PDA

View Full Version : This shirt cracks me up so bad

IronFist
11-28-2004, 11:25 PM
Click (http://store1.yimg.com/I/villagestreetwear_1819_1347068','','http://store1.yimg.com/I/villagestreetwear_1819_1366357','309','382')

edit - what the ****? I know my code is perfect because I used the button. Why isn't it working?

Try clicking this instead:

http://store1.yimg.com/I/villagestreetwear_1819_1347068','','http://store1.yimg.com/I/villagestreetwear_1819_1366357','309','382'

scotty1
11-29-2004, 09:57 AM
Don't get it.

The joke I mean, not the shirt.

unixfudotnet
11-29-2004, 10:06 AM
heh, and he doesn't have much in the way of guns either.

Shaolinlueb
11-29-2004, 11:09 AM
scotty guns are often refered to the muscle on your arms. sometimes people call thier muscular arms their guns.
hence the joke.

IronFist
11-29-2004, 11:30 AM
Does anyone know why biceps are sometimes called "guns?" I hate that.

"Hey man, lemme see your guns."

"Whoa, that guy has huge guns!"

wtf??? I refuse to use that term.

Vash
11-29-2004, 11:34 AM
The arrows seem to be pointing at his off-center nipples.

IronFist
11-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Yeah, at first I thought it was supposed to be pointing to his boobs, but then I read the text and got the joke.

stubbs
11-29-2004, 11:41 AM
i'm not sure i get it either but i didn't want to be the first to post it...maybe us Brits haven't quite got the same sense of humour
________
Vapir Oxygen (http://www.vaporshop.com/oxygen-vaporizer.html)

Ford Prefect
11-29-2004, 11:57 AM
Yeah. I thought it was a shirt for a girl too.

Vash
11-29-2004, 12:48 PM
It'd be funny if it was a long sleeve shirt and the Gun Show was written on the sleeves.

As it is, it belongs on a tig bittied girl.

Toby
11-29-2004, 07:11 PM
American humour. Took me a while before I remembered that Seppos call biceps "guns". So you're not alone my pommy brethren. (Any more racial slurs I could insert here?)

IronFist
11-29-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Toby
American humour. Took me a while before I remembered that Seppos call biceps "guns". So you're not alone my pommy brethren. (Any more racial slurs I could insert here?)

Google doesn't translate "Seppos" or "pommy" into American, so could you do that for me? :D

Toby
11-29-2004, 08:54 PM
Pom: I've never been sure. Some say Prisoner Of Mother England originally. Means English person, in any case.

Seppo: Australian rhyming slang. American -> Yank -> septic tank -> seppo. Common in the surfing community. A bit obscure, but probably more widespread than 10-15yrs ago.

IronFist
11-29-2004, 10:41 PM
Wow, Australians have rhyming slang, too? I knew British people did. Er, at least those that speak the C.ockney dialect.

Toby
11-29-2004, 10:53 PM
Well, 200yrs ago we came from England. Probably a large proportion were Cockneys. So maybe that's where the influence comes from. Serp might know more, being Scotch and all.

Mr Punch
11-30-2004, 05:15 AM
Septic has always been popular in the UK, and my granddad said it was from WWII. I think seppo is Irish or Aussie.

Dictionary.com says for pommy: Shortening and alteration of pomegranate, Pummy Grant, alterations of Jimmy Grant, probably rhyming alteration of immigrant,

and I've also heard that it comes from the French slang for us because we eat a lot of potatoes (pommes dsomething terre) which would fit in with 'lapins' and 'rosbif'. Bloody frogs!

Mr Punch
11-30-2004, 05:17 AM
BTW, whether it's threppennies or biceps that shirt just isn't funny.

Maybe UK humour is a bit different!:D

unixfudotnet
11-30-2004, 09:47 AM
UK humour would need the shirt backwards with TP stuck to his shoe with people laughing at him behind his back?

Some UK humour I do not get at all, heh. Though I do like the Monty Python movies :D

Note: I was joking in the first sentence :)

IronFist
11-30-2004, 03:14 PM
Toby has an Australian accent.

Hey, what do people from central USA's accents sound like to you guys? I don't mean that slow southern USA drawl stuff, I mean the standard American English dialect that is spoken on USA national news.

Toby
11-30-2004, 07:23 PM
Accents interest me. Out of all the U.S. ones, I least like the "news" one. I find others much more interesting to listen to. E.g. Bostonian, southern drawl, valley girl, trailer park trash. I also kind of dislike the overdone hispanic ones - I don't like "Holmes" inserted all the time :p. I actually prefer Canadian to American though, eh. Others I like: Scottish (best English accent ever), country Australian, Caribbean (although I know little about them). Ones I don't: Seth Efrican and thuck Kiwi uccents.

IronFist
12-01-2004, 12:39 AM
I'm also interested in accents and linguistics in general. I wrote my freshman paper on the evolution of the unnamed Proto-Indo-European language into Sanskrit into Greek/Latin and into modern day languages. Right next to my exercise books are books on linguistic evolution and the framework of many of the world's languages.

My primary concern is that the English is grammatically correct. I cannot stand common errors (common here in the states, I don't know about down there) such as double negatives ("we didn't have no fun") or use of the word "ain't" ("we ain't gonna go"). Now, I'm talking about in native English speakers here. For example, if your native language was Spanish where it's considered correct to use double negatives, then I can understand why you might use them in English, too. I'll let certain errors slide, such as ending a sentence with a preposition. Oh, I also cannot stand improper verb conjugation such as "we is gonna go" or "So I says to her," and very close to the top of my hate list is the phrase "I seen," such as "Yeah, I seen one of those cars before."

I find a few accents annoying and I find a few other accents pretty cool. However, another thing I cannot stand is the glorification of "ghetto" English when you have middle to upper-class, educated kids dumbing down their English because MTV told them it was cool. "Yo dawg, we finna be up out dis b.itch." Do you guys have this phenomenon in Australia?

Note: "Finna" is a contraction of "fixing to," which is a southern expression meaning "preparing to do something." Going to : gonna :: Fixing to : finna.

Toby
12-01-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
I'll let certain errors slide, such as ending a sentence with a preposition.It's a known thing in Oz, but. I did it yesterday IIRC. Finishing a sentence with "but", I mean. I don't do it much, but I was making a point yesterday.

Do you guys have this phenomenon in Australia?Not so much. There isn't such a melting-pot of cultures here yet. You might get some kids trying to be American ghetto seeing you have such pervasive (by way of media) culture, but that won't get much respect from peers.

IronFist
12-01-2004, 09:33 AM
It's a known thing in Oz, but. I did it yesterday IIRC. Finishing a sentence with "but", I mean. I don't do it much, but I was making a point yesterday.

Hmm. Maybe this is different, but I'll end a sentence with "but" if the rest of the sentence is implied or something I don't want to say. Or, sometimes it will also end with "but, yeah..." when there is a mutual agreement between the speaker and the listener as to what will happen. For example:

"When am I going to find time to go to the post office? They open at the same time I'm supposed to be at work and they close at the same time I get off of work. I guess I could go in the morning and show up to work late, but... (I'd get in trouble)"

Not so much. There isn't such a melting-pot of cultures here yet. You might get some kids trying to be American ghetto seeing you have such pervasive (by way of media) culture, but that won't get much respect from peers.

Wow, at least it's not respected there. In some places here people will look at you funny if you speak correctly.

Q: Where da train station at?
A: Over there

Q: To whom do I give my ticket?
A: Wtf is you talking about?

It's not like that everywhere, but in some places. In fact, in certain places (demographically speaking, they usually have many poor black people) there is a phenomenon where education is looked down upon. You lose your "street cred" if you get an education. They call it becoming "white washed" or something. So, if you stay on the streets and sell drugs and speak ebonics people respect you, but if you go to school and start speaking "the white man's English" you are basically ostracized from the community. Hooray. It's cool to be dumb. :rolleyes:

Please note that poor English is generally acceptable when used for mocking purposes :D If we're parting and I say "I gots to go back to my crib and cheeeell (chill)" and I'm saying it to be funny, that's cool. But if I always say that and I'm being serious, then I suck :D

IronFist
12-01-2004, 09:35 AM
PS. Hey Toby, have you ever been to the states? All the ladies love Australian accents :D Oh wait, aren't you married?

PPS. This goes for people from the UK, too.

unixfudotnet
12-01-2004, 09:53 AM
Accents are hot ;) Especially Irish and French :D

Half of my girlfriends have been Canadian, now I have a Joiszey girl, heh.

FatherDog
12-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Hmm. Maybe this is different, but I'll end a sentence with "but" if the rest of the sentence is implied or something I don't want to say. Or, sometimes it will also end with "but, yeah..." when there is a mutual agreement between the speaker and the listener as to what will happen.

Well then, you're not ending it with a but, you're ending it with an ellipsis. :D

IronFist
12-01-2004, 12:28 PM
^ lol :D

I meant "but" is the last word in the sentence, punctuation nonwithstanding. Because if punctuation counted, every statement would technically end with a period or exclamation point.

Toby
12-01-2004, 07:00 PM
PS. Hey Toby, have you ever been to the states? All the ladies love Australian accents :D Oh wait, aren't you married?Yeppers. Manhattan - my parents have friends that have (had) a spare apartment they use as an office on West 87th IIRC. Cleveland - my mother-in-law came from there 40yrs ago so lots of rellies to stay with. L.A. - a friend of my wife lives in Orange County but we stayed with her mum in Anaheim Hills. San Fran - wife's cousin. Aspen, CO - my mum's friend. Jackson, WY - wife's cousin. All that spread over two visits. I wasn't married then, but got engaged in an airport motel in Calgary as soon as we left the states one time. Romantic, huh? :D

Ending a sentence with "but" may be common. It's not good grammar, but.

IronFist
12-01-2004, 09:22 PM
mum

I always thought it was funny that British people and Australians actually spelled that word m-u-m. I thought they were just pronouncing "mom" with a different vowel, but they actually write it that way :D

Ending a sentence with "but" may be common. It's not good grammar, but.

So do you use it the same way I explained (to imply something that you don't want to say), or do you just throw it on the end of a sentence for fun?

Toby
12-01-2004, 10:21 PM
I always thought it was funny that British people and Australians actually spelled that word m-u-m. I thought they were just pronouncing "mom" with a different vowel, but they actually write it that way :DYeah, the correct way :rolleyes:
So do you use it the same way I explained (to imply something that you don't want to say), or do you just throw it on the end of a sentence for fun? Both. The former less, though. Like I said, I don't use it often but.

scotty1
12-02-2004, 05:41 AM
Bollocks. It's because the people in Neighbours say it like that.

"I cannot stand common errors (common here in the states, I don't know about down there) such as double negatives ("we didn't have no fun") or use of the word "ain't" ("we ain't gonna go"). Now, I'm talking about in native English speakers here. For example, if your native language was Spanish where it's considered correct to use double negatives, then I can understand why you might use them in English, too. I'll let certain errors slide, such as ending a sentence with a preposition. Oh, I also cannot stand improper verb conjugation such as "we is gonna go" or "So I says to her," and very close to the top of my hate list is the phrase "I seen," such as "Yeah, I seen one of those cars before.""

That sounds like cokerney to me, me old mucker.

ho, ho :)

If I could only visit one place in the US, where should I go?

Toby
12-02-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by scotty1
Bollocks. It's because the people in Neighbours say it like that.Lol! I haven't watched Neighbours in years. Do they often end sentences with "but"? Dunno.
If I could only visit one place in the US, where should I go? I like the Rockies, but I'm a mountain lover. Any small town in the Rockies. Depends what you're looking for. I didn't like L.A. (too sprawling with no centre) but did like Disney and Universal Studios. Manhattan was alright for a few days look around.

rogue
12-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Well, 200yrs ago we came from England.
Toby, you guys didn't come from England, you were kicked out of England!:D

Manhattan was alright for a few days look around? The freakin center of da univoirse and dats da best youse can say?

Anyways thanks for Yahoo Serious and all those Outback restaurants.

Toby
12-02-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by rogue
Toby, you guys didn't come from England, you were kicked out of England!:D:D True, true, although my family owned a large porition of land in this state, so I guess they probably came over after the early batches of crims. Plus I live on the other side and we weren't quite the penal colony that NSW and Tasmania had a reputation as being.

Manhattan was alright for a few days look around? The freakin center of da univoirse and dats da best youse can say?You know, I found Manhattan smaller than I ever thought. We walked one day from 87th to the southern tip. Didn't take long. I guess I should say that most big cities bore me. I'm into sports and stuff and cities aren't so conducive to that. I've usually been with girlfriend->wife, so we end up shopping at crappy department stores. I'd rate London marginally better than Manhattan personally. Rarely I'll enjoy a city, but I've liked Montreal and Amsterdam. Munich's pretty cool too. Copenhagen, Monte Carlo, Venice, Rome, Florence, Vienna. Some cities have flavour, but Manhattan didn't really to me. We were only there less than a week, though.

Anyways thanks for Yahoo Serious and all those Outback restaurants. :rolleyes: You're welcome, but you forgot Crocodile Dundee III, Kangaroo Jack and ugg boots on movie starlets in bikinis.

IronFist
12-02-2004, 11:52 PM
Regardless of where you go, you better not say a word like "meter" (metre?) or "kilo" here or people will look at you like this: :confused:

Then again, if you say "kilo" people might think you're talking about marijuana :D

Toby
12-03-2004, 12:17 AM
That's funny, because over here street drugs are measured in oz and lb (except by the cops :p).

scotty1
12-03-2004, 03:13 AM
Yeah same here.

And I've got an image in my head of Holly Valance in a schoolgirls uniform saying "but" at the end of a sentence. Dunno how that got there....

jun_erh
12-03-2004, 04:02 PM
who cares if it's impossible for most people to understand, it's an awesome shirt. The right wingers have one "Even on drugs, Rush is right"

rogue
12-03-2004, 08:23 PM
Toby, Amsterdam is a trip. I was always surprised by the window tappers.;)

jun_erh
12-05-2004, 06:53 AM
I like Boston brahmin accents. not pahk ya cah boston, but John Kerry/ Ted kennedy style. Tony Blankely on Mcglauhlin group does too, yo

FuXnDajenariht
12-05-2004, 01:27 PM
that shirt was pretty hilarious....and i never did really get monty python. tho its probably cuz i havent seen enough of it. i looove mister bean tho :D

Toby
12-05-2004, 07:18 PM
I've got an image in my head of Holly Valance in a schoolgirls uniform ...Mmmm, thanks. Me too now ;). Dunno, you're probably right about Neighbours. Not my favourite show :p.

rogue, I've spent a fair bit of time in Amsterdam. A week, a couple of weeks and a month. I was always surprised by the red light district. You'd come across a couple/few girls who were almost the best looking you'd ever see in your whole life. Then in some back alleys of the district you'd come across a bunch of 400lb black mommas. Thing is, my friend (the local) told me it's all one price, regardless of the girl you choose. Amazing.

The first few times in the cafes I'd find myself looking around furtively, waiting for cops to come down the road so I could stash and run. Later I was more relaxed about the whole thing. I almost wanted to bring my own bucket and coke bottle and see what people said. I hate joints.