PDA

View Full Version : Unfamiliar WC stance

Anarcho
09-09-2001, 02:41 AM
I saw some Wing Chun guys in action recently who used a stance that's very different from what I'm familiar with. I realise that the various lineages have different ways of doing things as far as stances, weight distribution, etc, so this may be the most common thing in the world for the rest of you...Anyway, these guys had their feet positioned as though they'd stopped half way through a T-Step...Front foot pointing forward, rear foot a little under shoulder's width behind pointing out at a 90 degree angle to the front foot. 100% weight on the back foot.

Watching them fight, they had obviously polished up their lead leg front kicks, and they flicked them out very quickly from a defensive position. That was a clear advantage of their stance. However, they looked a little slow coming forward - or rather, they seemed to have to choose between moving forward relatively slowly or losing their structure somewhat when coming forward. Also, they seemed a little more prone to being caught up when they faced forward pressure that they didn't have the strength to handle...

All in all, their defensive fighting tended to be better than their offensive moves.

Anyway, it was interesting to see. I'd like to hear whether the guys who use this stance agree with my assessment of its advantages/disadvantages.

whippinghand
09-11-2001, 10:19 PM
It sounds like a cat stance to me... Very useful at times.