'm going somewhere, I'll ride my bike or drive. If I'm gunna relax I'll go flyfishing or kayaking. I don't have the time anymore to just mess around skating like I once did.

Toby
12-01-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
I'm pretty sure all this standing on swiss balls balance work is BS.One of the guys in my peer group does Human Movement/Mech Eng postgrad studies. He presented results of a study where pro footballers did swiss ball squats, weights program (no details) or nothing. The swiss ball guys significantly improved against his study parameters, the nothing guys were steady and the weights guys went down. IIRC it was something to do with cruciate ligaments and injury prevention/stability. Of course, the study wasn't concerned with strength or any other parameters that I was interested in. After 3 months of 3 times of 30min each a week, the guys were doing squats on the swiss ball. I've posted this before. Whether optimising cruciate ligament performance has any benefit for their actual playing performance is debatable, except for the purposes of injury prevention (and hence career damage).

Ford Prefect
12-02-2004, 06:24 AM
Too bad about the time issues. There never is enough time I suppose. I'm getting myself a freebord next summer. I'd love to snowboard all year round.

About the indo and swiss stuff, it's more about unifying movement and total body awareness than simulating a sports movement to make it stronger. The level of awareness and coordination that stems from consistent practice will itself carry over to nearly all physical activities. Good to hear about the CL thing too. I've found it to really loosen up my knees and hips.

Ford Prefect
12-02-2004, 09:51 AM
Workout 4: Friday 12/2

Warm-up

ROM & Stretch

Circuit x3 (ea exercise 30 sec w/no rest):
-Jumping Jacks
-Shuffle Splits
-Burpees
-Mountain Climbers

Full Back Squat: x8; x6; x4; x2; xFail (with original weight)

Bench Press: x8; x6; x4; x2; xFail (with original weight)

Zercher Goodmorning 3x6

Clean High Pull 3x3 (1 warm-up set)

Conditioning
1-10-1 Pyramid:
-Pull-up x1's (1, 2, 3, ... 10... 1)
-KB C&J's x1's (same)
-Push-up x2's (2,4,6,8, ... 20 .... 2)
-KB Front Squat x1's (same as pull-ups)
-Abs x3's (3,6,9,12,.... 30 .... 3)
-Snatch x1's (same as pull's)

(ouch. harder than I thought. Got a puke bucket around?)

Farmers Walk x3:00

Supplemental
Heavy Ab Circuit x3:
-Ab Wheel x8
-Russian Twists x8
-Side Bends x8
-Swiss Ball Crunch x8
-Dragon Flag Neggatives x8

Grip Circuit x1:
-#1 CoC 2xMax
-#1 CoC 1xMax isometric close
-Clubbell Leverage Press 1x5 (15 lbs)
-Wrist Roller x3:00

norther practitioner
12-02-2004, 09:57 AM
I already have 4 trips planned!

lol, I've usually been up 4 times by now (darn non skiing girlfriend). I'm so spoiled when it comes to the mountains though. 45 minutes to A-Basin 55 to Keystone 1 hour and 5 minutes to Breck or Copper 1hr 25 to Vail and 1hr 40 to Beaver Creek (where I'm going Sat. to watch World Cup Racing).

Go Bode Miller

Ford Prefect
12-02-2004, 11:18 AM
Nice. I saw the storm you guys got last weekend and cursed you for it. It's in the 50's and raining here. Every mountain within 100 miles is un-rideable. I'm so pumped for this season too. I can't wait to get out.