PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS watch (a review)

Chief Fox
11-29-2004, 09:51 AM
I would recommend it.

The reason I got the watch was so I could find out how long all of my trail runs are. The watch was able to do this for me and much more.

Here’s how the watch works: You go outside and turn the watch on. It only has a battery that will last for about 12 hours so you have to turn it off between runs. It takes about a minute to link up to a GPS satellite. While it’s linking up to the satellite it doesn’t help to look up into the sky to see if you can see a satellite but for some reason I always find myself doing this.

Once it’s linked it beeps and is ready to go. You hit the start button and it starts recording pace, time and mileage. As you’re running it will display your current pace. If you are running in a heavily wooded area you may loose contact until it can get a solid link to a satellite again. At the end of the run, you hit stop and then reset. You can then change the mode and view the history of your last run. You can view the history of all your runs. You can view them individually or by weekly totals or a grand total. It also shows approximate calories burned. You can view a pretty crude map of your run. You can also set markers. So if your camping, you can set a marker at your camp site and go for a hike and always be able to find your way back to the camp site because the watch will know where it is. Pretty cool. It also has a virtual training partner. You can set your partner to run at a certain pace and it will tell you if you are ahead or behind that pace while you’re running. You can also download all of the info from the watch into the Garmin software and it will create charts for you. I haven’t done this though so I’m not exactly sure how it works.

The only things I don’t like about the watch are 1. It’s kind of big but you do get used to it. And 2. It would be nice if it had a heart rate monitor in it somehow too.

So I’d give it a B+. It’s worth it.

You can get it for $115.92 on AMAZON (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000CFYCH/qid=1101746283/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-3356666-1615821?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846) .

If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Oso
11-29-2004, 10:02 AM
cool, I've looked at similar items but that ones pretty cheap.

some of the Brunton and Sunnto units are $400+

don't really do to much trail running anymore but it'd still be a cool toy.

IronFist
11-29-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Chief Fox
While it’s linking up to the satellite it doesn’t help to look up into the sky to see if you can see a satellite but for some reason I always find myself doing this.

lol that cracked me up. Have you ever seen one? It can see you :D

Good review.

Ford Prefect
11-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Good review. I could see me doing that satellite thing too.

Toby
11-29-2004, 07:08 PM
Woah, it's a big sucker! Yeah, I like GPS. It's come a long way. I used to use little crappy units that had a battery life of like 2min. I also used to use DGPS units that involved a large backpack, an antenna, lots of cables and a big pain in the ass. At the moment I want to get a Magellan Meridian Platinum for 4wding. Fingers crossed come Christmas time :).