PDA

View Full Version : Stop trading blows and insults

Sihing73
09-11-2001, 01:25 PM
Hello,

Once again I find myself asking that everyone cease trading insults and slights directed at one another. Discuss the art and not the artist. If you can't do that then please post elsewhere. Some of these threads are degenerating into people, in many cases only a few, going back and forth trading slights and snide comments. This serves no purpose. While all of us may not agree, we are certainly able, or should be able, to discuss things with falling to the level of insulting those simply because they do something different or we don't agree.

There is too much strife in the world already to add more or keep senselss bickering going. I appeal to each and every one of you to put aside your personal differences and concentrate on the discussion in a edifying manner of the art which we are supposed to practice and which some love.

If people are unable to put aside their snide remarks then I will begin deleting and editing posts which contain such comments. Although, I would much rather prefer that everyone take the higher road and act responsibly themselves. I am confident that all can act accordingly and I ask that you think it through and act accordingly.

Thank you.

Peace,

Dave

MixedMartialArtist
09-11-2001, 04:51 PM
I appreciate your attempt to keep some semblance of sanity in this forum.
I honestly appreciate it.

HuangKaiVun
09-11-2001, 04:58 PM
Sihing73, please shut Ralek up on the main board.

The video games have gotten to him. THAT's a snide remark.

Sihing73
09-11-2001, 05:31 PM
Hello HuangKaiVun,

I am kept busy enough here and with life in general to worry too much about the other boards. Besides, they have their own moderators who are doing as they see fit. I would not want to impose my views on them. Even here, I try to respect the wishes of others and usually go with the majority. I feel this board has improved a bit over the last few months and posted this as a reminder to keep things away from personal differences. I myself do not agree with everything posted here but that does not give me the right to institute a personal atack against others. Most of us are adult enough to be able to discuss things without resorting to name calling and the like.

I feel, that we as the next generation of Wing Chun have a tremendous opportunity to cross differences in lineage and technqiue/application. To truly unite as a system and become the stronger for it. At least this is my hope for the future ;) Rational communication is a good place to start, IMHO.

Peace,

Dave

whippinghand
09-11-2001, 10:10 PM
Wasin me.

Sihing73
09-11-2001, 10:20 PM
Hello,

No it is not only you who brings joy to my life :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I am sure we can all agree that once we get past the personal differences everyone has something to share. Even if we don't agree it could allow us to view things in a new perspective.

Everyone will do Wing Chun a little differently. The key is in understanding how to make the system work for you and your needs.

IMHO, the Internet allows us the chance to expand our understanding of the system. Not about who is right or wrong but in opening our eyes to the possibilities.

Peace,

Dave

HuangKaiVun
09-12-2001, 03:43 AM
I shouldn't say anything.

The main forum is being kept squeaky clean - the way it should be.

Thank you, Sihing73, for reminding us to act like true kung fu men.

lotus kick
09-12-2001, 04:39 AM
Sihing73, i want to apoligize for my remark on the "best three sifu" forme. The three sifu you listed are good.

There is an another sifu here in toronto also named augusting. I think his last name is nueg. Anyway, this so call sifu is such a jack ass, that i have almost lost all respect to everyone named augusting. Sifu Augusting FONG is a good sifu.

whippinghand
09-12-2001, 05:41 AM
Do you mean Augustine Ngu? The sifu at "All Masters Martial Arts"?

Sihing73
09-12-2001, 12:20 PM
Hello,

Lotus Kick,

There is not need for saying your sorry about anything posted. My only request is to try and keep individual people out of things. Each of us is different with differing views of what is right and wrong. Just as some may agree that one person or method is wrong I am sure there will be others that feel the exact opposite. The key is in finding what works for you and then making it a part of what you do.

Yip Man was once asked by two of his students. I believe it was Wong Sheung Long and Lok Sui (forgive my spelling) concerning a specific technique. When asked who performed it correctly, as both were different, the reply was both were right. This can serve as an illustration of just how personalized Wing Chun can become.

Also, keep in mind that someone may look good during a demo or on tape yet fall short in person. Conversely, the o[[osite is also true. Some look terrible when viewed on tape yet in person are very good. Best to try not to judge but keep an open mind and attempt to learn something.

Peace,

Dave

reneritchie
09-12-2001, 04:03 PM
Hi David,

That actually happened to myself and one of my classmates when we were learning SLT and the associated sticking drills. He was doing Tan Sao one way, I another, and when we checked with our sifu, he said the first was right in one context, the second in the other (due to the relative nature of application). It was a small enlightenment that, happily, broke me out of static, self-oriented thinking early one and plunged me into the confusion of dynamic conditions from which I still hope one day to emerge 8)

Rgds,

RR