PDA

View Full Version : Dec/Jan Issue

norther practitioner
11-30-2004, 04:07 PM
Big ups.. good photo shop job Gene..

I read the article on sword by what his face with Li style tai chi. That was pretty good, a little condesending in the way some things were talked about, but I can understand.

norther practitioner
11-30-2004, 04:10 PM
I'll get into more tom. I need to get too much junk done.

GeneChing
11-30-2004, 04:16 PM
You must be refering to page 67 and that was all Design Sifu's work. ;)

And BTW, this is the JAN FEB 2005, not Dec/Jan. It just comes out in Dec.

sean_stonehart
12-01-2004, 06:52 AM
Hey Gene... for us non subscribing mere mortals... when's that issue hit the stands?

Judge Pen
12-01-2004, 09:27 AM
Sean, is there something that would interest you in the upcoming issue? :D

sean_stonehart
12-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Maybe... and you too!!

norther practitioner
12-01-2004, 11:42 AM
OH, and the ads are getting nicer (and some are a bit more risque` too).. woohoo.

sorry about the month thing, I realized that once I posted it.

GeneChing
12-01-2004, 12:59 PM
Of course, as I've said so many times here, the official on stand date is soft. Tomorrow is the official date set in our publishing schedules, but there are so many variables that will push that date a week or two forward or backward.

Sean (and JP), you'll be interested in page 104. Our reporter Melissa did y'all up nicely.

And NP, thanks for noticing the ads. The graphic guys here enjoy their work ;)

Judge Pen
12-01-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
Of course, as I've said so many times here, the official on stand date is soft. Tomorrow is the official date set in our publishing schedules, but there are so many variables that will push that date a week or two forward or backward.

Sean (and JP), you'll be interested in page 104. Our reporter Melissa did y'all up nicely.

And NP, thanks for noticing the ads. The graphic guys here enjoy their work ;)

From what I heard Melissa was a nice choice to do the reporting!

norther practitioner
12-02-2004, 09:36 AM
I need to finish up the mag after tonights workout...

Nice to see the sword issue out now though.

Whats next (any hints) are you guys going to do another weapons issue, or break them up (seems the direction you'd go).

GeneChing
12-02-2004, 10:59 AM
...as I say in the Publisher's Corner, I've been wanted to do this issue for so long. It's quite experimental - I can't think anything quite like it ever published before - so I'm pretty excited about it. But it's an experiment and experiments can fail. We will decide if we do another Sword Collector's Issue depending on how this one does. So if you're into Chinese weapons, and want to see more of this, buy up those issues on the newsstand now! ;) ;)

I can't let you know what we're working on next, but I can tell you that we are changing the format of our Featured Weapons section after this issue. We will start showcasing premium authentic antique collector pieces like the pieces from Wang Sheng Ji.

norther practitioner
12-02-2004, 01:44 PM
Nice..

I'd like to see a series personally..
Staffs and Spear issue
Exotics issue (I think you've had one already though)
Weapons of the South or something like that..

not one right after the other.. maybe one or two a year or something worked into the mix. Of course you'd have to find willing contributors, which would probably be a bit hard.

sean_stonehart
12-02-2004, 08:26 PM
Southern weapons would be cool.

Give us a heads up to the work up on the issue if it rolls around.

Starchaser107
12-02-2004, 09:47 PM
pin up girls?

norther practitioner
12-03-2004, 09:39 AM
not quite chase.. pic is the same as you have btw... except meatshake in a silly ol' school arms crossed b-boy pose and sow chow are editted in.

GeneChing
12-03-2004, 10:06 AM
Yeah, if you'll remember, MS was teasing me for a while saying "Gene fears the b-boy pose" here. Now you know why. You should also mention that our dear kungfuchic is also there - she got in twice, one for her grand champion award and another for the forum. :cool:

As for doing weapons issues that are more specific, ie. southern, spears and staffs, etc. that's a fine idea, but let's see if just a sword issue works first. Remember we only do 6 issues a year, and they can't all be specials. Then they wouldn't be 'special'. Actually, there's a bit of a logisitical problem with spear and staff, since for the most part, only spearheads remain, and while there are some fine examples, they aren't nearly as coveted, and therefore adorned, as swords.

We have a lot of willing contributors - the problem is finding more willing capable contributors. ;) Sean, if you want to do something on southern weapons, that's fine, we'd enjoy looking at that. It's a really messing field, hopologically speaking. But please don't wait for an inviation to work on a special issue. Such invitations are rarely extended from us. Typically, the specials happen rather organically - we look what's in our publishing queue, and the specials sort of fall out by themselves.

Thanks for the comments and critiques, guys! This is my favorite function of the forum and helps me get as sense of what you all want to see for our direction.

norther practitioner
12-03-2004, 10:37 AM
I remember, thats why I brought it up.

:D

Thats why I'm saying space them out dude.. but whatever works ya know. I'm not going to talk about this too much more, as I think you guys do a great job. I'm just tossing out ideas that I'm sure has been passed around enough by you guys. Hopefully I'll get to the rest of the mag this weekend.

sean_stonehart
12-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Southern weapons... I'll see what I can coax out of my sifu.

Shaolinlueb
12-03-2004, 12:43 PM
page 66 has the good pics though :o

yeah that meatshake pose was nice. lol that was a good photoshop job.

Starchaser107
12-03-2004, 01:03 PM
ok , now I'm all excited and stuff

Shaolinlueb
12-03-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
ok , now I'm all excited and stuff

you should be. you'llg et your 15 minutes of fame too ;)

GeneChing
12-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Appearing in a tournament review only docks 3 seconds off your 15 minutes of fame. It's 5 seconds if your name is mentioned - it has yet to be calibrated for forum names. I'm still waiting for some tournament promoter to ask about the forum names....

Shaolinlueb
12-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Appearing in a tournament review only docks 3 seconds off your 15 minutes of fame. It's 5 seconds if your name is mentioned - it has yet to be calibrated for forum names. I'm still waiting for some tournament promoter to ask about the forum names....

then let me have my 5 SECONDS!!!!!!

norther practitioner
12-06-2004, 11:11 AM
I was wondering about that...

If some of these guys are looking at their coverage and being like Who the F@ck is norther pratitioner.:confused:

GeneChing
12-06-2004, 03:00 PM
At 4748 posts and counting, NP gets his face in the mag. After all, that's a long time to be looking at our website, so he might as well look at himself in our mag...:D

norther practitioner
12-06-2004, 03:34 PM
Hey, someone needs to keep this place flowin'

Shaolinlueb
12-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
Hey, someone needs to keep this place flowin'

that was BL wasnt it? :D

SimonM
12-12-2004, 02:23 PM
pin up girls?

Back in the day I had a Kung Fu Quigong magazine that had a pin-up of Michelle Yeoh in a black PVC cat suit from her James Bond period. So it has happened before. ;)

It is covering one of the many holes in my wall caused by doing full contact-sparring with my brother in a much-to-small space with flimsy plaster walls.

Vash
12-12-2004, 02:56 PM
I'm still a waitin' for the all-karate special.

GeneChing
12-13-2004, 10:17 AM
Glad you found a use for that poster. We used to do posters regularly both in our present publication (http://www.martialartsmart.net/mag.html) and World of Martial Arts (http://www.martialartsmart.net/wmamagazine07.html) (where we once covered karate :rolleyes: ) but that was back when we were a smaller magazine and saddle-stitched. Now we're 'perfect bound' which is more like how books are bound. Saddle-stitched means that the pages are stapled on top of each other, like horse and saddle, which makes a center poster more feasible. Perfect binding has a spine and it's a combo of several smaller books bound into a big book, so the concept of a pull-out poster is much more difficult (and costly) to achieve. You'll just have to patch your wall holes with back issues for now, I'm afraid...

SimonM
12-16-2004, 09:11 PM
Flags and university poster sales also work well. ;):D

GeneChing
12-17-2004, 10:45 AM
...so does not knocking holes in the walls in the first place. ;) But back OT, I'm a big supported of the concept of kung fu pin ups, as long as they're done respectfully. Didn't IKF just do a profiles calendar? What did y'all think of that? Respectful?

Gotta send respect out to the ladies in the martial arts. :cool:

Starchaser107
12-17-2004, 11:15 AM
Well, back in the day you guys seemed to be playing with that idea too. but it didn't go very far.
I think there was a michelle Kwan, and a few others.
My feeling on the matter is that maybe it wasn't risque enough. but that might pose a serious problem if the people in charge want the magazine to be taken seriously.
How about an offshoot magazine , that appeals to the younger kung fu practioners and aspirants. And not such a refined mature audience. I don't know how viable such an idea might be,
But i'm feeling maybe a more popular approach to the mag.

Pop Culture as it relates to martial arts.

Movie reviews
Star interviews
product marketing geared towards teens
Pin up girls (tastefully risque)
more focus on a very Active wushu scene.
In that regard the spotlight can be on up and coming stars , who probably would love the exposure and the chance to be recognized on a broader scale.

GeneChing
12-17-2004, 02:38 PM
...back in the day nothing. We're still playing with the idea. Like I said, I support kung fu pin ups. In fact, if you check out our upcoming issue, Mar Apr 2005, in the beginning of Feb, you'll see the great lengths that I personally go to, just to keep some pretty women in our magazine. You'll like it, Starchaser107, it features your girl Lianne. ;)

I'm really tempted to say that if we did a magazine like you describe, we'd be IKF, but I'm not going to do so. That would be unprofessional. ;)

Starchaser107
12-17-2004, 03:18 PM
lol,
k.

SimonM
12-18-2004, 02:17 PM
I almost bought IKF yesterday. I made it as far as the cover and then realized that more articles appeared to be about hollywood actors than about Kung Fu. As this was the second time I had seen this happen this year (unless Halle Berry became a martial artist sometime and I didn't know ;) ) I think I may just give up on it. When I buy Kung Fu magazines, I want them to be abou Kung Fu; that is why I so constantly praise the quality of your magazine Gene.

norther practitioner
12-19-2004, 05:51 PM
Well, back in the day you guys seemed to be playing with that idea too. but it didn't go very far.
I think there was a michelle Kwan, and a few others.
My feeling on the matter is that maybe it wasn't risque enough. but that might pose a serious problem if the people in charge want the magazine to be taken seriously.
How about an offshoot magazine , that appeals to the younger kung fu practioners and aspirants. And not such a refined mature audience. I don't know how viable such an idea might be,
But i'm feeling maybe a more popular approach to the mag.

Pop Culture as it relates to martial arts.

Movie reviews
Star interviews
product marketing geared towards teens
Pin up girls (tastefully risque)
more focus on a very Active wushu scene.
In that regard the spotlight can be on up and coming stars , who probably would love the exposure and the chance to be recognized on a broader scale.

Maxim, FHM, etc. meets kung fu.. too bad it wouldn't sell.

GeneChing
12-20-2004, 11:52 AM
If you have models like FHM, you don't need anything more. The Kung Fu would be superfluous.

Thanks for your kind words SimonM - we've intentionally moved most all of our film coverage to our e-zine (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/index.php) Given that our magazine is bimonthly, it's hard to time out a cover to hit the newsstands right when a movie hits. Both BB and IKF are based in southern CA, closer to Hollywood, so they have greater access. Don't get me wrong - I think that covering what's happening in popular media is extremely important for CMA. Movies, comics, plays, music, any overlap is exciting. But it wasn't fitting our magazine as well as it was fitting our e-zine. We've been getting our movie reviews up just before the US premiere quite regularly - and it's free access, so please forward the reviews to your friends. It helps us increase our traffic, and that's always good because it allows us to do more things.

Lianne_Lin
01-09-2005, 01:38 AM
i can't wait until the new issue comes out!!!

anxiously waiting!

norther practitioner
01-10-2005, 09:47 AM
If you're this excited.. I guess we should all be excited.

Starchaser107
01-10-2005, 12:04 PM
this is all so very exciting

GeneChing
01-10-2005, 01:22 PM
Not to be too much of a tease, but you'll get to see Lianne kick the ass of one of our crew. In fact, it will be either me or Design Sifu. You can guess who got the priviledge, or just subscribe now (http://store.martialartsmart.net/19341.html) and know in a few weeks...

Shaolinlueb
01-18-2005, 09:00 PM
Not to be too much of a tease, but you'll get to see Lianne kick the ass of one of our crew. In fact, it will be either me or Design Sifu. You can guess who got the priviledge, or just subscribe now (http://store.martialartsmart.net/19341.html) and know in a few weeks...

I subscribed :D cant wait.

GeneChing
01-19-2005, 10:15 AM
We're expecting our shipment for the next issue any day now. Subscriptions will be shipped as soon as it arrives.

Shaolinlueb
01-19-2005, 12:08 PM
We're expecting our shipment for the next issue any day now. Subscriptions will be shipped as soon as it arrives.

wait, why should we be excited? othern then its the new issue? :o :D ;)

wait. are there more pictures of me in there? :o :p

GeneChing
01-19-2005, 12:49 PM
Hate to break it to ya, bud, but the boys would rather see pics of Lianne than Shaolinlueb...

Shaolinlueb
01-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Hate to break it to ya, bud, but the boys would rather see pics of Lianne than Shaolinlueb...

oh well, i guess i can see the reasoning in that. :D

Lianne_Lin
01-31-2005, 12:20 PM
hey guys.... gene told me to post this link to my xanga. visit it if you get a chance! one of the entries is about my shoot with Kung Fu Mag.

http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=Lianne_Lin

Judge Pen
01-31-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks Lianne. I've signed up now! Good luck on the move.