PDA

View Full Version : Bung Bo 2 man set (Video)

WhiteMonkey
12-01-2004, 01:57 PM
Clip1 (http://www.kung-fu-stuttgart.de/Training/Aussere_Stile/Tier-Kung_Fu/Tang_Lang/Tang_Lang_mit_Partner/video_tang_lang_1-8.html)

Clip2 (http://www.kung-fu-stuttgart.de/Training/Aussere_Stile/Tier-Kung_Fu/Tang_Lang/Tang_Lang_mit_Partner/video_tang_lang_9-25.html)

Very different to the way we play ours, comments?

They also have some other clips and photos, can anyone provide more info I cant read it, I only read english.

Also I didn't know if I should post it in the Video Clip Section
if it belongs there mod just move it.

Mike

Hua Lin Laoshi
12-01-2004, 02:46 PM
Cool, but what's the little dance in the second clip (I assume he's also playing a second attacker)? Do you do that in yours?

Who created all these ling sides?

GermanMantis
12-01-2004, 03:14 PM
I can translate, but i suspect it`s not worth it. Sorry. Yes nice dancing and hopping in the second clip.
Have you taken a look on there curriculum?

Look here. (http://www.kung-fu-stuttgart.de/Training/Prufungsinhalte/prufungsinhalte.html)

Some word for the "non-german"-speakers.

"Prüfungsinhalt(e)" = Element(s) of Testing (or Exam)
"Schülergrad" = Rank of Student
"Wurftechnik" = Throwingtechnique
"Anwendung" = Application
"Faust" = Fist
"Waffe" = "Weapon"
"Stock" = Staff
"Stil" = Style

Hey, you learned you first german words
;)

18elders
12-01-2004, 04:32 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm???
Different from ours, not sure they understand some of the techniques from the way they executed them.

Hua lin:
The dance in the second video

don't do it that way, instead of the dance we would be taking the other guys head off( still a single attacker)

The waist chop near the end of the second row was bad and also don't like the end of second row the way he blocks the last round house kick.

First video: beginning a bit different, missing a block, also other moves different and missing

Also lacks intensity

bung bo
12-02-2004, 11:44 AM
Well, that wasn't TOTALLY retarded, but it was bad. They moved fluidly (sort of), and that was the only good part. They didn't look like they were trying to hit each other. Where's the intensity? The little dance was weird.

tanglang69
12-02-2004, 11:59 AM
When I was up in nashville training with Yu shan, they showed me our 2 man bung bo. Just gotta say I was impressed. Answered alot of questions and opened my eyes to alot of the applications I didn't see within the form.

Thanks guys.

oved

Hua Lin Laoshi
12-03-2004, 07:12 AM
18elders
I think I know what you mean (John demonstrated that during a previous discussion).

I haven't seen many training videos but I have seen the ling side kind of walk around and pick up again on the other side (the horrible green outfit mantis guy vcd). I realize some of this stuff is valid against multiple attackers but I can't help getting the feeling that it's an easy way out. You don't fight multiple attackers sequentially as you see in some partner sets. If it's a multi attacker set then use more than one opponent.

Hey, that brings me to a question. Guess I'll start a new thread instead of hijacking this one. :)

BTW, something that fuels the argument against partner sets is seen here. Blocking well before the attack (it helps when you know what the other guy is going to do). Also, I see what I call 'attacking the block' (not actually trying to hit the target). Watch the second of the two back-to-back roundhouse kicks.

Obviously they've put a lot of practice into it which is why it's so smooth. It looks good but does not equate to fighting. Unfortunately people expect to see you fight like this and it's pretty much impossible without a cooperative partner.

-N-
12-03-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Hua Lin Laoshi
I haven't seen many training videos but I have seen the ling side kind of walk around and pick up again on the other side (the horrible green outfit mantis guy vcd). We do that section with a fast jump turn very close to the other person, and we hit while in mid-air. It is for escape and direction change on the attacker side.

Originally posted by Hua Lin Laoshi
BTW, something that fuels the argument against partner sets is seen here. Blocking well before the attack (it helps when you know what the other guy is going to do). We do our partner sets at a much closer distance... also with tighter timing, more speed, and more power.

N.

bung bo
12-03-2004, 05:23 PM
-N-, good deal. That's the good way to do partnered sets.

Hua Lin--Your last paragraph hit the nail on the head for me. Yeah, it looks smooth, but too passive.

yu shan
12-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Yep, I think this would have been better off on the video clip thread, but thanks anyway WhiteMonkey for sharing this.

I agree with -N- and 18, all good points. This is very differant from the way we play this form. I am glad these men have something, it is better than nothing. But it does make me feel real good about the way I`m learning my Mantis. Yes you can imagine this learnt "blocking before the attack" and knowing what is coming up next... We execute our partnered forms with high intensity. My Shifu crashes thru the block whether you have it standing by ready or just getting it up in time. But isn`t this a characteristic of the Mantis? (crashing thru) Besides, training two-man forms with my Shifu, he usually ends it some where along the way. Whether with a punch thru my face or sweep or kick or deng ta. I feel good with myself if I can finish the whole two-person BengBu form with my Shifu without being taken out. Call it what you want, I`m proud that our lineage has this aggressiveness and intensity. There are some folks here that just have no idea, yet I am humbled by the likes of many many well seasoned pugilist here. Oh one more thing, about this two-person forms stuff. Plain and simple I just dig it, it is a great work out. It teaches me alot about the form, gets me in shape, conditions, and brings me close with my students and KF brothers.

Hua Lin Laoshi
12-04-2004, 08:23 AM
yu shan put it in perspective with this:
"I feel good with myself if I can finish the whole two-person BengBu form with my Shifu without being taken out."

It's not so much what you do but how you do it. If you're letting your partner block for the sake of completing the routine you're doing him a diservice. Once you know the routine (and NOT before) you need to lean on the other guy if you really want to help him improve.

I hate it when I tell someone to hit me and they don't really try.

Oso
12-06-2004, 09:25 AM
I hate it when I tell someone to hit me and they don't really try.

LOL, was working with a student on our black tiger drill that was posted a while ago...he's just learning it so wasn't being to aggressive and I took his hand and placed it right on my eyebrow and said "see, bring your attack all the way in...try to put that knuckle right in my eye"

5 seconds later, I had a black eye.

:D

the rest of my PL brethren hath spoken truth enough on our 2 person.

WhiteMonkey
12-06-2004, 11:47 AM
I didn't like the 3rd move it's like it was not there, also in the dance, buddy just sits there with a blank look on his face waiting for the other guy to come around his back, pretty funny if you ask me.

Ours is played very different.

Oso do you always post on threads started my trolls?

Mike

Oso
12-06-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by WhiteMonkey
I didn't like the 3rd move it's like it was not there, also in the dance, buddy just sits there with a blank look on his face waiting for the other guy to come around his back, pretty funny if you ask me.

Ours is played very different.

Oso do you always post on threads started my trolls?

Mike

i'm assuming you mean '...by trolls?'

and no...and this thread isn't ostensibly a troll like your other one was.

back to the topic....

did anyone look to see if they had a clip of their solo bung bu?

maybe they just play the 2 person like that.

GM, do you know who they are?

GermanMantis
12-06-2004, 03:33 PM
Hi Oso,

i can't find the solo Bang Bo as clip, just some pics can be found here. (http://www.kung-fu-stuttgart.de/Training/Aussere_Stile/Tier-Kung_Fu/Tang_Lang/Bilder_Tang_Lang/bilder_tang_lang.html)

No, i don`t know them, nor have them ever met. On there "Teacher" page i found some short infos, he (Michael Lieve) started in 1984 und his first Teacher Hwang Ching Zeng from Taiwan. It seems that he focused on modern wushu since 1989, but i'm not sure.

A look on their curriculum reveals, that the teach first (yellow, orange, green sash) Tan Tui and then Firstform 1st Style at blue sash and applications at brown sash and fistform 2nd style at black belt. Staff Basics at orange and Staff form at blue (!!), second weapon at brown belt.

Hope that makes things clearer ;)
Best regards,
GM

Oso
12-07-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by GermanMantis
Hi Oso,

i can't find the solo Bang Bo as clip, just some pics can be found here. (http://www.kung-fu-stuttgart.de/Training/Aussere_Stile/Tier-Kung_Fu/Tang_Lang/Bilder_Tang_Lang/bilder_tang_lang.html)

No, i don`t know them, nor have them ever met. On there "Teacher" page i found some short infos, he (Michael Lieve) started in 1984 und his first Teacher Hwang Ching Zeng from Taiwan. It seems that he focused on modern wushu since 1989, but i'm not sure.

A look on their curriculum reveals, that the teach first (yellow, orange, green sash) Tan Tui and then Firstform 1st Style at blue sash and applications at brown sash and fistform 2nd style at black belt. Staff Basics at orange and Staff form at blue (!!), second weapon at brown belt.

Hope that makes things clearer ;)
Best regards,
GM

hmmm, indeed. that's not a lot of info to be a black sash, imo.

oh well, thanks.

bung bo
12-07-2004, 05:06 PM
More black eyes, Oso?;)