PDA

View Full Version : Qi stronger at night?

bung bo
12-03-2004, 07:01 PM
When I do qigong and/or taiji at night (6-10pm) I can feel the qi really pumping as opposed to when I practice in the morning. Also, I can relax more at night. I was hypothesyzing that this was because I've been up longer and more fully awake. Why is this?

Broken One
12-04-2004, 08:02 PM
thats my experience too. always at night i feel the energy rushing through my body whenever i go through forms. i also seem to be more focused. i remember reading an article with an explanation to this but i cannot remember where i found it sorry.

FuXnDajenariht
12-06-2004, 03:01 AM
maybe your body is more relaxed and sensitive in preparation for sleep?

PangQuan
12-07-2004, 03:37 PM
Perhaps it is the rising of Yin energy, making it easy to use the remaining Yang of the day. Of course I'm sure there are many, many, many things that would contribute to this sensation of more energy.

TaiChiBob
12-08-2004, 06:27 AM
Greetings..

Even though you may physically be tired, your energy system is reved-up from the day's activities.. as the physical body tires and begins to prepare for sleep the Qi that supported it all day lags behind in its slowdown.. the reduced physical activity heightens the awareness of still active Qi.. there is about a 1/2 to 1 hour lag time between physical "down-shifting" and Qi down-shifting.. which accounts for the seemingly enhanced Qi factor at night.. it's a bit more complex than that, but it is a good basic explanation..

Be well..

bung bo
12-09-2004, 09:09 AM
Thanks TCB. It seemed all of us were in the dark on that one.

Repulsive Monkey
12-10-2004, 07:38 AM
It could also be that you are Yin deficient as this will give the illussion of latent energy in the evenings due to the yang not supporting it during the day.
The nightime i.e. the Yin part of the day is meant for recooperation and rest.
If you have a yang excess condition this can eat into the Yin part of the day and carry on for a while into the yin part i.e. the evening.
Whoever the Taoists of old always used to say eat when hungry, sleep when tired.

mickey
12-31-2004, 06:03 PM
Greetings,

bung bo, I am sorry I did not catch your thread sooner. Great topic.

I remember being told that the best times to practice were before sunrise and after sunset. This was long after I found that out myself. The reason that I was given was of increased dust, i.e. pollution during the day made it difficult to really inhale good quality air. The "quality air" part did ring true with me. The chi (air) is better for me during those times.

I also remember an IKF article by one WuTan master (Kurt Wong, I think) in Alaska that also spoke about the calligraphy poem that was presented to the master by his own Sifu, Liu Yun Chiao, that referenced the evening practice of martial arts by warriors of old; I think the poem mentioned playing the spear in the cold of night (also a referece to Alaska).

mickey

One more thing: There are also decreased levels of electromagnetic energy flowing around during those times.