PDA

View Full Version : Knees click

_William_
12-07-2004, 10:12 PM
Sitting at my chair swinging my feet forward and back, I can feel both my knees clicking. The click seems to be originating at the side of the knees beside the kneecap. My knees have been clicking like this for about 3 months.

Anyone else experiencing this or know what it is? Is it bad? Could it be related to squatting and cleaning?

IronFist
12-07-2004, 10:56 PM
My knees click when I bend them all the way, and they've done it since I was in 6th grade.

I feel and hear the pop, but there's no pain (knock on wood). My situation may be different from yours, so I don't know.

Mr Punch
12-08-2004, 04:59 AM
Stop swinging your legs!:D

I've had sporadically clicking knees on and off for 12 years or so. The aiki aggravated it for a while but got better when the sensei stopped us doing stretches excessively at the start of class before we were properly warmed up. Tai chi and strangely given the odd stance wing chun helped it considerably. Sometimes it hurts but I have a history of arthritis in my family, so that's tough I guess. (I don't eat meat and rarely eat dairy products - which are both supposed to be antagonizers to arthritis) Running often hurts, so I always make sure to stretch if I'm running, and I always stretch after a workout. When I squat a lot (though not with weights) and do pistols, if I concentrate on my form, it doesn't hurt and I notice there is no pain for many days afterwards.

You probably just have to play it by ear. Unless you have a really good expensive surgeon who can give you exploratory (and a friend of mine was pretty much crippled after several explorations, although how much this was due to the original complaint she doesn't know) it's probably better to just carefully observe the apparent causes yourself.

manofkent
12-08-2004, 08:00 AM
Get some of this http://www.gnc.co.uk/health/product.asp?p=546&xs=EC4F58FE9F6A4351A81FEEF29B698555

It worked for lots of people i know.

However...
1, its really expensive
2, its really expensive,
3, when u stop taking it the clicking will come back,
4, its really expensive!!!

Ive not used it for my knees, cos they click but dont hurt.

red5angel
12-08-2004, 09:02 AM
mine too. Sometimes when it gets really cold I have to sort of crack my knee like you would crack your knuckle. I think it's pretty normal.

Ming Yue
12-08-2004, 12:51 PM
mine crunch. both of 'em. like grinding pebbles. no pain though.

I tweaked my left one recently - slipped on a sweaty floor - and now it hurts but doesn't crunch. go figure...

there are supplements you can take to help maintain connective tissue, Glucosamine Chondroitin among them, that may help...

stubbs
12-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Mine click, pop and crunch quite a bit but they seem to go away with gentle exercise. Sometimes if I don't exercise for a while and I'm doing a lot of driving my left knee pops quite badly and I feel the knee cap move a little. All that repetitive movement from putting my foot down on the clutch makes it worse. If I go for a short run every now and then my knee's don't bother me at all.

If you're going to take glucosamine I'd take it in liquid form - it's supposed to get absorbed quicker and easier that way. You might also want to try cod liver oil, flax seed oil or green lipped mussel extract. I used to take supplements for my joints but I don't now. If I train sensibly my joints are fine.

Manofkent - that place is really quite expensive. When I buy those kind of supplements I get them from www.zipvit.co.uk - you can get 3 times the amount for half the price of that GNC link you showed. They just don't come in any fancy packaging - just re-sealable plastic bags (which I prefer anyway).
________
Yamaha sw396 (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_SW396)

_William_
12-08-2004, 05:12 PM
Thanks everyone.

manofkent
12-09-2004, 03:21 AM
Thanks stubbs.

I didnt know about that website. However ive got a gold card for gnc (i know i had to pay £10 for it but ive done that now) So i get 20% off all marked prices and i dont have to pay P&P.