PDA

View Full Version : X-mas gift for your Sifu

brody
12-01-2004, 10:23 AM
Does anyone know of a proper gift to give their Sifu for X-mas? Is there proper Chinese etiquette or Teacher/Student etiquette?

MasterKiller
12-01-2004, 10:33 AM
Last year we bought him this for the school. (http://store.martialartsmart.net/95-009.html)

The year before we bought him a long-weapons rack.

By 'we,' I mean the senior students pitched in on the presents.

brody
12-01-2004, 10:38 AM
Thanks Master Killer.

We've done something similar in the past, but how about on a personal level? I was thinking of a nice bottle of wine or whisky, but didn't know if it were appropriate with Chinese etiquette. Any other suggestions?

Ray Pina
12-01-2004, 11:53 AM
I bought like a master encyclopedia of Japanese swords that went way back, goes into detail ect. it was quite thick, went for about $75.

My master loves swords and even I, someone who doesn't know much abou the subject, fell for the book. I hope he liked it.

I was just thinking last night -- after my master showed me an excersice that "popped" my back after I told him its been bothering me (some real Karate Kid $hit) as well as some new applications to some older basics -- that I really owe this man a lot. I wish I had more to share with him. Hopefully as I get older I can return his good will.

Shaolinlueb
12-01-2004, 12:19 PM
my sifu like blimpies vegi mix's so i think i will buy him a bunch of gift certificates for there :D. or some paper towel holders for the bathrooms of the new school. :D

Ming Yue
12-01-2004, 01:19 PM
Isn't cash in a red envelope a traditional gift?

GeneChing
12-01-2004, 01:29 PM
Sure, red envelopes are great, but save it for Chinese New Year.
I once went to great lengths to get gifts for my Sifu. I acquired an antique sword once. I also got an out-of-print copy of a great weapon dictionary. I don't think he really appreciated the trouble I went through for either gift, but I felt it was important.

The real question is what kind of gift to get for your moderators here...

Mutant
12-01-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Ming Yue
Isn't cash in a red envelope a traditional gift?

Yeah, but thats usually for Chinese New Year.

As a gift, take your sifu out to a strip club, he (or she) will be psyched. Kung fu masters love strippers. Its true.

Shaolinlueb
12-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
The real question is what kind of gift to get for your moderators here...

nacho sauce of course. to keep those ninja babes willing to die for you ;)

Oso
12-01-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by MutantWarrior
Yeah, but thats usually for Chinese New Year.

As a gift, take your sifu out to a strip club, he (or she) will be psyched. Kung fu masters love strippers. Its true.

indeed.

Fen
12-01-2004, 02:15 PM
I would see what your Sifu like to do, other then Kung Fu. Get him something to do with that. Or you could get him and his wife a weekend get away some where close to home, but not to close thou...lol!! This way they get a brake..

~Jason :)

brody
12-02-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by MutantWarrior

Funny you suggest that. My Sifu is a dirty old man :-)

David Jamieson
12-02-2004, 10:45 AM
why not just blow him and get it over with? :rolleyes:

lol at rampant need to supplicate in martial arts. I did it too and am glad I don't anymore. lol.

MasterKiller
12-02-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
why not just blow him and get it over with? :rolleyes:

lol at rampant need to supplicate in martial arts. I did it too and am glad I don't anymore. lol. Leave a bad taste in your mouth?

David Jamieson
12-02-2004, 10:52 AM
yeah, salty. :p

there's too much kowtowing and asskissing in martial arts and too many sifus and senseis ready to accept it for whatever reasons.

Too many people with amaster fixation which in turn ultimately impedes their path to kungfu.

just saying...

Chang Style Novice
12-02-2004, 03:00 PM
Apparently very high quality swordcane (http://www.mwart.com/xq/ASP/pid.1028/cat.131/qx/product.htm)