PDA

View Full Version : WHF lost writings?

WhiteMonkey
11-30-2004, 08:58 AM
Greetings I have been lurking for a while....My name is Mike I study 7star PM.

Question?

Steve Cottrell's MQ states in the new issue that the "lost writings" of WHF have been in the possession of a handful of martial artists worldwide, and they are being translated for the quarterly.

What writings? When were they lost and who found them?

Is anyone else here in possession of these writings?

If not who has/had them?

White Monkey

BeiTangLang
11-30-2004, 09:31 AM
Best answered at the source; Contact Sifu Cottrell on his website email. I'm sure he'd be happy to answer.

~BTL

WhiteMonkey
11-30-2004, 09:57 AM
Thanks but I'm looking for a reply thats NOT from Mr. Cottrell, thats why I posted it here.

And why post a reply to my sig, in your sig?

What are you trying to say?

Thanks

BeiTangLang
11-30-2004, 10:49 AM
Fair enough, I just thought I'd mention it. He would be the most reliable source on the subjects published in the Quarterly though.

I did not change my sig in direct reply to yours, your sig did make me think about the subject though. I've had the same sig for too long & I changed it based upon the theme I saw in yours.
It was not meant to insult anyone!

Best Wishes,
~BTL

sayloc
11-30-2004, 10:50 AM
White Monkey

"Real Masters dont post on forums"

Thats because they are to old to figure out how to turn on a computer not to mention signing onto the net!

:)

WhiteMonkey
11-30-2004, 11:15 AM
BTL- No worrys then, glad it got you thinking.

sayloc- Yeah and working a digital video camera :D

WhiteMonkey
11-30-2004, 02:26 PM
BTL just to let you know I joined MQ forums to ask the question and received a message in my email that stated "I have not met the requirements for the forum".

I think maybe its because I refused to answer the lineage question because I thought it served no purpose, I dont really think that information is needed to join an internet message board.

So does anyone have any info into WHF's lost writing's, or heard anything or is Steve the only one with this info?

Mike

shirkers1
11-30-2004, 02:33 PM
Hey mike I had problems posting as well at first but you just have to email steve and they'll work it out for you. I'll go ahead and post this for you over there to see what comes up. :)

I'm really interested in this as well, I know of the books and that s about it for me. Of coarse I can't read any of them... yet. :) So hopefully some light will be shed on this subject. :)

mark

WhiteMonkey
11-30-2004, 02:41 PM
Thank you shirkers1.

Mike

BeiTangLang
11-30-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by WhiteMonkey
BTL just to let you know I joined MQ forums to ask the question and received a message in my email that stated "I have not met the requirements for the forum".

Well,...I don't know. Did you read the requirements before you submitted? I know several boards require you to give your real name/no aka's/etc & ofter check to verify your credentials before you can join.
Thats the main reason so many private boards are coming up on the net; people are tired of no-face electro-mouths.
(Not saying that you are one of them, just that that is a reason)

Originally posted by WhiteMonkey

I think maybe its because I refused to answer the lineage question because I thought it served no purpose, I dont really think that information is needed to join an internet message board.

I wouldn't know, but if it is a posted requirement for the forum, I'd bet that you are right in that being the reason.

~BTL

Tainan Mantis
11-30-2004, 05:12 PM
White Monkey,
Are you referering to Shaolin Zhen Chuan?
That is not his personal writings.

Some of his stuff is hard to come by, but I have not heard anything is lost.
As far s Western readers are concerned I would say it was never found.
Since almost none of his writings have been translated into English.

WhiteMonkey
11-30-2004, 05:22 PM
shirkers1- I noticed your post on MQ was removed, thanks anyways.

Maybe I should not be asking these questions, but I thought that MQ was about sharing info, I guess not.

Sorry if I offened anyone, but it is posted on their site so I asked, I guess that info is only for the paying customers, so much for the community.

Tainan Mantis- I dont know what it is, thats what I'm trying to find out also, who is it that has this info, as I have lots from my Sifu, and just wanted to research, maybe I know the Master or Masters who has these "lost writings", the Mantis Community is pretty small.

Maybe Steve will chime in with an answer, or maybe not?

Sorry again.

Mike

BeiTangLang
11-30-2004, 07:00 PM
MQ's "WHF's lost manuals? " is there as a thread.
Maybe thats not it,....

WhiteMonkey
11-30-2004, 09:10 PM
Wonderful, thank you Btl for that info, I looked and it was there and then it was gone, now its back just with diffrent info but same question.

Thank you again shirkers1

Mike

NorthernShaolin
11-30-2004, 11:44 PM
Well I do not know 7*, nor have I read any MQ articles, but I like to share something with you all that may give some light to some of your questions.

I knew Sifu Brendan Lai for many years. About 38 years ago, I had visited him at his school and he took the time to take me into his personal office to show me some hand-written documents in Chinese on PM 7* that were given to him by his sifu. It was about 3/4 to one inch thick. He told me that these were documents that were handed down through the generations and were not for public knowledge. I knew right a way that these were not something found in a typical MA book. He told me that they were personal notes on the 7* style by past sifus. They were given to disciples who were going to be teachers for the next generation of PM 7*. He was very proud to have them and told me that they were the most precious thing he had and held them as if these doucuments were more valuable than all the gold in the world.

He flipped through some pages and read me parts of the documents and demonstrated its meaning. It appeared to me at that time that they were on theory and fighting techniques specific to PM. Very aggressive techniques. Of course I acknowledged and thanked him for sharing it with me but it really did not have any meaning for me since I was studying another style. He just smiled and was just glad that I appreciated what he shared with me and we proceded to change the subject and talked about my sifu who was a good friend of his because Lai Sifu started BSL with my sifu before he started studying 7* PM, and we also talked about other various northern styles.

Anyway, maybe this is what Sifu Cottrell is translating and writing in the Mantis Quarterly? Maybe Lai Sifu gave him these same documents that he thought was more valuable than gold to Sifu Cottrell? I have not read MQ articles so I really do not know if that they are really the same.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong and they are not the same.

WhiteMonkey
12-01-2004, 08:17 AM
The info is posted on The MQ forum, thank you BTL shirkers1 and everyone else, also Steve Cottrell, thank you for this info.

Mike