PDA

View Full Version : Supplements - (Protein, Glutamine, Omega3, Creatine)

Nexus
11-30-2004, 04:56 AM
Many people use different supplements to gain an edge in their training or simply fill the lack of nutrients that their normal food intake misses out on.

There is a lot of talk in different circles of bodybuilding, martial arts and weight lifting about what works best and under what conditions. I'll go into greater detail at the bottom of this post. Below you will find detailed information but here at the top of the post, I will include a summary of my personal supplement intake daily for Protein, Glutamine, Omega3 and Creatine.

Protein - Optimum Whey 100% Vanilla - Price: $30-35/5lbs of powder - 1scoop = 22g of protein+10g from milk
22g in the morning, 44g in the evening post-workouts+10g from milk
Included throughout the day is at a minimum, 60g of natural proteins from meats (beef, chicken, tuna, salmon, thanksgiving turkey!)

Glutamine - 2 teaspoons per day of L-glutamine powder

Omega 3 - I highly recommend Barleens Flax Seed products. The taste is bearable (unlike many omega3 products) and it is high quality. You can research it more on google. I pour 2 tablespoons into my protein shakes.

Creatine - This can be purchased in pure powder or in specialized supplements. If you are serious about creatine, do some research before buying it and using it. It is a highly debated supplement and is worth learning about. I use V12 Creatine - one scoop/day for a month, then take a month off.

Steroids - I thought i'd include this. I don't use them and never have. Many bodybuilders swear by them. I personally don't believe the side-affects to your health are worth the larger muscles and increased endurance.

One Shake includes: 8oz of whole milk (10g of protein), 44g of optimum vanilla whey protein, 1 tablespoon of barleens flax seed oil, 1 teaspoon of L-glutamine powder, a healthy squirt of Hersheys chocolate syrup (optional).

Protein - To decide how many protein shakes you need, you should first determine how much protein your body can use. While adequate protein is important to enhance muscle growth, more may not be better. Excess protein does not get stored as muscle. To bulk up, you need extra calories, adequate protein, hard training and the right genetics.

Recommended for a serious bodybuilder or active martial artist: .6grams of protein for each lb of body weight daily. You can give or take .4g and be on the safe side. I personally intake .8g-1g of protein per pound of body weight daily.

Glutamine - This can be purchased in the powder form and is usually tasteless to most people. L-glutamine is the most prevalent amino acid in the bloodstream and because human cells readily synthesize it, is usually considered a non-essential amino acid. It is found in high concentration in skeletal muscle, lung, liver, brain, and stomach tissue. Skeletal muscle contains the greatest intracellular concentration of glutamine, comprising up to 60 percent of total body glutamine stores, and is considered the primary storage depot and exporter of glutamine to other tissues. I take 1-2 "teaspoons" of Glutamine powder per day.

Omega 3 (Fatty Acids) - This is usually listed as Flax seed and can be found in pills, powder/grains and oil. Omega-3 fatty acids are one of two groups of fatty acids--the omega-3s and the omega-6s--that are vital to human life. They are called essential fatty acids (EFAs), which the body cannot make but absolutely needs for normal growth and development. These fats must be supplied by diet. People living in industrialized western countries eat up to 30 times more omega-6 than omega-3 fatty acids, resulting in a relative deficiency of omega-3 fats. Omega-3 fatty acids are good for the heart. The omega-3 oils increase the concentrations of good cholesterol (high density lipoproteins, HDL) while decreasing the concentrations of bad cholesterol (triglycerides). In addition, eating omega-3-rich food will result in a moderate decrease in total cholesterol level. Furthermore, omega-3 oils also protect the heart by preventing blood clots or keeping other fats from injuring the arterial walls. They not only relax arteries but also help to decrease constriction of arteries and thickening of blood. For those with breathing problems, taking high dose omega-3 fatty acids can reduce inflammation of the airways and reduce asthma attacks.

Creatine - Creatine is considered important because it can increase the amount of energy available to working muscles. The protein is used by the body to make a chemical compound called adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the immediate fuel source used by muscles during short but intense bursts of activity. Through its conversion into phosphocreatine, a related substance, creatine appears to delay muscle fatigue by re-supplying muscles with ATP. Because creatine can be stored for later use by cells, consuming extra amounts of the protein may create a deeper energy reserve for muscles and other tissues. Excess creatine is eliminated by the kidneys. This means that creatine supplements may be of little value in people who have sufficient levels of the protein, since the kidneys automatically remove extra amounts.

While not approved by the FDA, creatine is generally used by weight lifters and athletes who wish to optimize their workouts or enhance athletic performance. It is important to distinguish fact from myth regarding the possible benefits of creatine. The scientific evidence suggests that creatine may not have much usefulness as a muscle-enhancing agent, though it does appear to moderately improve performance in exercises or sports that require short, repeated bursts of high-energy activity. For example, creatine may provide a slight energy boost to the muscles of a weight lifter during extended repetitions or a basketball player who makes yet another drive to the hoop. However, creatine does not appear to increase aerobic capacity or improve performance in endurance-type activities such as marathon running. Apart from its uses in body building and athletics, creatine may prove beneficial in the treatment of certain diseases involving the muscles or nerves.

Post your personal supplement usage if you use them or feel free to advocate all natural approaches.

Toby
11-30-2004, 06:10 AM
Hmmm. Who is the mysterious Nexus? I've been here a while and lurked a while before that but I've never noticed your persona before, despite your post count. Anyway, just rambling.

Good stuff. Everyone here knows I take protein (whey and calcium caseinate and milk). I also supp flaxseed oil as of several months now. Creatine I've debated. I'll try it one day when I've got some spare cash. It would suit my training protocol well. I don't think a single person here supps roids. None of the regulars anyway. I've got nothing against it, just not for me. I wouldn't be upset if anyone used them - it's their choice.

Vash
11-30-2004, 06:36 AM
I take a multivitamin, Glucosamine, and protein.

manofkent
12-02-2004, 08:02 AM
I only started weight training a few months ago. I take 1 scoop of natural whey (22g protien) only after a big weight work out 3times a week.
I found that i put on too much weight when i started taking it twice every day.
Its the only supplement ive ever taken and got it without advice.

Can anyone sugest a better supplement or another way of taking it?

I'd never take Roids, but what side effects do they have???

and its hardly 100% whey protien if it tastes of vanilla! But are the flavoured ones as good as non-flavoured. I just down it as fast as pos cos its pretty rank.

Toby
12-02-2004, 07:31 PM
I mix it with milk. I find whey pretty tasteless. It's the calcium caseinate that's chalky and hard to mix. I mix about 35-40g 1/2-1/2 of the above with a tablespoon of honey and milk to bring it up to 700ml. The honey takes care of the taste. I used to use chocolate or strawberry flavouring.