PDA

View Full Version : High Kicks ?!

Ironwind
11-30-2004, 08:37 AM
When is the best time to use a high kick?

Like a hook kick or a round house to the face.

And if all High Kicks should be jumping kicks how would I learn to

jump higher and smoother?

norther practitioner
11-30-2004, 08:48 AM
Do a search for jumping, there have been a couple of threads.

Chief Fox
11-30-2004, 09:21 AM
The best time to use a high kick is when it's unexpected.

I like to set up a high kick by throwing some low kicks at knee level and then maybe some body punches and then following up with a high kick. I also use sweeps in the same fashion. Distract my opponent high and attack low.

I don't believe that all high kicks should be jumping kicks. But you can improve your jumping ability. One way to get better at jumping kicks is to practice jumping kicks. Another way is to increase your vertical leap. Go to google and do a search for "improve vertical leap". There are tons of articles out there. There are also programs you can pay for if you'd like. Here's a LINK (http://www.ultimatehandbook.com/Webpages/Health/vertical.html) to one free program that looks pretty good.

Good luck.

SevenStar
11-30-2004, 10:06 AM
Why would you think that all high kicks should be jumping kicks? I disagree with that.

As for high kicks, you use them the same way you use anything else - when the opportunity presents itself. The only to kicks I really ever throw high are the roundhouse and hook kick - I have success with both, but more with the roundhouse than the hook kick.

mortal
11-30-2004, 10:27 AM
I actuall prefer the inner and outer crescent kicks. The outer you use after someone punches and your in close. The inner I just throw inbetween someones gaurd. You have to have highly developed flexability to make these kicks effective. Otherwise don't bother.

I wouldn't advise using jumping kicks in fighting. They are good for developing explosive power. That is about it.

Chief Fox
11-30-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by mortal
I actuall prefer the inner and outer crescent kicks. The outer you use after someone punches and your in close. The inner I just throw inbetween someones gaurd. You have to have highly developed flexability to make these kicks effective. Otherwise don't bother.

I wouldn't advise using jumping kicks in fighting. They are good for developing explosive power. That is about it.

I'm curious, why no jumping kicks?

I do believe that they are risky in some situations but i also believe that every technique has time and place. Thoughts?

While sparring I don't use many high jumping kicks, sometimes a double front kick. Most times I use a low jump kick. Imagine a northern hop to cover distance and comig down with a kick to the knee. Not a big flashy jumping kick but still a jumping kick that is very effective.

BTW, I also like the crescent kicks. They are very effective especially when followed up with a sweep.

mortal
11-30-2004, 11:32 AM
I'm curious, why no jumping kicks?

If your comfortable with them that is fine. I just feel they are too risky. Also they can't generate power from the ground on impact. And the fact that when doing these kicks they have a tendency to leave you overcommitted.

Double front kick? Like the double front slap? Bringing up both feet next to each other at the same time? I can't imagine using that in sparring. That is if we are talking about the same kick.

"BTW, I also like the crescent kicks. They are very effective especially when followed up with a sweep."

Agreed.

Chief Fox
11-30-2004, 12:10 PM

If your comfortable with them that is fine. I just feel they are too risky. Also they can't generate power from the ground on impact. And the fact that when doing these kicks they have a tendency to leave you overcommitted.

I agree about leaving you overcommitted. But they are powerful especially the jump spining inside crescent.

Double front kick? Like the double front slap? Bringing up both feet next to each other at the same time? I can't imagine using that in sparring. That is if we are talking about the same kick.

I didn't explain this. What I mean is a double jump front kick. First kick is low to groin or abdomen and also to generate upward power for the second higher kick to the throat, chin or face. This is also a great setup for the sweep.

mortal
11-30-2004, 12:19 PM
"I agree about leaving you overcommitted. But they are powerful especially the jump spining inside crescent. "

Ah the tornado. My favorite kick.

"What I mean is a double jump front kick. First kick is low to groin or abdomen and also to generate upward power for the second higher kick to the throat, chin or face."

Never tried that one. Sounds like some Jet li stuff.

Chief Fox
11-30-2004, 12:24 PM

Never tried that one. Sounds like some Jet li stuff.

Think Karate Kid Crane Technique. But no stupid starting on one foot in a crane stance and the first kick actually hits your opponent low.

It's funny, all the different names that people have for the same kicks. Makes talking about it kinda hard.

Oso
11-30-2004, 01:40 PM
The only to kicks I really ever throw high are the roundhouse and hook kick - I have success with both, but more with the roundhouse than the hook kick.

I'm curious...could you describe how you set up and execute your hook?

oh, and by 'set up' I'm meaning more of body mechanics and not setting up your opponent.

I kinda lead w/ my but just a little and slide in on the back leg.
I usually either throw a full side kick at the low or middle gate
or just a jink w/ my hip hoping to make em think a side kick is coming low.

my hook itself fires out as a side kick that passes the head then I pretty much just try to kick myself in the butt w/ my heel.

also, a failed hook can be a set up for o soto gari.

**edit: judoinfo.com seems to be down, went to double check my reference.

Oso
11-30-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Chief Fox
Think Karate Kid Crane Technique. But no stupid starting on one foot in a crane stance and the first kick actually hits your opponent low.

It's funny, all the different names that people have for the same kicks. Makes talking about it kinda hard.

my hung gar teacher called that a 'step kick' as in the first kick is used as a step up to get the higher kick.

my 2nd teacher called the same kick a 'chicken kick'

I think some Northern styles might call it a 'Mandarin Duck Kick' but I've never seen an example of what a 'MDK' looks like, only a verbal description.

CF, wait till you start trying to talk throws around here. :D

mortal
11-30-2004, 01:56 PM
I always set up round house with a high punch. Works everytime if you do it fast enough.

First I bring my knee up towards my chest then shoot it out in a straight line. Out this point I turn my hip a strike. I retract it along the same line.
Except if the guy goes flying. lolo The I just let it drop.

I like the hook kick but not to good for striking. Better for using as a leg sweep.

SevenStar
12-01-2004, 09:58 AM
jumping kicks and tornado kicks in sparring...whatever floats your boat, I guess. different people naturally have different preferences. My thai boxing coach does alot of teeps and roundhouses, but also loves the spinning back kick...

Chief Fox
12-01-2004, 10:11 AM
I don't rely on jumping kicks while sparring. But I do like to try them from time to time just to see how they would work. Sometimes it works for me, sometimes after I'm done with the kick my opponent is just standing there looking at me. I figure we practice them so why not try to use them.

Ironwind
12-01-2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Oso
I'm curious...could you describe how you set up and execute your hook?

oh, and by 'set up' I'm meaning more of body mechanics and not setting up your opponent.

I kinda lead w/ my but just a little and slide in on the back leg.
I usually either throw a full side kick at the low or middle gate
or just a jink w/ my hip hoping to make em think a side kick is coming low.

my hook itself fires out as a side kick that passes the head then I pretty much just try to kick myself in the butt w/ my heel.

also, a failed hook can be a set up for o soto gari.

**edit: judoinfo.com seems to be down, went to double check my reference.

You talking about the monkey conquers snake technique?

I have a group of uncles who keep argueing the point of high kicks in battle. I mean thier covering the walls with techniques and essays and the last time they were in school was to pick me up.

Oso
12-02-2004, 06:09 AM
umm, you'd have to describe your 'monkey conquers snake' for me to say yes or no.