PDA

View Full Version : sensitivity... got it?

wingchunwsl
09-13-2001, 08:06 AM
is anyone here able to close his eyes and just know exactly what's going on?

my sifu did it today. pretty cool. hope one day in the future i'll be able to have such skill...

whippinghand
09-13-2001, 08:14 AM
yep, but you need really GOOD basics.

Roy D. Anthony
09-13-2001, 08:16 AM
Further than that, feeling your partner's intention.

sunkuen
09-13-2001, 08:17 AM
closing your eyes is the only way to go,in fact i answered this post with my eyes closed!!! :)

chi-kwai
09-13-2001, 03:16 PM
What did you type? I can't see it.

--
chi kwai

Roy D. Anthony
09-14-2001, 03:47 AM
Good one ChiKwan, by the way, how do you do Chi Kwan in your school?
As I have seen different versions in various Families.Just Curious.

aelward
09-14-2001, 04:00 AM
As Obi Wan answered, trust your feelings, your eyes can decieve you. In this case, the feeling equals the sensitivity in the arms. By the time you see an opening, it'll probably be already too late to hit; but if you feel it, or can set it up, all the better.

My best chi sao happens when my eyes are closed.

JK-
"Sex on TV doesn't hurt unless you fall off."

Nexus
09-14-2001, 04:19 AM
Thats why a blind man could potentially be a devistating martial artist if trained properly.

- Nexus

<font size="1">"Time, space, the whole universe - just an illusion! Often said, philosophically verifiable, even scientifically explainable. It's the <font color="blue">'just'</font> which makes the honest mind go crazy and the <font color="blue">ego</font> go berserk." - Hans Taeger</font>

Gluteus Maximus
09-14-2001, 05:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Thats why a blind man could potentially be a devistating martial artist if trained properly. [/quote]

Training him to recognise his attacker in advance and to bridge the gap might be a bit hard though!

Max

Yooby Yoody

whippinghand
09-14-2001, 07:31 AM
I don't imagine that a blind man would step into the ring with gloves on.

wingchunwsl
09-14-2001, 07:40 AM
dude but how could someone just close his eyes and know where the guy's gonna punch, etc?

whipping hand are u able to do that? just wonderin.

chi-kwai
09-14-2001, 03:33 PM
My screen name isn't Chi Kwan... its its kwai, which could also be spelled gwai. The words mean "crazy person" in Mandarin. Its one of the first things my girlfriend taught me to say in Chinese.

Remember, because this is English, inferring inflection in Chinese is impossible. That said, a word can mean many different things. There are five 'tones' in chinese, each one making a word mean different things, not to mention that each of these have different characters.

Sorry for the dissertation, I just figured I would clear that up and make a point on English written Chinese language at the same time. ;)

--
chi kwai

Roy D. Anthony
09-15-2001, 12:12 AM
My Sincere apologies Chi Kwai, for my misspelling your screen name.

whippinghand
09-15-2001, 12:22 AM
Are you talking about "close his eyes and know where the guy's gonna punch"?

Only when a connection (through chi sau) has been made and the other person disconnects to take a shot.

Perhaps, if I practised blind fold enough, without any initial connection, I might be able to do it without the connection. By I have no need for that yet.

Roy D. Anthony
09-16-2001, 05:43 AM
There are quite a few Blind Martial Artists.
They are quite skilled and seem to have their own version of vision like a sixth sense.

EmptyCup
09-16-2001, 05:48 AM
I agree with Whipping Hand, you can only do that if there is initial contact. If you are blindfolded and somebody kicks or punches you without making any contact with your limbs, you're going to get nailed unless you're acting in a martial arts movie :)

Even in chi sau, it works only to a certian level as once the arms disengage, you can attack but the chance of trading blows is great. In blindfolded chi sau, two or three blocks are usually followed by blind punching :)

Roy D. Anthony
09-17-2001, 12:26 AM
If blindfold ChiSao is producing blind punches in the air, you are not doing it right! The purpose of the exercise is being missed.
However, I am not blind as I think you are not also and I don't think Whipping Hand is either!
I have heard of arts that train quite successfully without initial contact. Worth investigating I guess. :)