PDA

View Full Version : Making money teaching Praying Mantis

WhiteMonkey
11-30-2004, 02:39 PM
Can it be done?

Can you make a living teaching PM with out the kid classes or with out the belt ranks?

How do you make money teaching PM, or do you teach it just for the love?

Myself I dont think it can be done unless, you water it down, make it like Karate, or Judo, and have lots of kid classes, and ladies self defence, belt ranks and testing fee's, this is something I wont do.

So do you earn a living watering down your system, or live poor and keep it true?

Thanks

Chief Fox
11-30-2004, 02:42 PM
What's wrong with kids classes?

I believe that children are our future, tech them well and let them lead the way.

shirkers1
11-30-2004, 02:44 PM
I can't see watering it down myself and I find it hard to take money to teach. Although I would love to just do this and not have to work I know I don't have the background and full knowledge of the system to make a name and living at it. But what I do know is good enough for me, I get to workout with people and they help chip in for equipment, trips, etc. For now I'm happy with that.

sayloc
11-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Do you thing the schools that teach the tan tui sets and northern set such as kung lik watered down? There must be a reason that they started teaching these sets in the first place.

My kids class has the most promise. The ones that stay around untill they are 17 have the fundamental out of the way and can begin to focus on the intricate stuff. They should be great by the time they are 25. Why would you want to start with some one who is 21? It seems harder to me to make a martial artist out of someone who starts later in life. Most of the "good" martial artists did not start at 24. I would not ignore the childrens market.

Belt ranking. Just do a price check of the other schools in the town figure in their belt testing fees and charge the same. Many Karate schools dont charge for testing anymore the just add it into the monthly fee.

I am sure that many of the "Old Masters" would agree that mantis kung fu has more to offer than just fighting. It can help people in any different aspects of thier lives.

Womens self defense. Doing something good for the comunity and making a little money doesnt sound to bad.

When you run a bussiness it is like being in a fight. You have to think out of the box. If you find yourself in a bad situation you have to adapt or change the situation to your atvantage.

Have a good day

sayloc
11-30-2004, 03:19 PM
Yes I do think you can make a living at it, that is if you are a good instructor and good with people.

mantis108
11-30-2004, 04:00 PM
"Myself I dont think it can be done unless, you water it down, make it like Karate, or Judo,"

I am not sure how is a Mckwoon (not pointing fingers here) better than a McDojo? Is there any proof to that? Mckwoon can anytime sux big time aganist a real Karate or Judo Dojo or vice versa. I don't mean to offend anyone. I just wanted to say that sweeping statements as such are not helpful to the cause. Karate, Judo, TKD, MMA, BJJ, Capeoira, etc.. are all popular for a reason. You just have to find the niche for your own to make it successful. [but then Modern Wushu will never ever be better than traditional Kung Fu - THAT IS A FACT. PERIOD]

" and have lots of kid classes, and ladies self defence,"

If Kung Fu can not give kids the discipline and confidence to protect themselves against bullies or drastic situation such as a school shooting incident when there is not enough help from adults, what good is Kung Fu? If Kung Fu can not give proper instructions and right attitude to ladies to properly defend themselves what good is Kung Fu? We might as well think of ourselve being "movie fu" living in fantasy land. I believe Kung Fu is to help people especially those who are considered weak to help themselves. Beware of elitist mindset.

" belt ranks and testing fee's, this is something I wont do."

I agreed that ranks and testing fee's are not good practice for Kung Fu. But then I don't teach to make money for a living. So ... May be to some it's a necessary evil.

Mantis108

WhiteMonkey
11-30-2004, 05:41 PM
Mantis108 wrote

"I'am not sure how is a Mckwoon (not pointing fingers here) better than a McDojo? Is there any proof to that? Mckwoon can anytime sux big time aganist a real Karate or Judo Dojo or vice versa. I don't mean to offend anyone. I just wanted to say that sweeping statements as such are not helpful to the cause. Karate, Judo, TKD, MMA, BJJ, Capeoira, etc.. are all popular for a reason. You just have to find the niche for your own to make it successful."

"better" no one was comparing, and I'm not here to help the cause, I do Kung-Fu, not any of the arts you mentioned.

also let me show you where you contradict your self, please read below

[but then Modern Wushu will never ever be better than traditional Kung Fu - THAT IS A FACT. PERIOD]\

so much for YOU helping "the cause"

Thanks

mantis108
11-30-2004, 06:06 PM
Thank you for your clarification. I wish you all the best in your endeavours.

Regards

Mantis108

Oso
12-01-2004, 12:09 PM
:rolleyes:

shirkers1
12-01-2004, 12:14 PM
lol oso.

WhiteMonkey
12-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Oso
:rolleyes:

Yeah I must be a troll, was it because I didn't agree with Mantis108?

Or because I dont care about the other arts that are not Kung Fu?

Or maybe because I pointed out when mantis108 contradicted himself?

Or because I'm new and dont have over three thousand posts like yourself?

Plaese explain oso, it's pretty rude to jude others you dont know.

So what's the deal?

Mike

Shadow Skill
12-01-2004, 05:57 PM
I think you can make money without watering a system down.
If you knew the mantis you studied was watered down would you really want to continue to study. I wouldn't . I started learning S. mantis because of the fact that it wasn't any thing like judo, or karate, or any thingelse I've seen. further more it's all a matter of marketing, supply and demand, how many kung fu schools in your area? How many mantis schools in your area. personaly I'm learning an art that isn't easy to find in Nebraska but a lot of people seem interested in. So basicly from a marketing stand point I have a unique product
that people want and people will pay for. Do you remember tickle me Elmo around Christmas a few back. stores ran out and the few that were left were sold at an increased price.

Oso
12-02-2004, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by WhiteMonkey
Can it be done?

Can you make a living teaching PM with out the kid classes or with out the belt ranks?

How do you make money teaching PM, or do you teach it just for the love?

Myself I dont think it can be done unless, you water it down, make it like Karate, or Judo, and have lots of kid classes, and ladies self defence, belt ranks and testing fee's, this is something I wont do.

So do you earn a living watering down your system, or live poor and keep it true?

Thanks

WM, this is completely a trolling post.

You know it.

I know it.

Everyone else knows it.

Robert is just perhaps the nicest person on the forum here and will always give people the benefit of the doubt and attempt to talk with them about what they are saying.

Oso
12-02-2004, 06:13 AM
I percieve lockdown to be eminent.

WhiteMonkey
12-02-2004, 07:28 AM
Oh, its because you know it

And I now it,

And everyone else knows it,

so it must be true.......

Thats so high school....are you a kid?

That sounds like something my 16yr old would say!

Your actions are childish.

Mike

BeiTangLang
12-02-2004, 08:06 AM
Posts with fore-gone conclusions ("So do you earn a living watering down your system, or live poor and keep it true?")
are usually troll posts; but I was giving this one the bennefit of the doubt.

I would say,"Guys, go back on topic or this thread is locked!", but I'd rather just say, go to school & take some buisness courses if you are serious about your question. aka, If you really care about being a TCMA teacher & making a living at it, get buisness info from a buisness school.

O.K.,....now,

Guys, go back on topic or this thread is locked! :)

~BTL

-N-
12-02-2004, 09:40 AM
Can you make a living teaching PM with out the kid classes or with out the belt ranks? If you look in the WHF 40th anniversary book, you'll see pictures of children in classes, and also girl's/women's classes. He taught thousands of students, but less than 2 dozen were considered graduates.

How do you make money teaching PM, or do you teach it just for the love?For my teacher, it was more the latter. Between his supply company and teaching, he really didn't do all that well financially.

For some long time students, he charged them the same tuition that they paid 10 or 15 years earlier. For other students, he taught them for years without even taking a fee. He also declined to teach some people regardless of fees.

So do you earn a living watering down your system, or live poor and keep it true?My teacher lived poor. And I'm fortunate that I don't have to rely on teaching to make a living.

N.

tanglang69
12-02-2004, 10:33 AM
Yes you can make a living teaching PM.

You don't have to water anything down. You just have to set up your curriculum in a way that is easy for beginners to learn and then you progress them into the intricacies of the art.

If you want to compete against the karate or tae kwon do schools down the street, then you will need a ranking system. The colored belt or sash system is the most popular. Face it we live in a society that ranks everything and people want to see where they stand. Ranking is another way to teach people about goal setting. Short term goals, mid-term goals and long-term goals. This will allow for great retention. I have been attending annual martial arts business conventions (EASYPAY, ANDREW WOOD, NAPMA, & MAIA) since the mid 90's. We were about the only kung fu schools to attend. It was mostly other styles. In the last few years, I have seen more and more kung fu schools going to these conventions.

Can you make money money teaching PM? YES YOU CAN! But you will need to adapt. You do not need to water anything down, just organize it.

For those of you that just don't want to change anything and just do it for the sake of teaching it to a select few. Great. Do it and have fun at it.

Right now, I work a full-time job with the government and teach part-time in the evening at a friend's school (program director & chief instructor). And I have fun at it.

But if you want help organizing or advice on martial arts business practices, just pm me. I am currently helping out 2 pm school owners.

Well gotta run.

oved:D

yu shan
12-04-2004, 07:08 PM
Reading between the lines... your teacher sounds like a very good Man, nice story.

Like I have mentioned here before, I teach part-time. I`ve been with my day job (company) for 28 years. This day job of course pays the bills and provides insurance. I have always kept my overhead low with the KF. Less stress keeps the worries to a minimum. I do reinvest money made from teaching back into class, and this teaching gig helps my family also. I would like to run something by you guys. I give my students until the 15th of the month to come up with tuition. I still have some students that pay late. Do I penalize these students or just not worry about it? I think a student should show responsibility for himself (no females are late) and learn to pay there Shifu and pay him on time. And what do you think about students, some senior students that come up with excuse after excuse for NOT paying at all. One senior had not payed me since March. Should I not worry about this, or do as my parents taught me... be responsible and pay your bills?! I am trying to teach more than just KF here. We are trying to make these indivduals the best thay can be. One more thing, should a student be held accountable for the months they missed? FYI, I do not do contracts. As for me, I have always taken care of my Shifus, payed them well... plus! I respect what these men have done and the fact they take time out of there lives to teach me. Thank you in advance.

-N-
12-05-2004, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by yu shan
your teacher sounds like a very good Man He was. Rest in peace.

And what do you think about students, some senior students that come up with excuse after excuse for NOT paying at all. One senior had not payed me since March. Disrespectful and irresponsible... no concept of the relationship between Sifu and student. This is a kind of culture shock to me. It's completely outrageous. The Sifu is the kung fu father. No student should dare to take advantage this way.

If this student is the type to make excuses for his kung fu also, then he is not worth your time. The teacher should not be put in the position of constantly reminding the student to pay. You might assign some responsible student the duty of collection tuitions on your behalf. And also for teaching his/her classmates how to show proper respect.

One more thing, should a student be held accountable for the months they missed? Absolutely. Unless you have your own reasons not to take a fee.

N.

p.s. I just had to post an edit here.... the more I think about this situation, the more irritated I get. In Chinese culture, the Sifu is like the father. Elsewhere, people seem to look at the Sifu as the guy behind the Burger king counter who's supposed to serve it your way.

Hua Lin Laoshi
12-05-2004, 08:00 AM
"Elsewhere, people seem to look at the Sifu as the guy behind the Burger king counter who's supposed to serve it your way."

Good analogy.

yu shan
It may be true for some to have multiple financial obligations due at the same time so you might want to change the payment date for anyone that's consistantly late. After that if they're still late thay have no excuse. I had payments fall on either the 5th or the 20th.

Also, you get what you pay for so make sure there's a noticable difference between the attention and training a paying students gets compared to the ones tagging along for free.

Just some thoughts.

sayloc
12-05-2004, 09:22 AM
When a student starts I make them pay for two months up front. On the anniversary date of their first month they pay for one month. That way they are always one month ahead. If they are a week late no big deal. That gives you a little extra time to get the money out of them.

You will always have people who owe you money. You can not get around it. Even if it is only a bottle of water. About 3% of my students are always late on payment or just dont pay at all.
That is not bad when you compare it to other types of business.

If you set your school up in a poor part of town, what do you expect?

Contracts are the best way to go. I just cant bring myself to do that at this time. I know I wont send anyone into collections. I think the reason contracts work that the student would rather pay $80 a month for 6 months than to come in and tell you they want to stop taking class. Some day I will do contracts.

People do not care about the sifu being the father of the school. that is bs to 75% of them. 20% just tell you what you want to hear. 5% care.

But, just because some one is called sifu does not mean that they are a good person or even deserve any more respect than anyone else. Half of the sifu's out there teaching now were probably the one's who did not pay when they were students.

I am sure many of the people behind the burger king counter are more responsible than many sifus.

If you are out at the bars getting hammered with your students like their friend, then you should not expect to be taken seriously.

I have been cheated by many a sifu.

That is another thread.

Yushan ,

It sounds to me like you have a very successful club. You are doing it part time and making extra cash. That sounds great. You are probably producing better students than the full time guys. Keep up the good work!

Have a good day

yu shan
12-05-2004, 07:22 PM
I am sorry, did not know. Your teachers spirit will live on thru you... keep him in your heart and your thoughts.

I thank you -N- for your response to my little rant. I think 100% like you. It is embarrising for me to remind students to pay, and I`ve just about had it. This never use to be a problem. I have noticed this recent generation seems to be lacking morals and ethics. Sure my students are good people. And I do tell "the stories" about my teachers and all they have done and how lucky we are, etc. This generation coming up seem spoon fed and use to life handed to them. I too know how it feels to be poor, but I always payed my Shifu! I am going to think about the idea of having a responsible senior student collect and communicate this to the few that cant seem to get it.

Sayloc,

Our group has been known to party together. To be honest, we use to party alot more when I was in Wah Lum. No knock down drinking, just get togethers to socialize. These get-togethers have tappered off in the years. Mostly because (senior students) are growing older and having familys and relationships. I do not let myself get too close, they know I care. And yes, I have a nice little club going. There is alot of potential with these young people. It is not the KF that is hard to teach, it is breaking bad habits. I can only lead by example, it is how I teach my KF. Maybe it will sink in someday, with some it has already happened. And yes, I make sure money made goes to my family, it is one of my main driven forces. The odd thing, my school is in a very upscale area filled with major colleges. I`m new to this area, going to put out a flyer in these schools over the holidays, we shall see.

Hua Lin,

I here ya man, you get what you pay for. I understand what you are saying about the attention between those who pay and those who tag along! But, I do give two weeks into the month to come up with tuition. I do stress to some the fact they need to budget. And tell them how I do this sort of thing.

In closing, I think along the same lines as -N-. The Asian culture is full of quality.

-N-
12-06-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by sayloc
But, just because some one is called sifu does not mean that they are a good person or even deserve any more respect than anyone else. Half of the sifu's out there teaching now were probably the one's who did not pay when they were students.

I am sure many of the people behind the burger king counter are more responsible than many sifus.I believe it!

N.

-N-
12-06-2004, 10:09 AM
In closing, I think along the same lines as -N-. The Asian culture is full of quality. LOL... good and bad, just like any other. I just look at it as "this is how we do things" and "this is what I'm used to".

Here's an example of the Chinese mindset.

This week, we had a guest in the class... a teacher, and also a kungfu cousin as it turns out. A mom of 2 of the students found out, and lectured the kids in advance on behaving respectfully, and on not doing anything to bring shame or embarrassment to their teacher.

After the class, she asked me several times if the kids behaved properly. I was glad to be able to answer yes. If I had said "no" or "yes, but..." the kids would have had no Gameboy and no Xbox for the following week. They also would have had to write a letter of apology, and they would have apologised in person as well. This has happened before.

In Cantonese, we call this "ga gow" or family teaching. It's one of the cultural values. One of the worst criticisms of a child and his or her parents is to say "mo ga gow" or "he has no family teaching". It is an embarrassment to the entire family. And it's the absolute worst if a teacher, kungfu or otherwise, has made that criticism.

N.

Oso
12-06-2004, 02:50 PM
One of the worst criticisms of a child and his or her parents is to say "mo ga gow" or "he has no family teaching". It is an embarrassment to the entire family. And it's the absolute worst if a teacher, kungfu or otherwise, has made that criticism.

round here we jus' say "His momma din raise him up raight"

:D

yea, that's one of the things i'm struggling with in my school as well being so new. Ming Yue is doing a good job of getting everyone squared away though. It's tough starting out when there aren't any real 'senior' students.

Joe Mantis
12-06-2004, 11:00 PM
Just a thought:

Many on this forum seem to have many years of experience in CMA and understand how CMA was taught in China and what the relationship of the Sifu and the student is... yadda yadda...

However, what about the NEW student who hasn't had exposure to CMA and is basically clueless about the afore mentioned dynamic?

I have found that it is my responsibility to educate the new student as to how I want things done in my facility. If they haven't paid up it is my problem. IT seems that all the die hard CMAers know that training is a matter of priority. When I wanted to learn something then somehow I "found" the money for it.
I think we need educate the student to the Value of their training.

I don't like contracts either so we use "agreements." I agree to show up at the appointed time and help students learn CMA. They agree that they will commit a certain time period to me (months) so that I can help them benefit from their training.

I think student's should sign a contract/agreement because I signed one with my landlord. Commitment is key here.....

peace,
Joe Mantis

Joe Mantis
12-06-2004, 11:12 PM
To teach good Praying Mantis for a living does require a different mindset. IMO it requires asking ourselves HOW can I continue to teach quality martial arts yet reach a greater number of people?

We may have to change or deviate from the way we were taught.
Actually maybe the WAY (not what) we were taught wasn't all that good.

I had a teacher who was a great martial artist but couldn't teach worth a darn. He could show stuff (like a college prof who just reads his notes) but he couldn't engage the student at their level.
Having been in education for a number of years, I was running one of his classes and he yelled at me for the way I (a professional teacher) was "teaching." I didn't say anything except that I vowed I wouldn't teach my students like he taught.

How can we continue to do a great job training our students but reach a greater number of people?

Teach on little teachers,

Joe Mantis

-N-
12-07-2004, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Joe Mantis
However, what about the NEW student who hasn't had exposure to CMA and is basically clueless about the afore mentioned dynamic?If his momma din raise him up raight, I tell him, "Sorry, I'm not a teacher. I just practice here with my family." Then I suggest he check out the local karate schools. So far, no one has asked me how the 55 year old white guy is related to me ;)

Funny story to some...

One of my junior classmates relocated to southern California and wanted to stay in some kind of martial art. She found Sifu Hawkins Cheung and asked when were classes. He told her to come back at a particular time and day. Everything was ok until she continued with, "Is that when you have classes?" Without saying another word, Sifu Cheung turned his back on her and walked away.

N.

sayloc
12-07-2004, 06:37 AM
Great post joe mantis!

It seems you and I both feel that the student as an indivudual human being is just as imporant as the art itself. I think that is the first thing an instructor should realize if he/she wants to "make money teaching praying mantis kung fu".

SaMantis
12-07-2004, 08:44 AM
Earning a living teaching CMA -- I think about the issue quite a lot. Maybe more than I should, considering I've got a few more years to go in my system before opening a school becomes a real consideration.

No matter how you structure the program, it will be a full-time job getting the school up and running and keeping it profitable. (And this is in addition to the regular full-time job most of us have to keep to pay the rent.) You have to stay cognizant of the fact that it is a business, even if you just teach for the love of it. A lot of other people/entities will only see you as a business -- not your students, but the landlord, the utility companies, the IRS, etc. You have to satisfy their requirements.

I've been a freelance writer for several years now, and getting work is and has always been a full-time task. I recommend to anyone, in any type of business, to take several business courses. Not just at the community college -- there are free courses taught by federal, state and local government agencies. Look up the SBA to start. If you're starting a CMA school, this is a great way to begin learning "the business side" with just an investment of time.

IMO the better focused your business & marketing plans are, the easier they are to implement, and then you can spend more time actually teaching.

WhiteMonkey
12-07-2004, 09:31 AM
Ladies self defence is not that bad, but I think I will keep the kids out untill their at least 11, same as my Sifu, he wont teach kids, with out teaching the parents, you cant drop off the little 9yr old at the door and expect Sifu to babysit, I agree too young...no good .

Mike

sayloc
12-07-2004, 11:52 AM
I have to disagree with your point on teaching children.

Shadow Skill
12-07-2004, 12:56 PM
I have to agree with white monkey. Kung fu isn't a time to drop the kids off and leave. I don't think the parents have to be part of the class but, they need to stay their until class is over.

sayloc
12-07-2004, 01:16 PM
I usually teach them kung fu during the time they are there.

Not sure what you mean by baby sitting.

If you dont teach respect and self control I could see where you may have a problem.

Most parents stay for the children under 8 anyway.

I start the kids out doing the moderate to full contact san shou at 8 if they want. It works great. They are becoming good fighters.

You are missing a big part of the market if you dont teach children below 11. That age group makes up a big part of my rent.

I think the children can benifit and learn traditional MA below 11 years old.

I only have about 40 kids with about 25 bieng under 11 years of age. I may not be doing that great myself.

I know one thing, you cant think like a monkey and make a living at teaching praying mantis kung fu. Somtimes you have to think out of the box. :)

If anyone would like to know how I run my kids program, just pm and I would be glad to help.

-N-
12-07-2004, 02:48 PM
I start the kids out doing the moderate to full contact san shou at 8 if they want. It works great.Yep.

I think the children can benifit and learn traditional MA below 11 years old.Yep, again.

N.

Joe Mantis
12-07-2004, 06:57 PM
Definately agree with you SaMantis. Get some business info under your belt.

Great point SayLoc; teaching kids does not equate to babysitting.
I let parents drop off their kids for class. They are very punctual about being on time for pick up. And while the parents are gone, the kids are learning and practicing kung fu. I don't particularly favor teaching children, but it helps with the rent and I can help get kids started on a lifelong journey in kung fu.

N:

I often get kids whose "momma didn't raise him right." But for some reason the parents wonder why the child shows more discipline around me than at home. I've even had parents jokingly say that I should move in with them to make sure their child stays disciplined. :D
Most unruly kids want to fit in and so they tend to change their behavior to that of the rest of the class.
Teaching kids is all a matter of personal preference.

sayloc
12-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Joe Mantis

I can tell that you have teaching experience.

To be honest I have my higher level students run my kids program for me. I am thare for every class to manage and to keep an eye on things (One reason I do not participate is because my children are in the class. It is to hard for me to teach my own children) .

I feel it is a great place to start your assistants on their way to being effective instructors. I think you will agree that you have to have a good indtructor training program in place. I hate the schools who just turn wanna be instructurs lose without any trainihg.

I have two 11 year olds who have been with me for three years and they can bust through a difficult two person set and I am about to start them on thier fist two person weapons set. I could not imagine making them wait untill just now to start them out.

I never underestimate children.

Joe Mantis
12-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Sayloc:
Check your PM.

Thanks for the props.
I too have "more experienced" students helping in my classes.
Yes, leadership training is very important although I need to improve in that area.
Creating effective instructors is a whole other issue.
Many people are concerned with making sure that PM is passed along authentically and genuinely and purely etc. Which I think it should. However many do not take the time to insure that those who have dedicated themselves to PM are able to pass it on effectively. The typical great practioner, terrible teacher issue.

PM me about your San shou fighting for kids. I like the idea and would like to know more.

Just a thought: Was Micahelangelo any less of an artist because he was in business (Sistine Chapel)? Just so, a PM teacher is not any less skilled becaue they are in the business of teaching PM kung fu.

Peace,

Joe Mantis

sayloc
12-07-2004, 08:50 PM
Joe mantis

I sent you some info.

let me know if want need anything else.

Have a good day.

shang wu
12-10-2004, 05:32 PM
What I have found is that the teaching is not where the hard work is, but the recruiting of new students that has always been the challenge. People seem to be busier and there are more options for folks now. As for teaching kids, women, if you are trying to make a living doing this you should be open to teaching all kinds of people. I have taught handicapped people as well, I say anyone with a real desire and a good heart makes a good student.
Yu Shan those that are always late have a discipline problem, as well as a priority one. Anyone can fall on hard times from time to time and that should always be considered, the real question is are they giving back? Giving back is more than money, but also when you have rent and the likes of school costs everyone needs to do their part

yu shan
12-12-2004, 06:38 PM
People are busier alright, doing nothing but being lazy! I`m not so sure people are busy, some are, most are not. I do understand hard times, God knows I have been thru many! I think I am taken advantage of due to my compassion for the arts and my students. There should and must be an exchange of energy. I am there for my students day in and day out. I am by no means selfish, but I expect to be payed. It is what I have always done for my training. The men we learn from sacrificed in many ways. We need to take care of our Shifu`s. Some students have given back thru doing demos and lion dance shows. I appreciate this by giving all proceeds to the lion dance team, I keep nothing. I will be taking a differant approach in 2005. I will no longer give away these treasures passed down to me. Don`t get me wrong, I am not bitter, just disappointed. Instead of Mantis boxing, maybe I shoud help this lazy self centered generation with learning respect!

yu shan
12-12-2004, 07:05 PM
I meant to say that, 90% of my students pay. The 10% are students who have been with me for quite some time, and should know better.

SaMantis

I have been introduced to a teaching structure just recently that is very unique. It makes alot of sense... and works. SaM, I hope you become a Shifu someday. Knowing where and who you have trained with in WL, and the qualities you share here, you will be a good Shifu! Go for it.

shang wu
12-12-2004, 07:31 PM
YU SHAN nothing wrong with having a good heart, one of compassion & generosity. I know you have it, and it’s not worth losing, it is a treasure. As far as those pesky no payer’s well, if it does not sit well then cut the wheat from the chafe. You will feel a lot better like a weight was lifted and you will be energized. In fact this may be the best lesson that you can give them, a wake up to the real balance and nature of relationships. And you may find that your no payer’s start making new priorities. Or not, but the air will be clean.

yu shan
12-12-2004, 08:11 PM
Thank you shang wu for the quality advice. This lesson you speak of, I have thought about for quite some time. I know some need to eat bitter.

ironfenix
12-13-2004, 10:02 PM
Back on the subject of teaching kids, I don't think kids should be restricted from learning PM, much less CMA. True you cannot run both a childrens class and an adult class the same nor would you want to. We all know our goals for adults is to pass on the art and make good tough students possibly instructors, but for kids it is totally different. Children 3-6 do not need to know how to defend themselves against guns or knives, but the discipline, respect, focus, and concentration could be invaluable traits in the future. Whats more I agree with a previous post that children who are in martial arts and hit their high teens and early twenties are phenomenal students with great basics.
There was an article in one of the MA business magazines about a guy with 400 adult students and 0 kids. He had cerebral palsy as a child and his mom enrolled him in Karate when he was 8. By the time the kid was 12 he no longer needed crutches. But he doesn't teach kids because they were mean to him in school. What about what the MA did for him? Every kid basically has their story (most not as tough as cerebral palsy) but their story non the less. If we are to be called educators then we must look for those with a desire and a need for the Martial Arts, not just those who are easy to teach. ;)

SaMantis
12-14-2004, 10:25 AM
he doesn't teach kids because they were mean to him in school. What about what the MA did for him?

Interesting anecdote. Maybe he's more afraid of how he will react to kids than how they will treat him? If he's still dealing with negativity & hurt feelings from that, maybe it's more responsible of him not to teach kids than subject them to his negative emotions. Just a thought.

yu shan, thanks for the kind words. unfortunately I also have a lot of bitter to eat before I get that far! :)

sayloc
12-14-2004, 10:41 AM
Probably a good idea that he does not teach kids.

I think adults are nastier then children though.

Pilot
12-14-2004, 12:31 PM
Making money teaching Praying Mantis

This is an urban legend. :D