PDA

View Full Version : How much cardio???

manofkent
12-01-2004, 07:08 AM
Ive been studying many diffrent types of Martial arts for the last 11yrs. Ive decided that the next step for my body/martial arts is to start focusing on strength to improve power. As much as us martial artists hate to admit, power does come from strength, as well as grounding and speed and a few other twitches which we could all go on and on about for ages.

But anyway... Ive been trying to find a workout which will help me improve strength rapidly (as this is my primary focus) but at the same time, I do not want to put on fat from the diet required, and want to keep up the cardio work.

Ive been told that after 20mins of intensive cardio your body starts to burn up muscle as an energy source. Which is not good.

So to keep my heart rate up and stay fit i need to be doing, middle weights, 8reps, 3-4 sets with short rests. But to build strength, I need to lift heavy weights 8reps 2-3 sets with longer rests.

There is no middle ground as if i try both I find that i gain very little. Do i just have to choose which is more important and shut up! , or can anybody help me out.

Oso
12-01-2004, 08:50 AM
check this site out.

www.trainforstrength.com

it's been talked about a lot lately.

I l like it a lot and feel it definitely targets strength needed for martial arts.

Chief Fox
12-01-2004, 09:06 AM
trainforstrength.com is a good one and another is CROSSFIT.com.

CROSSFIT offers up more variety in short explosive strength workouts that boost your cardio. They have a free Workout of the day posted everyday.

IronFist
12-01-2004, 09:45 AM
What is cardio?

manofkent
12-01-2004, 12:40 PM
Thanks, just had a quick look and it seems very helpfull.

Cheers

Toby
12-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Lots of us do HIIT. You'll find it on the trainforstrength site, by searching this site, by searching for "Taku's intervals" or by searching for "Tabata protocol". This is what you want. Do it in conjunction with your weights program. Exercise choice is up to you. I row, some run (I used to), some use machines (bikes, elliptical, etc).

Vash
12-01-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Toby
"Tabata protocol

mother****in **** ass-raping vomit-inducing rip your stomach out tenderize it with a sandblaster then shove it the **** in your ear and down your ****in throat back into your viscera then vomit up your tongue then wipe your ass with it then shove it through a whole in your chest so you can taste your **** **** **** ***** **** then move on to the next station then mother****in **** ass-raping vomit-inducing rip your stomach out and tenderize it with a sandblaster then shove it the **** in your ear and down your ****in throat back into your viscera then vomit up your tongue then wipe your ass with it then shove it through a whole in your chest so you can taste your **** **** **** ***** **** again then die cuz it was so hard workout.

It's great. Four Stars, all the way.

Toby
12-01-2004, 07:43 PM
:D

I love it too. Takes such a short time, yet is so hard. With my rowing, I can say that (this afternoon) I won't do more than 140 money strokes. Closer to 130. That's not so much, right? I even get to rest every 13/14. It's gunna ****ing kill me, though. I'll row about 3500m including warmup/cooldown. About 1100-1200m during the intervals.

Vash
12-01-2004, 07:56 PM
Bah. Alternating-arm dumbbell swings and pull-and-catches is where it's at.

Toby
12-01-2004, 08:02 PM
Using legs gets my heart going a bit better.

manofkent
12-01-2004, 11:51 PM
Just bin on the train for strength site.

They've got to be kidding about those clubbells!!!!!!!

$160 for two!!!!! Its just a heavy stick!!!!

Ive got some dumbells i use as hammers, with a 5k weight just on one end. They cost about £6 each or $9.

But i'll sell them for $100 a pair for anyone thats interested!!!!!

Toby
12-02-2004, 12:03 AM
I don't think they're his. He's reselling them for Scott Sonnon.

manofkent
12-02-2004, 04:04 AM
Dont matter who's selling them for who! Its a waste of money. as worst fill a bottle with sand!!!!! $160 for a pair of heavy sticks is F**king out of order!!!! Just think of the people that are easily influenced and could have spent that money on something usefull!!!!

I found the Crossfit websit very usefull, and gave me some good ideas for an alternating 3day on - 1day off program.

At the moment im just doing Upperbody one day, lower and core another day, and resting on the third. Doing a 20min run and 20min swim after the weights.

Ive desided to try doing more gymnasic muscle building techniques. my gym does not have a chin up bar, does anyone know what other exersises i could to to compensate???

Toby
12-02-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by manofkent
Just think of the people that are easily influenced and could have spent that money on something usefull!!!!Hopefully people would do their research and decide whether they wanted those particular clubbells or other training devices. E.g. I ride a bike that retails for AUD$2200. I got it on sale for half that, but I could be riding a $100 bike. Or a $10000 bike. The $2200 bike had everything I wanted at the time, and I'm happy with it. I use it a lot (every day), so I consider it worth it.

Originally posted by manofkent
Ive desided to try doing more gymnasic muscle building techniques. my gym does not have a chin up bar, does anyone know what other exersises i could to to compensate??? Climb a rope.