PDA

View Full Version : Hoplology and Stone" s Macedonian fantasy

Vajramusti
11-28-2004, 06:38 PM
Macadamian nuts all over the place?

Any one seen Oliver Stone's version of Alexander the Great? Comments? It has deservedly received lots of bad reviews but sometimes for the wrong reasons.

Despite the reviews- I thought that the actors on the whole did a fairly decent job. Poor history but decent enough acting.

Stone has his standard conspiracy theories- regarding the death of Alexander- he could have focused on the conspiracy theory that
Alexander may have had a hand in Phillips death. While there were some spectacular scenes in the two major battles- the strategy and tactics were not well explained- as they could have been. Didnt show several other battles- including the one in India where Alexander was badly injured. Instead the scene of Alexanders injury was Stone's creative fiction.
The battle where Alexander was injured was one of the main reasons for Alexander's retreat from India. And the well known author Green( a majoy Alexander bio) is unsure of the real cause of Alexander's death but among other possibilities mentions the lingering problems from the Indian arrow wound as a contribitory factor.

Soon after that Kautilya and Chandragupta defeated Seleucus and the Greek battalions left behind and formed the Maurya empire which covered most of India and included Afghanistan.
I thought Stone spent too much time on Alexander;s sexual preferences and also makes the great butcher sound like a fighter for "freedom".

My real question is--- does anyone know how metallurgically durable the "kopis" the curved shortsword od Alexander's time was?
The swords in Achilles's time were of brass and broke easily-
something that the movie Troy does not focus on. Movies often are poor history.

Stranger
11-28-2004, 07:05 PM
The Dorians used iron weapons to conquer the Achaeans of Greece sometime around 1100 BCE.

rogue
11-28-2004, 07:38 PM
Joy, is this your third handle here?:confused: :eek: ;)

SPJ
11-28-2004, 08:30 PM
History, legends, myths and theories.

And plus a producer's or director's twist in the movies.

At least, some viewpoints are presented.

Cool.

:cool:

Vajramusti
11-28-2004, 10:04 PM
Stranger

The Dorians used iron weapons to conquer the Achaeans of Greece sometime around 1100 BCE.

((Brittle iron? Seems too early for steel in that region))

rogue

Joy, is this your third handle here

((Got dropprd by the system twice. Registered from scratch. Have only one account))

:D :D

Stranger
11-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Sorry, no idea of the quality.

Shaolinlueb
11-29-2004, 07:24 AM
whens the last time hollywood made a historicaly correct action film? i wouldnt expect it for a long time. hollywood still thinks america is a bunch of dumb@sses.

SPJ
11-29-2004, 08:36 AM
Movies are about drama and theme.

The producers are always concentrating on a "personal" protrayal of things.

Since movie viewers are individuals.

So viewers may relate the story upon one to one basis.

So instead of a story of many characters, only one character is focused.

Twists and turns are for the dramatization for emotional rather than rational factors.

For one, rationality may seem boring, preaching or too much for a wide audience.

For two, emotions such as love, hate, jealousy, pride, grief, pain, sorrow, violence, adventuristicism, etc seem to have greater appeals to a wide audience.

Viewers are on a roller coaster ride of emotions.

Whether it is a story of a great king, a superhero, a samurai warrior or any common character, you get all the same gamits of emotions.

After all, it is just a movie to entertain.

Many and so many may retell or rewrite the same story over and over.

In the end, the characters may be related to the viewers themself and thus entertainment.

GinSueDog
11-29-2004, 01:27 PM
Since it was Stone, I figured the movie wouldn't be all that great. Anyway have any good links on Alexander the Great? I'm playing Rome Total War and getting my butt kicked.

Ed

Mr Punch
11-29-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Shaolinlueb
hollywood still thinks america is a bunch of dumb@sses. Oh, and I always thought Hollywood were out of touch with the rest of the world! :D