PDA

View Full Version : What does everybody think about this instructor?

Reggie1
12-07-2004, 04:01 PM
http://www.bakido.com/

I have some friends who want to sign up at this place, and I don't know what to tell them. I think my school is a little expensive for them, and this place is pretty cheap + there aren't any contracts. The whole 10th degree thing throws me off a little, but it looks pretty legit. What do you guys think?

Ai Lek Ou Seun
12-07-2004, 04:18 PM
I think this says it all.

http://www.bakido.com/welcome/portrait.jpg

norther practitioner
12-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Says that he has an artsy friend...:rolleyes:

red5angel
12-07-2004, 04:20 PM
well, first of all if you think your school is better maybe you should recommend that anyway. Otherwise why don't you go with them to check it out and see what you think then?

it also looks mostly like a kids school.

My main fear would be that it look slike these gys may take what they do a little too seriously, but osme guys are into that (can we say Qi?)

Ai Lek Ou Seun
12-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
Says that he has an artsy friend...:rolleyes:

How do you know it's not a self-portrait? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Reggie1
12-07-2004, 04:24 PM
Yeah, but they don't want to actually pay the $$ to go to my school. Apparently good hardcore Kung Fu is too expensive for them.

But I'll probably go check it out, and the guys at Bullshido said there is a topic somewhere about it, so maybe I can dig that up.

red5angel
12-07-2004, 04:25 PM
tell them to get their priorities straight, either they pay for good instruction, or they just buy a pair of the pajamas, run around in the park screaming kiais and try to pick up chicks.

Reggie1
12-07-2004, 04:26 PM
Also--is it bad if I think that they are McDojo kind of guys? I don't know if they'd be all into the hardcore stuff.

And is it bad that part of me wants them to go there, so I can continue to beat their asses on a regular basis? :D

red5angel
12-07-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Reggie1
And is it bad that part of me wants them to go there, so I can continue to beat their asses on a regular basis? :D

LOL! Good plan!

what if it backfires and they start kicking your ass!

Samurai Jack
12-07-2004, 04:29 PM
He's made up his own martial art. That's not inherently wrong, but it's a bad sign when all of your accrediting agencies are bogus. Check out his credentials here (http://www.bakido.com/founder/index.htm).

Anyone can get recognized through the "Martial Arts Hall of Fame" by paying a nominal fee. They accredit alot of charlatans. His Philosphy P.hd is also bogus as it comes from a diploma mill known as the "College of Advanced Education and the Department of Martial Arts Studies", which is linked to the so called "Martial Arts Hall of Fame". In fact all of his credentials appear to come from them.

He probably has actually taught most of the agencies he claims to have taught through one or two seminars. I know of two local martial arts schools in Oregon who claim to be teaching Police Departments on the grounds that they have enrolled a police officer as a student at some time in the past. This is a common tactic for marketing a McDojo.

The "various Anti-Terrorist Teams in Central America and the Caribbean" as well as the "United Nations Security Forces; Geneva Switzerland" claims are suspicious because they aren't verifiable.

Bottom line, he may be a great martial artist, but there are plenty of good teachers who also happen to be honest as well. There's an old saying about the teacher being more important than the art. Send your friend elsewhere.

Reggie1
12-07-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
LOL! Good plan!

what if it backfires and they start kicking your ass!

Then I'm moving to Alaska.

rogue
12-07-2004, 06:17 PM
That's an awful lot of 5th degree black belts. Usually you get your 10th degree after you are dead.

The "various Anti-Terrorist Teams in Central America and the Caribbean" as well as the "United Nations Security Forces; Geneva Switzerland" claims are suspicious because they aren't verifiable. Since the U.N. can't fight it's way out of a paper bag he could be their trainer. Who needs these guys (http://www.ciponline.org/facts/sof.htm) when you have a 10th degree black belt knife thrower?

Samurai Jack
12-07-2004, 06:30 PM
He probably figures that since he invented his own art, he can claim any level of mastery he wants too.

IronFist
12-07-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Samurai Jack
He's made up his own martial art. That's not inherently wrong, but it's a bad sign when all of your accrediting agencies are bogus. Check out his credentials here (http://www.bakido.com/founder/index.htm).

Anyone can get recognized through the "Martial Arts Hall of Fame" by paying a nominal fee. They accredit alot of charlatans. His Philosphy P.hd is also bogus as it comes from a diploma mill known as the "College of Advanced Education and the Department of Martial Arts Studies", which is linked to the so called "Martial Arts Hall of Fame". In fact all of his credentials appear to come from them.

He probably has actually taught most of the agencies he claims to have taught through one or two seminars. I know of two local martial arts schools in Oregon who claim to be teaching Police Departments on the grounds that they have enrolled a police officer as a student at some time in the past. This is a common tactic for marketing a McDojo.

The "various Anti-Terrorist Teams in Central America and the Caribbean" as well as the "United Nations Security Forces; Geneva Switzerland" claims are suspicious because they aren't verifiable.

Bottom line, he may be a great martial artist, but there are plenty of good teachers who also happen to be honest as well. There's an old saying about the teacher being more important than the art. Send your friend elsewhere.

0wned.

The Willow Sword
12-08-2004, 09:01 AM
What "Expensive Hardcore Kung-fu school" do you go to?:rolleyes:

You know there is also something to be said for schools that charge a hell of a lot of money for teaching.

Eastwind:last i checked was 90-100$ a month (toofukin expensive if you ask me)

Tom Ghorings overpriced school of tai chi chuan(need i say more?)

and the McKwoon i was formerly at is now pretty expensive,,what is it now like 70-80 dollars a month?.

Maybe these prices are okay for all you rich boys;) .

hehe just pokin at ya,,,,TWS

red5angel
12-08-2004, 09:39 AM
while cheaper is always more cool, I think a serious martial artist would pay what he felt he had to to get good instruction. I've known students who have paid literally hundreds of a dollars a month because not only do they have to pay to learn but they have to travel to meet their instructor, alot of tims by plane.
Money in my opinion is the smallest of all obstacles.

Reggie1
12-08-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by The Willow Sword
What "Expensive Hardcore Kung-fu school" do you go to?:rolleyes:

Jeff Hughes' 7* school. I'm not trying to say that I go to some super-elite hardcore school. Just that what our class does is more physically demanding than the other schools I visited. I've been on the verge of puking many times during class. But I like that, it's a really hard workout.

And don't get me wrong, I don't like the fact that my school charges as much as it does. But I love the training, so I fork it out all the same.

The Willow Sword
12-08-2004, 11:30 AM
no offense at all. i know you have said you go to jeff hughes before. :D . He is a good teacher and an honorable guy.

yeah i just wish that i could afford tuition at the places i would like to go. as far as a serious martial artist paying what he/she needed to pay to get good instruction. i say a "WISE" martial artist,,,bugets him/herself so that they have the food to buy and the rent to pay and so on. ;) .

Peace,,,TWS

mortal
12-08-2004, 12:43 PM
10th degree black belt!!!!!!

I love it! I laughed so hard!

I can't breath! lololol

Reggie1
12-08-2004, 01:28 PM
Willow Sword--No offense taken here either. :) I knew you were just hacking on me.

I guess my justification to myself for paying as much as I do is the fact that I'm blessed with the extra $$ to be able to spend on something like this. Although I did have to sacrifice my motorcycle...

David Jamieson
12-08-2004, 04:32 PM
What do I think of this guy?

hmmmmm....

not much I guess.

:p

Kymus
12-08-2004, 06:07 PM
The dude is using a lot of BS marketing techniques - which says to me that he's BS. First it talks about his 6 first place championships - but then elaborates that that is in knife throwing not uber 10th degree karate. Another thing that doesn't make much sense to me - and maybe I misunderstood something - but wtf is this "grandmaster council" thing? If the dude created his own system, why the heck would he needed to get tested for his 10th degree belt (why stop at ten? Shoot for 20! watch the moron mcdojo jaws drop when they see a belt with 20 stripes of awesomeness)? All I saw was what looked like either a school test (hense the large ammounts of people in the backround with cameras and the other mats), with the guy being surrounded by jr Black Belts. Are those the grandmasters?? Then we have the testimonials... I would really like to know if any of those people still attend the school or even if anyone can say that they genuinely exist. The dude looks fake to me. A fake Dr. McDojo

David Jamieson
12-08-2004, 06:19 PM
well, having read more:

his phd is dubious at best and I haven't found out if he was actually a cop up here in Calgary yet. But, I would say, it's not that hard to find out who the current and past alumni are of various police forces all overthe place.

which in and of itself is weird seeing as we're all living in this post 911 world of ours. It's kinda weird to be able to find out who are still officers on the force even if they aren't undercover.

I guess texas is far enough from Calgary to maybe get away with it and Calgary is known to texans and coloradans and montanaites because of the whole "visit alberta! we're practically americans! and like a canadian version of texas!" thing. :p