PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu in Okinawa, Japan?

GQ_LS
12-08-2004, 05:38 AM
Hello, I'm new to this forum and I would like to know if anybody out there has any information on wether there are any active Kung Fu schools in Okinawa, Japan. I started studying Hung Fut in Maryland, but since being stationed here with the Marine Corps, I haven't had any luck finding Kung Fu. Any help with this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Mr Punch
12-08-2004, 05:40 AM
I don't know I'm afraid, but I would love to practise some of the genuine Okinawan karate down there.

Some of it has a kungfu flavour, so if you can't find fu don't limit your options.

GQ_LS
12-08-2004, 06:17 AM
Thanks Mat, I just did a search on Yahoo and found a class on 'Seiei Kan Shaolin Kung Fu System'. http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/seieikanshaolinkfutc/
The classes are offered at an Air Force base not far from where I'm stationed. And you're right, Karate does have a very strong Fu background, but with the system above they go the other way around, they wear karate gi's. I was curious as to why they did till I read the intro. This is part of the explination;
"Since there was so much animosity towards China, Grand Master Ming changed the school name to Shaolin-Do. This gave the new school a Japanese sounding name and he and his students wore The Japanese style GI instead of the traditional dress of the temples of China."
I'm gonna talk to the Sifu and find out if he has any more classes after 4:30 P.M.

Mr Punch
12-08-2004, 07:55 AM
Well **** me it's Shaolin-do.

There goes the neighbourhood. I can't believe that's being taught in Okinawa.

That's the end of that thread (well in another 8-9 pages of slagging!).

I don't have much to say about Shaolin-do (just search this forum), but that it isn't kungfu and it isn't karate. Maybe in Okinawa they have to be better, or maybe because they can get people from the base, they can afford to be worse... dunno.

My last word is, if you're in the home of the best karate in the world and you practise Shaolin-do, you're a fool. No offence - there is an 'if'!!! :D

Kristoffer
12-08-2004, 09:06 AM
dude. it don't have to be the Shaolin Do you know from USA.

Kristoffer
12-08-2004, 09:07 AM
oh wait. yeah it is

(took a look on the site)

Mr Punch
12-08-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Kristoffer
dude. it don't have to be the Shaolin Do you know from USA. Dude, what you talking about? I've never been to the USA... I wouldn't wanna go to a place that full of rednecks and people who criticize places without having been there...!

Kristoffer
12-08-2004, 09:33 AM
take you're flame suit on Mat u might need it.
I thought you were an American living in Tokyo?

oh and GQ_LS, I highly recomend you too search for training elsewere. Those people are not serious nor are they viewed seriously in the world of MA. Search for Gojo Ryu (or something like that.) Or ask this to Vash on this board. He knows alot of good Karate.

Reggie1
12-08-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Mat
Dude, what you talking about? I've never been to the USA... I wouldn't wanna go to a place that full of rednecks and people who criticize places without having been there...!

That's too funny. He criticizes the people from a place he's never been for the fact that they criticize places without actually going there. Hypocrisy at its finest!

Judge Pen
12-08-2004, 09:37 AM
Actually, this group has no real affiliation with SD. Lawrence Day split after obtaining a first or a second degree and went off on his own.

MasterKiller
12-08-2004, 10:13 AM
After working himself through the ranks He earned his 4th Degree Black belt in Kung Fu. After many years Grand Master The’ and Grand Master Day went their separate ways for reasons that will not be discussed in this format.

Dark Knight
12-08-2004, 10:30 AM
Sin Kwan The’ was a phenomenal student and by the age of 25 years old he was given the title of Grand Master

And they wonder why they get a bad name

Shaolinlueb
12-08-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Dark Knight
And they wonder why they get a bad name

so? didnt lily lau get the title of GrandMaster at an early age too?

Judge Pen
12-08-2004, 11:52 AM
Excuse me, 4th. Wow, I should split off and declare myself Grandmaster too.

MasterKiller
12-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Sorry, but 4th degree black is pretty high.

Judge Pen
12-08-2004, 12:14 PM
Well it doesn't seem that high now that I'm on the cusp of that rank in SD myself.

sean_stonehart
12-08-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Judge Pen
Excuse me, 4th. Wow, I should split off and declare myself Grandmaster too.

Hell ya... GM of Babes & Bourbon-fu....

MasterKiller
12-08-2004, 12:41 PM
Wasn't Sin The' just a 4th or 5th when he beat all the high-ranking black belts at a tournament and had his teacher (or did it himself, according to some sources) promote him to 10th?

Judge Pen
12-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Don't know. Wasn't there.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet MK. :p

web777
12-08-2004, 05:18 PM
Back to the topic: Take Okinawa-Te. It's a combination of KF and Karate. I used to take as a kid and it's very simlar to Hung Gar.

Mr Punch
12-08-2004, 11:32 PM
LOL Reggie! :D You retard :D ! I take it they don't have jokes where you come from...? Irony...? Sarcasm...? A brain?!

Becca
12-09-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Mat
Dude, what you talking about? I've never been to the USA... I wouldn't wanna go to a place that full of rednecks and people who criticize places without having been there...!
Oh! The irony!!! All you ever do is critisize US, Mat! ROFLMAO:D

Becca
12-09-2004, 02:25 AM
Psst! Is that enough irony? Should I try humer next? ;) :p

Mr Punch
12-09-2004, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Becca
Oh! The irony!!! All you ever do is critisize US, Mat! ROFLMAO:D That was the whole point of the ****ing gag!

Next time I'll just make sure I put enough :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: in there...

:rolleyes:

Although not entirely true... I criticize UK and Japan too...!

Mr Punch
12-09-2004, 03:07 AM
Apart from which, I don't criticize America, I criticize Bush and his govt, fat *******s, and gluttonous/wasteful culture...

But if the cap fits...:p

Reggie1
12-09-2004, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Mat
LOL Reggie! :D You retard :D ! I take it they don't have jokes where you come from...? Irony...? Sarcasm...? A brain?!

You never know. ;) Most of the people I run across on Internet chat boards are actually stupid enough to post something like that seriously. Guess I haven't been around this one long enough. :D

Mr Punch
12-09-2004, 09:17 AM
I'm a bit of an abrasive old git, but I'm not stupid, or a hypocrite, or a racist... after all, you Yanks aren't even a race...! :p :D

Cheers for not taking it the wrong way Reggie... eventually!!!;) :D

Now can we get back to laughing at Shaolin-do again...? It is Xmas!