PDA

View Full Version : 2x / week workout

Reggie1
12-06-2004, 12:12 PM
I don't have a lot of time outside of my MA training to get in the gym and workout, and I feel that my MA training doesn't address my upper body nearly as much as I would like. Here's what I currently do:

Mon--Rest
Tues--Cardio + Conditioning (lots of low stance work, lots of abs)
Wed--Technique class
Thurs--Same as Tuesday
Fri---chi sau
Sat/Sun--I will usually rest one of these days, the other I will either do bag work or do one of the trainforstrength workouts.

I was thinking about adding 2 weight days into the routine, but I just don't know exactly what I should be doing. Would it be worth my time to do an entire upper body workout on one day and an entire lower body workout the other?

I'm not looking for huge strengh gains. I'm honestly just looking for a mild/moderate increase in strengh / size.

Also, are there some of the workouts on trainforstrength that I could use instead of the weight training? I'm mostly worried about the loss of muscle mass I'm seeing in my arms, and I don't feel that my back gets enough work, either. Any help here would be appreciated.

Ford Prefect
12-06-2004, 12:34 PM
I'd say two full body workouts would be best. Something like:

Day 1:
Bench Press x8-x6-x4-x2-xFail (use the same weight as the first set)
Deadlift 2x5; 3x3
Shoulder Press x8-x6-x4-x2-xFail
Front Squat 3x5; 1x3, 1x2
Pull-ups 3xMax

Day 2:
Squat x8 x6 x4 x2 xFail
Bench Press 3xFail (use 135 lbs, 185 lbs, or 225 lbs depending on your strength levels. You should be able to get one set of 10 at least)
Goodmorning 3x5; 2x3
Weighted Pull-ups x8 x6 x4 x2 xFail
Military Press 5x5

That should do ya for a month or two. ;)

SevenStar
12-06-2004, 12:36 PM
what kind of equipment do you have acceess to?

Reggie1
12-06-2004, 12:42 PM
If I make it to the gym, I've got access to everything Gold's has to offer.

At home, it's significantly less. Just dumbbells and a pull-up bar. I'm not against buying some equipment either, especially since that's about all I will be wanting for Xmas.

norther practitioner
12-06-2004, 12:57 PM
That turns out to be a lot of reps Ford, sort of reminds me of a pyramid, would you do it in a row, or like a cirquit

Ford Prefect
12-06-2004, 01:29 PM
NP,

Nope. As sets for each exercise. 1:00 rest between sets since size gain is a goal. (Obviously he's also gotta eat right) This will help increase size and strength at the same time. It's 23 sets per workout. That means it's 23:00 of rest in there. Each set should not take over a minute, so this should only be a 45:00 workout. Intense sure, but you'll need it to make steady progress with only 2 workouts/week.

Reggie,

Trainforstrength has some great stuff. The swings and sprints workout would be good for you if you just have DB's and a pull-up bar. I have muscular arms compared to the average guy and get compliments for them, and I rarely do any direct work for arms.

FngSaiYuk
12-06-2004, 01:36 PM
I like Ford's posted workout, big note tho' that may seem obvious, but y'know how common common sense really is - anyways, make sure you have a trusted spotter!!!

Yah, it's obvious, yah it's common sense, but stupid me strained parts of my shoulder at the joint (who knows what got strained since I thought it wasn't bad enuff to go to the dr) a couple of months ago right after my shoulder press to failure set.

A trusted spotter would have saved me quite a bit of downtime - I'm still healing from it...

norther practitioner
12-06-2004, 02:20 PM
Thanks Ford,

even though ford ain't perfect...lol

or is it perfect for a ford....;)

Vash
12-06-2004, 03:29 PM
I do two full-body workouts a week. Soon as my elbows are finished doing whatever the hell it is they're doing, going to be back to doing pullups. Here's my currect cycle:

Assisted Pullups: 5xX (increases every workout to every other workout - going for reps)

1 Arm Dumbbell Scarecrow: 2x8 - 20lbs
1 Arm Cable Abduction: 2x8 - 40lbs

Peterson Step-Ups: 3x70seconds
Hyperextension: 4x5 (weighted - currently at 35lbs)
Single Leg Curl: 3x7

I've been able to maintain bodyweight of 200lbs on this, my cardio endurance has gone up (mainly due to my karate workouts: footwork drills, formwork, technique drills, some bagwork) and I'm losing fat.

After I cycle out of pullups, next upper body focus will be either side presses or some kinda Clean technique.