PDA

View Full Version : Relaxation

Daredevil
09-08-2001, 07:20 PM
I know this question is one of those you can best answer with PRACTISE!, but then again that's the best answer for most of MA questions, so I'll ask away in case someone has a good insight or tip into it.

When doing the forms, or assuming a stance, I think I can reach a level of proper relaxation pretty nicely, but when my structure comes under pressure I find myself becoming way too stiff. When I try to compensate, I don't have any force, ie. I get limp.

So, the problem is that under stress, I find it very hard to maintain a proper level of relaxtion.

I guess it's a typical novice dilemma, but it's one I'm having trouble overcoming. Any ideas, guys and girls?

hunt1
09-08-2001, 07:33 PM
to be diplomatic the problem is that either you have not been taught correct stucture through which force is absorbed or just have not attained the ability to use your stucture.

burnsypoo
09-08-2001, 11:11 PM
I think that you might be relaxing 'incorreclty'.

There's more to relaxation than simply not using muscles. It's about 'relaxing' into the proper structure, and then using the minimum of muscles to maintain the proper alignment. IMO relaxation can be decieving if you assume that relaxation means that you have the correct posture/alignment. Relaxation will simply allow you the ability to find that 'correct' alignment.

The stiffness of muscles that you speak of is an obvious sign that the structure is off. Only you can determine where that alignment is in your body. And the best way to do it, is to do SLT slowly, feel connected to the earth (and not so relaxed that you're simply a jello blob on it).

Relaxed yes, but a pile of mush? no.

-BurnsyPoo-

cobra
09-09-2001, 03:38 AM
It's only a matter of time and practice and regular correction from a good instructor. Have patience. Keep doing your forms a lot on your own.

Just my 4 cents!!