PDA

View Full Version : Coverage - Mr. Lo or Mun Hung

melfid
09-08-2001, 05:06 PM
Hi,

I practice Wing Chun in california. Recently, I'm doing some research and I wonder if you could assist me.

What is coverage in Wing Chun. I find a lot of referrence to this concept in your posts. Please share.

Thanks,
Dan

[This message was edited by DanM on 09-09-01 at 08:17 AM.]

mun hung
09-08-2001, 09:34 PM
Kinda busy today. I'll try to respond tonite. Anyone else care to help Dan out with covering?

melfid
09-09-2001, 03:08 AM
Hi Mun Hung,

I had a chance to meet Marcus, who is a student of your(?) Sifu. I think Jan 2000. We spoke about Wing Chun, but he didn't bring up covering. Now I am reading through your posts and I find only references to it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>In the method of Wing Chun that I am studying...we always cover. Our definition of covering is anticipating and protecting the area that is open to an attack rather than wait for the strike to come and block it. This way you are always one step ahead of your opponent rather than behind him. [/quote]

I don't get it. You hands and feet can only be one place at a time. How can you possibly "cover" an area that is open? I am not discounting this theory. I just don't get it.

Man, there sure are many different views on those techniques from your site.

By the way is Mr Lo = Marcus?

Thanks,
Dan

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it."

mun hung
09-09-2001, 09:11 AM
I believe the answer's there.

reneritchie
09-09-2001, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure this is how Mun Hung or anyone else looks at it, but the way I was taught, in some cases (when closing quickly, when caught by surprise, when preoccupied, etc.) you may just see movement coming towards you and not be able to quickly register the exact angle and likely point of impact (is the rapid blur in the corner of you eye a fist or foot, right or left, aimed at you ribs or head, locked on or capable of changing direction, and a bunch of other stuff) and will thus have to "cover" a range of possiblities. Typical hands use for this were Gaun Sao (high and low cultivating arms as done in Biu Jee and the Jong) and Poon Tan Bong (Half-Tan-Bong, aka Kwun Sao). This let you stay focused on the opponent as a whole and when/if something touched either bridge, the one touched could nullify while the other counter-attacked at the same time (or both attacked, or one guarded and the other attacked if not attack was discovered).

In some cases, based on how an opponent was standing, they would limit themselves to being able to attack in only certain ways (without major body displacement such as changing stances) and thus you could adjust your Jong Sao to maximize their usefulness against that as well.

After the close, when in contact, Chi Sao should also teach to shut off (jeet) an opponent's offense and covering any possible openings while doing this can be another way to look at it (if their arm is crossed high, they are still open low, etc.)

Maybe entirely off base,

Rgds,

RR

Roy D. Anthony
09-09-2001, 10:43 PM
IDIOM: When one door closes many doors open!

There fore since Wing Chun uses the Theory of Yin and Yang, it is no advisable that a Wing Chun Practitioner be ONLY aware of his closed gates. But must also be aware of one's openings.

A door must be open for someone to walk thru. Knowing when to close the door is COVERING. I hope this helps.

melfid
09-09-2001, 10:49 PM
Hey guys,

I asked my teacher about this and he never heard of it. Then he thought about it and we confused each other with gates!

Rene, thanks for you response. I have to think about it. My head hurts. I thought Wing Chun is supposed to be simple.

I must be stoopid. If the answer is there I don't see it.

Dan

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it."

reneritchie
09-09-2001, 10:53 PM
Hi Roy,

Good point, although I think things like Yin/Yang are no longer theoretical where WCK is concerned ;)

Dan,

It is simple, its just not easy. Through lots of kung-fu (hard work over time) the basic moves and concepts become reflex and you just go, no big worries. Pick one thing, do it over and over and over again (by yourself in the air and on the dummy, with a partner both sticking and free) until you no longer have to think too much about it, then go on to the next thing. One by one, step by step, you digest. (At least IMHO 8)

Rgds,

RR

hunt1
09-10-2001, 12:24 AM
Dan,
I am sorry to hear your sifu doesnt understand covering and that you are still confused.
I tell my students that the best thing about WC is that it tells you how to use the system through its sayings.The most important of which is that the system was founded by a girl.
If you cant see you little sister or grandfather making your technique work then you must try to see how would a smaller slower weaker person make the technique work.
Blocking depends on speed.to block you must first see the attack analyze the attack determine what the angle of attack is determine what weapon to use to intercept the attack and what angle to intercept at.also do you stand still shift step and if step where and how far etc.a great deal to do in a very short time.the only way to make it work is you must be much faster than the attacker.
If you block you are working off the attackers timing you will always be at a disadvantage.You want the attacker to work off your timing.
hence the next saying,My opponant movers but I move first.
You must play with covering to understand it.use gaun sao kwun sao fook sao bil sao mun sao etc.A gan sao runs from the groin to the chin.a mun sao will travel from low to high as it movers out. these techniques will pick off (intercept)anything in their space( and i dont even know GG).no need to see whats coming if you perform the techniques properly they will pick off whatever is in their zone.if they meet nothing then you will hit your opponant.
to see if this works close your eyes and have a friend through punchs at you ( he should tell you left side or right side until you are comfortable.Good luck

whippinghand
09-12-2001, 06:34 AM
Why do you call yourself DanM?

melfid
09-12-2001, 06:48 AM
Hi whippinghand,

Dan + First letter of my last name. --> DanM

Dan

Roy D. Anthony
09-12-2001, 06:57 AM
Yin Yang is no longer theoretical where WCK is concerned.Does your Sifu know this?
Theory is always put to practice. Perhaps restriciting your WING CHUN is the way to go these days.
People put so many restrictions on the system. This comes from so much lack of understanding. Yin and Yang is what liberates the whole Wing Chun system.

whippinghand
09-12-2001, 07:05 AM

Where is this quote from?

melfid
09-12-2001, 07:16 AM
Whipping hand,

I don't recall where I picked it up. Perhaps George Carlin, Douglas Adams, or Groucho Marx.

Why do you call yourself Whipping hand; and what are you whipping?

Dan

whippinghand
09-12-2001, 07:18 AM
What ever is necessary... Read more of my posts and you'll understand?

For a while I thought that perhaps you are Dan Millman... well, are you?

melfid
09-12-2001, 07:24 AM
Hi WH,

I'm sorry, but I'm not the person you were thinking of.

I make my own rules, so to speak. Though you may consider them laws.

Murphy.

Dan