PDA

View Full Version : OT: Torn Meniscus

MonkeySlap Too
12-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Okay, going to doctor next week. What can I expect in regards to surgury/recovery time?

I figure half the people on this board have had this injury...

SevenStar
12-02-2004, 11:46 AM
Mine has been strained, but not torn...

Shaolinlueb
12-02-2004, 12:28 PM
im no doctor. but get it removed,or whatever they do. rest it according to the doctor and work yourself back into training.

FuXnDajenariht
12-02-2004, 12:34 PM
ooooh, i thot it said Tom Meniscus. i dont know who that is but im still disappointed... :o

Judge Pen
12-02-2004, 12:56 PM
It depends if they are going to remove or repair it. If they remove it your recovery time will be much faster, but you will have less cartlidge in your knee and that can limit you activities and range of motion. If they repair it, and it takes, the cartlidge will heal and you should not lose any shock absorption or range of motion, but the recovery time will be longer.

They repaired my meniscus when they reconstructed my ACL on November 5. I'm still in a straight leg brace because I can't put any weight on the leg while it's bent for fear of re-tearing the repaired meniscus.

Good luck man. The surgery for a meniscus isn't bad. A couple of 1/4 inch holes around your knee. Two stitches.

norther practitioner
12-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Good luck, I've not gotten surgery for my knee problems (I'm actually going to the doctor soon for one from June).

Royal Dragon
12-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Theresa was out for months before she got full pain free use of her knee again.

Of course she cheated her therapy..................

Stranger
12-02-2004, 04:05 PM
Good luck with a full recovery.

How did you do it?

Did it hurt bad, ache dully, or just feel odd? (I have no idea what this injury is like)

rogue
12-02-2004, 06:23 PM
I thought it was Tom Meniscus also. :o

Sevenstar wrote:
Mine has been strained, but not torn...
7*'s vanishing street cred takes another hit.:D

jun_erh
12-02-2004, 06:35 PM
I used to train with Tom Meniscus back in like '83. Karate. He does liu hu fe ha be now. best in the whole world

rogue
12-02-2004, 06:55 PM
I heard that Tom was Bruce Lee's first choice for the big fight in Return of the Dragon. Bruce had to go with Norris when Meniscus wouldn't take a fall in the fight.

MonkeySlap Too
12-02-2004, 08:21 PM
Ah Tom's a puss. (Best Sinatra Voice) I've got chunks of fighters like him in my stool.

diego
12-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by FuXnDajenariht
ooooh, i thot it said Tom Meniscus. i dont know who that is but im still disappointed... :o

lol me to...but i need glasses so i'm glad it's not just my eyes...stupid:)

ShaolinTiger00
12-02-2004, 10:27 PM
Tore my lateral meniscus in June. had surgery to remove the torn piece as besides from being very painful the flap would actually cause my joint to lock!

Surgery in early July. walked around without crutches about 2 days later.

Went thru a very aggressive rehabilitation of closed chain excersises, and was back on the mat 3 weeks later. albeit it very painful and slow going to start.

now 5 months later I'm able to do just about everything.. but MUST stretch out the knee thouroughly and ice it down after every practice or I'll be feeling it for days.

still not 100% and I don't know if it ever will be, but I hear catilidge takes a very long time to heal.

Mutant
12-03-2004, 08:13 AM
My wife shattered her meniscus around 6 years ago (before i knew her), went thru major surgeries, had major scarring inside the knee. She couldnt move it for around a year then worked it back into shape over time. Now although she has half a knee-cap and was told she might never run again, she runs and does san shou about 5 days a week and even fought full-contact san da in the ring last spring. I don't know how that compares to whats wrong w/ your meniscus, but you should be able to come back full-force after surgery no matter what they tell you.

MonkeySlap Too
12-03-2004, 10:41 AM
It took me a month to realize it wasn't getting better by itself. Everone kept telling me the pan was unbeleivable... but i didn't feel anything unbeleivable. Only after I made a comparison to 'as intense as a broken bone, buut comes and goes, and feels like burning' did I go down the road to figure it out.

A high pain tolerance can work against you sometimes.