PDA

View Full Version : WSL article (interesting read)

Phil Redmond
12-02-2004, 12:49 PM
The name Chang is Mandarin for Cheung. ;)
http://www.wongvingtsun.co.uk/wslbl.htm
Phil

Ultimatewingchun
12-02-2004, 01:18 PM
Great stuff, Phil.

Where was this article (written by WSL) taken from? Where did you get it?

Phil Redmond
12-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Ultimatewingchun
Great stuff, Phil.

Where was this article (written by WSL) taken from? Where did you get it?
Someone sent it to me. I'd presume that the website would be;
http://www.wongvingtsun.co.uk.
Phil

Phil Redmond
12-02-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Phil Redmond
Someone sent it to me. I'd presume that the website would be;
http://www.wongvingtsun.co.uk.
Phil I just tried it and it doesn't work. I can email you a .pdf file of it if you'd like.
Phil

Ultimatewingchun
12-02-2004, 01:48 PM
I'd like that.

David Peterson
12-02-2004, 02:35 PM
This particular article appeared in a magazine published in Hong Kong in the mid 70s, entitled “My Reminiscences of Bruce Lee” and was attributed to Wong Shun Leung himself. Interestingly, while containing several photographs taken with Sifu and an actor portraying Bruce Lee at his then training hall in Hong Kong during the shooting of the film “Bruce’s Iron Fingers” and containing many of the anecdotes and quotes that Sifu repeated on many occasions over the years, Sifu always maintained that he had not actually written it, but that it had been manufactured from a series of interviews that he had done with the people behind the magazine series of which this was one volume. Sifu also stated that he had never given his permission for the magazine to be published, nor had he ever been paid for his time or the use of his name and likeness.
DMP

PaulH
12-02-2004, 02:44 PM
David,

Your memory bank is remarkable and you're a very good listener. Thanks for the tidbit! =)

Phil Redmond
12-02-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by David Peterson
This particular article appeared in a magazine published in Hong Kong in the mid 70s, entitled “My Reminiscences of Bruce Lee” and was attributed to Wong Shun Leung himself. Interestingly, while containing several photographs taken with Sifu and an actor portraying Bruce Lee at his then training hall in Hong Kong during the shooting of the film “Bruce’s Iron Fingers” and containing many of the anecdotes and quotes that Sifu repeated on many occasions over the years, Sifu always maintained that he had not actually written it, but that it had been manufactured from a series of interviews that he had done with the people behind the magazine series of which this was one volume. Sifu also stated that he had never given his permission for the magazine to be published, nor had he ever been paid for his time or the use of his name and likeness.
DMP
David, Thanks for the info. I thought I'd seen parts of this article somewhere else.
Phil

Ultimatewingchun
12-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the input, David.

So we can assume that he actually said all these things - but just never gave his permission for their publication...is that correct?

David Peterson
12-02-2004, 05:04 PM
Sifu did complete a series of articles for the long-defunct Hong Kong magazine, 'Secrets of Kung Fu' about the time he spent with the young Bruce Lee in the 50s, and much of what eneded up in the article/book cited here has been drawn from those articles. I do not wish to cause any unnecessary arguments here, so I will say that on the whole, most of what is quoted as Sifu's opinions or comments in this article are things that I can attest to having heard him say both privately and publically concerning his memories of the young Lee prior to his departure for the USA.
DMP